NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Has the name "wii" grown on you?

Remember when it was unveiled? Remember the "Revolution"? How serious it all was! And when we heard the real name out came the guffaws, chortles and sneers from all corners of the globe. Apart from Nintendo, who just plodded on; selling the word that was "wii".

Now it's almost a household name and is on the lips of millions: How do we view the word Wii now?

The initial shock of the word has faded and now it surrounds us. Just like "Google" and "Meebo" and, to some extent "Dyson". Do you now feel embarassed saying the word Wii? Do people know what you're talking about? Do people care about the name? Does this thread make sense....?!

I personaly really like the simplicity of the name. Yet I too was shocked for months. When it was unveiled I really thought the name would be a self-created hurdle by Nintendo. But I really think it's a wonderful name now. And it's a defining name not just in the simplicity of it. But in rebranding a console into something more, well: meaningful and accessible. And I guess that's what Nintendo wanted all along. Not a play "station" or an X "Box" or a Game "cube". Something accessible, friendly-sounding and, just, for anyone.

I'm sure Wii is a name we will all remember when we look back on the industry - For many different reasons.

it has.. I can't really make a longer post on this.. I didn't like it at first maybe for around a week or so..

I thought the thing wouln't sell because of it.. NIntendo were right there and it is now pure genius.

I still have mixed feelings about the name. Don't get me wrong I love my Wii but looking back I feel in some respects Nintendo didn't really capitalize on the name as much as they could. Wii - We - Us - You and Me, more than one person. So Why couldn't they have bundled the console with two Wiimotes and nunchucks. It's not like they can't afford it. The console is designed to appeal to everyone afterall.

Also I feel some third parties arn't taking the console seriously due to the name - Wii - Wee - Cute - kiddie. Although I'm probably wrong here, at least I hope so. I'd just like more 3rd parties to put their larger more serious games on Nintendo's machine. Mind you the thing is still under a year old so anything is possible yet. I do enjoy telling people how much I enjoy playing with my Wii and they look at me sideways thinking "ok um...kinky" All in all it's a unique name and I think it works in Nintendo's favour.

Im not sure people would not buy Cola if it was called Freddie.

In some cases a bad name can mean a bad product, but in this case the name is so weird that the product must be awesome!

I dont think twice about the name anymore, maybe it would be different if the Wii was a big failure.

Still ain't convinced it is a very clever name, but in all fairness, I couldn't care less. It doesn't really matter when you're playing the games. Xbox is an awful name, but that doesn't bother me either. And let's face it: "Playstation" isn't an exactly good name either. Still, it's become a brand. Lesson from this: consolenames generally suck. Still think Sega Saturn and Dreamcast weren't too shabby a names. I really, really liked the Dreamcast logo! Simple and good, especially in the European blue-version.

I still think that Nintendo Go had a nice ring to it. It sounds 'activating', not to mention it means 5 in Japanese, and being Nintendo's fifth home console and all.

A rose, eh. A rose. :wink:

And for our daily nostagia-fix, the ficture that started the Nintendo Go-hoax:

nin_go_brochure.jpg

It's better than the name Revolution, but worse than the names GameCube and N64. I don't mind it though.

Love it, always have.

Ditto. I think it's helped a lot of casual players overcome the stigma attached with buying videogames. I can imagine mums asking for a Wii, but I can't imagine them asking for a GamesStation Turbo 3000X.

It should be a very good name. Nintendo wanted to make a console accessible to everybody, which they have done, with 1 game. The only game which makes the name good is Wii Sports.

At first I hated it, now I see how it's become so mainstream, it just works so well. It reminds me of iPod, a bit bizarre and nonsensical but captures your attention. I think my initial hatred of it came from the fact it was so different.

Personally? I hated it at first... i still don't like it.

I was just shocked for the first few seconds, after thinking about it I started loving it and realized it was marketing genious.

I never hated it in the first place. I never exactly cared about the name, more about the console itself.

The name serves its purpose....to the point and everyone tends to know you arent referring to toilet actions.

With a bit more research and thought they may have ended up calling it 'dave'. :P

I was Like WHAT? at first. Then giggled at some of the "jokes" about the name. :D

Then my non educated (at games) friends made the same lame jokes and silly puns i had heard ages before and it was no longer mildly amusing.

I liked the name! after my initial reaction. :)

I have to admit when I first heard the name I was in the same crowd giving the wii wii puu puu jokes. But now just as nintendo said like stupid names such as google, virgin, yahoo the name has grown and has become acceptable within society. It has become more about the inclusion of being together, and less about urine. And anyone caught still makes such jokes are pointed at and frowned upon and called an ass for doing so.

The name is still silly, but that jokes and all the stuff has worn down and now everyone doesn't care about the name anymore. It's become a big thing like saying PS2 and 360.

I was just shocked for the first few seconds, after thinking about it I started loving it and realized it was marketing genious.

I didn't like it when it was revealed but i understood the marketing move right away. Some people at the time thought people would be more interested in a Revolution than on a Wii though.

Sign in to follow this