NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Will Wii have ANOTHER amazing Christmas?

Without reading the other comments i'll just say what i think.

The wii will do fantastically this Christmas.. But it's a bit of a shame that it seems they could not get wii fit out before christmas.. That is a major missed oppertunity. It seems it's a good christmas for the hardcore gamer but there really isn't much for the non-gamer this year.. Mario kart is also a missed oppertunity.

Battalion wars could suprise people If it's as good as i think it will be. But the mainselling point will be super mario galaxy if it's advertised as the NEXT big mario game since mario 64.

360 will have a great christmas as well just because of halo 3. It will widen the gap between the 360 and ps3 further.... it's amazing how one game will do this.

The ds is a little disappointing this christmas.. Maybe I'm missing the point but i'll im seeing is zelda and phoenix wright... a shame really.

psp is going to do shit.....yet again.

The ps3 is in deep trouble... with metal gear delayed We will just have to see how badly the damage and halo 3 and super mario galaxy will cause.

I agree, Wii sales don't even need driving, they're in overdrive already but the combination of both Christmas and Mario will see them go into hyper-overdrive!

Poor old SONY, after two generations of brutal dominance it all looks pretty bleak. MGS4 is their saviour, but as time rolls by things just get worse and worse for them.

The problem for the PS3 is that once such a gap opens up, it gets unthinkable for it to be closed. It must be a hard decision for them on pricing as well as the lack of games. In one financial report they said they would've actually lost more had the console been a success.

SONY are inbetween a rock and a hard place. On one hand they've been significantly bested on price and pick up and play accessibility by the Wii, on the other hand they're being beaten on price and traditional game in beautiful HD with great online multiplayer by MS.

What's worse is with both their competitors releasing major killer apps at Christmas and Microsofts almost endless pots of money which allow the 360 to win a pricing war with the PS3 it looks grim indeed.

Hopefully Wii will be just as popular minus the disappointed little kids who's parents wanted to sleep in on launch day, ect.

I agree, Wii sales don't even need driving, they're in overdrive already but the combination of both Christmas and Mario will see them go into hyper-overdrive!

How? I mean, they are sold out now, so at christmas the demand will be huge but there won't be enough Wii's to go round. This means that the sales can't go into "hyperdrive" intill nintendo start producing more than they are now.

well Mario galaxy and mario n sonic are already on my XMAS list. Theres 3 more wii games I plan on getting before then

Super Paper mario

Metroid prime 3

DBZ BT 3

(along with the simpsons game and vp party animals for the 360)

Any of the games I don't get will be put on my list

Wii be the number 1 console simply because of Mario Galaxy. I don't think there will be shortages though. People who couldn't get one last year have steadily been buying one across the course of this year.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that Metroid games are never commercially successful. It will be popular amongst the hardcore but unless it's advertised effectively I can't see it doing that well.

________

New mexico marijuana dispensary

Edited by the_mars_volta

Although I beleive that Wii will sell a lot this Xmas, how massive it will be depends on Nintendo's advertising strategy. If they manage to produce some excellent and compelling adverts showcasing both the traditional gameplay of mario and metroid alongside the family friendly gameplay of wii sports and mario & sonic then they will be huge. If they sit on it and just go by word of mouth, then they will just sell well.

The wii will do fantastically this Christmas.. But it's a bit of a shame that it seems they could not get wii fit out before christmas.. That is a major missed oppertunity.

Good point, I couldn't agree more. Last Christmas saw Wii shortages because of the hardcore Nintendo crowd snapping them up on launch and the casuals buying Wii Sports. This Christmas, hardware sales will be driven mainly by the in-betweens and the casuals. Wii Fit would have been perfect for the latter.

If there's one reason why they haven't, maybe it's because they think the Wii will sell out without it. So they're keeping it until next year to keep it sold out the year round. :)

If Nintendo actually want to make a Wii a success this Christmas then they need to ship more consoles. They must have a sneaky stash somewhere for Galaxy or else it will hinder their own sales.

Well it's October now so let the wallet killing begin!

phew.. im really looking forward to Galaxy and Prime.. I bought a 360 around april and have hardly used my wii since because there has not been any games out for it that interests me.. played some "old" GC games on it and thats about it..

If Nintendo actually want to make a Wii a success this Christmas then they need to ship more consoles. They must have a sneaky stash somewhere for Galaxy or else it will hinder their own sales.

Well it's October now so let the wallet killing begin!

I'm surprised that Nintendo hasn't managed to catch up with production yet. It's an amazing feat that a console is still selling out a year after it's launch.

It's also probably a good thing to know that the systems are sold out, as when a product is unavailable people want it. Those PS3s warming the shelves certainly aren't attracting the masses.

Reggie said they would be able to ramp up the production for Christmas, so lets see how it goes.

If they have enough consoles (and Galaxy) to go around, I cannot see anything else than a succesful Christmas for Wii.

Reggie said they would be able to ramp up the production for Christmas, so lets see how it goes.

If they have enough consoles (and Galaxy) to go around, I cannot see anything else than a succesful Christmas for Wii.

Good point, I remember reading that too. I still hope it sells out.

Recent interview with Reggie @ siliconvalley.com - - About Wii supply and demand:

Q

What is it about your manufacturing system that doesn't allow you to catch up with demand?

A

The issue is not a lack of production. The issue is we went in with a curve that was aggressive, but the demand has been substantially more than that. And the ability to ramp up production and to sustain it is not a switch that you flick on. We're working very hard to make sure that consumers are satisfied this holiday, but I can't guarantee that we're going to meet demand. As a matter of fact, I can tell you on the record we won't.

It looks as if Nintendo don't even know what to expect. Expect a rush. Ebay may be a busy place this December...Again...!

Sign in to follow this