NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Mario Galaxy Vs Halo 3

I still think people are just making excuses when they talk about replayability and the like.

So basically you choose not to believe what people that have played the game have to say about the game, instead you're own opinion in which you admittedly haven't played the game?

Seriously why are you arguing against something that you haven't experienced for yourself? Who are people more likely to believe when making a statement about the game? You, someone who has never played Halo 3 and clearly has a dislike for the game despite never playing it, or me someone who disliked Halo 2 but has been won over by the greatness of its sequel.

And by the way I'm on my third play-through on the campaign now, ask the people on these boards who own the game and how many times they've played through it, this stuff about replay value isn't crap.

So basically you choose not to believe what people that have played the game have to say about the game, instead you're own opinion in which you admittedly haven't played the game?

Seriously why are you arguing against something that you haven't experienced for yourself? Who are people more likely to believe when making a statement about the game? You, someone who has never played Halo 3 and clearly has a dislike for the game despite never playing it, or me someone who disliked Halo 2 but has been won over by the greatness of its sequel.

And by the way I'm on my third play-through on the campaign now, ask the people on these boards who own the game and how many times they've played through it, this stuff about replay value isn't crap.

Fair point I'd say. :blank:

*gives thread Revive*

So whats the score now? Both have released anyone know the official numbers thus far?

Also, I am pleased that Nintendo advertised this respectably.

*gives thread Revive*

So whats the score now? Both have released anyone know the official numbers thus far?

Also, I am pleased that Nintendo advertised this respectably.

500.000 during its first week in America, I believe.

Going on first week Euro sales Halo 3 absolutely destroyed Mario. In the UK its about 370k to 70k launch week sales, other Euro sales won't make a massive difference on the ratio. Not surprising at all really. Most people with a 360 a hardcore gamers who knew about and wanted Halo 3. Most Wii gamers are casual who don't have a clue about games.

Although Mario Galaxy is selling quite well for its quality, Halo 3 has shattered every software record everywhere, it seems. It was expected really.

Galaxy managed to shift more consoles than Halo 3 did though. Guess the stereotype 360 Halo fanboy is true to a large extent.

I don't know how you can say galaxy has shifted more consoles than Halo 3. Wii's sell out regardless of games, if a shop has them it can sell them. Judging by the current attach rate of about 5% I don't think you could really say Mario has had much of an effect at all.

Doesn't mean Mario had any effect on it though. People most definately bought 360's to play Halo, I doubt quite so many bought a Wii to play Mario.

Numbers prove you wrong though.

I prefer to stick with numbers myself.

I don't doubt that the Wii sold more the week that Mario was released. Its the link between the two that causes the problem.

I don't know how you can say galaxy has shifted more consoles than Halo 3. Wii's sell out regardless of games' date=' if a shop has them it can sell them. Judging by the current attach rate of about 5% I don't think you could really say Mario has had much of an effect at all.[/quote']

I think you're probably right; Wii's are selling out anyway currently, so you can't really tell if Galaxy is causing the console to sell out.

Hardware sales rose something like 125% from the previous week when Mario launched. I think that says it all as far as selling Wii's go.

I still think Galaxy will outsell Halo 3 anyway, I always said it'd take a long long time period and this is only the beginning. Of course Halo 3 was going to outsell it at the start, historically both games sell in entirely different ways.

How can the Wii sales possibly rise 125%, when they were struggling to keep up to demand in the first place?

I'm in the "Mario will sell more in the long term" camp. I look at the DS and Wii, two very similar consoles in terms of market, and the XBox and 360, also two very similar consoles in terms of market. Then I look at Halo and New Super Mario Bros. The first's sales tailed off and the seconds are still keeping strong. Still in Japan's top 20 I believe, or at least last time I checked.

Most people with a 360 a hardcore gamers who knew about and wanted Halo 3. Most Wii gamers are casual who don't have a clue about games.

What are you basing that on?

Most 360 owners are spotty 16-18 year olds, with black Linkin Park hoodies and skateboards.

See?

Most 360 owners are spotty 16-18 year olds, with black Linkin Park hoodies and skateboards.

See?

Actually they're 12 year old American kids. Or guys thinking they're gangstas.

Trust me, i've played enough on XBOX Live to know this.

See?

Mainly I'd base it on who the consoles are aimed at and the people that are buying them. Like it or not the Wii is aimed at and bought by people who are not the traditional gamer, and this is showing in the sales of software and hardware.

Also, Wii hardware sales were down the week Metroid launched, does that mean that the game was so bad it kept people away? Of course not, there was just less supply that week. Along the same lines this week, more in supply means more have sold. I doubt a great deal of that is down to the launch of Mario.

Hardware sales where up when Mario was released probably because Nintendo released more stock that week given the the console sells out anyway there is no way of proving that they wouldnt have sold as many if Mario wasn't released.

wuuhuuu... my brother just bought his kids a Wii because of Mario Galaxy..

He didn't buy a xbox360 because of Halo 3...

Galaxy 1

Halo 0

Going on first week Euro sales Halo 3 absolutely destroyed Mario. In the UK its about 370k to 70k launch week sales' date=' other Euro sales won't make a massive difference on the ratio. Not surprising at all really. Most people with a 360 a hardcore gamers who knew about and wanted Halo 3. Most Wii gamers are casual who don't have a clue about games.[/quote']

Bull.

Fact is Halo just sells well on day 1 because Microsoft are great at generating hype. The fact that Mario Galaxy is the fastest selling Mario title in the US ever should tell you that the game has legs. Mario 64 sold 10 million copies, more than Halo 1 and 2, Mario Bros 3 is the best selling game of all time.

Considering that pedigree and that Galaxy is selling faster than either of them I have no idea why people are so worried.

What are you actually saying is bull?

Halo sells well on day 1 and its hype that immediately goes away, Mario sells well on day 1 and its got legs and will carry on selling at this level?

If we look at your previous Mario games it would seem to me the franchise is going one way:

Mario 3 - Best ever

Mario 64 - 10m

Sunshine - not even a mention

Seems like the series hit its peak a long time ago from that.

Both the 360 and the Wii have roughly similar levels of consoles in homes and the fact is that Mario hasn't done as well as Halo 3.

I say we wait for Christmas and see how both games fair. Although Mario is more Christmas-y.

Not that it matters :P