NEurope
Retro_Link

Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers

480t.jpg

http://www.cubed3.com/news/8686/1/Babes_&_Gore_Come_to_Wii

Nintendo News | Babes & Gore Come to Wii

Oneechanbara comes to Wii...

D3 Publisher has revealed at this year's Tokyo Games Show that 3D action game 'Oneechanbara R' is coming Nintendo's Wii next year. Roughly translated as 'Older Sister Sword Battle R', the game appears to involve sexy women fighting against zombies in a very bloody environment. From early reports it appears that you can use the Wii remote for sword slashing throughout the game.

For an idea of how it plays, below is a trailer for the Xbox 360 title:

And here is that Trailer:

Just to make it clear, that's the trailer for Oneechanbara Vortex on 360,

The Wii will be getting Oneechanbara R, a new game I guess, or maybe a Wii remake of the 360 title?

There also seems to have been a playable version at TGS!

320si.jpg

Looks really poor and bad to me. It's a button masher, which can't translate well to Wii, and doesn't look good for a 360 game at all (should be promising for Wii though). Also, the blood is only used as a wow-factor in this game and that's never a sign of intelligent game design.

As opposed to making a new thread about this, I'll just epicly bump all hell out of this one :D

I bought this last night, would have posted impressions earlier, but the whole site being down stopped that. So I ended up posting elsewhere and will be copy/pasting it. Laziness ftw!(at least I didn't just post a link and tell you to do it yourself)

I did the first chapter/mission/level with one character. That was all I needed to let me know my $30 was well spent. Controls are more or less how you'd expect, move with the joystick lock on with Z, swing remote and/or nunchuk at highspeed. At first I thought my motions weren't registering...well maybe they weren't, idk. I was trying to make different motions, and time then with my attacks.....not necessary. They're might be specific motions, but idk the manual and game don't really go into specifics, if it weren't for 2 extra languages, the manual would be 5 pages, including the inside of the cover. About a quarter of the way through though I just knew what to do, and what speeds. So it's easy to pick up, and it works just fine once you get it.

Graphics, are pretty good. Character models are very very good looking, although a little aliased. Environments are of the straight forward linear style like DMC, and....umm I didn't pay any attention to them as I was too busy slaughtering zombies and running for more. You'll also see an impressive amount of Zombies on screen, more so than you'll see in the Dead Rising Wii port. Although, that's open and this is closed. I don't know what the framerate is set at but the action is fast and I haven't seen it slow down yet.

Sound, it's alright, some generic rock themes that seem to fit. Voice Acting is in Japanese so.....I guess it's good idk, I don't speak it. Most sounds are zombies and your swords. Nothing grates on the ears.

Blood....it's everywhere. Gears of War and God of War wish they had this much blood. Unfortunately it disappears off of the scene pretty quick, it covers your screen quite often too. The only blood that doesn't quickly disappear is the stuff that gets on you, which fills your splatter gauge which leads to your character going on a rampage. As you get blood covered, you'll notice that your character is noticeably tired, hunched shoulders, out of breath panting, uninhibited combat abilities though.

You also gain experience, as you kill, and you collect orbs that give you more XP at the end of the level, at the end you'll get XP for highest Kill Combo and Orbs collected, and some for Life and Items. I was level 5 at the end of the first level. You get points to put into different Stats, Skill Vitality Power Reach. You can level mid-mission too.

There is also a currently untested Split-Screen (I think) 2 player mode for Free Play and Survival Mode.

Oh, and it has a story...something about baneful blood, a city full of the dead. Why is she killing zombies? Revenge? For her sister? Idk I wasn't too concerned.

The main important thing about this game though is it's plain and simple pure freaking fun. Nothing beats seeing a pair of legs walking towards you after you've dismembered and killed the top-half.

I played the second character in Free Play....Wow is she over powered. Her attacks are slower and more reserved it seems, but she punches a zombie and it dies. As opposed to Aya who cuts of arms head and possibly torso and they'll still be alive. Yes, a pair of legs will walk over and kick you....

Fun-Fact, Zombies is the same in English as it is in French and Spanish.

If you own a Wii, you owe it to yourself to buy this.

Unfortunately Critics can't seem to pull their heads from their asses.....still.

I just checked Metacritic, both versions(Wii, 360) are getting some pretty bad reviews.... IGN complains about the presentation and lack of story....(Wii version) Gamespot thinks the only high note of the game is dismemberments.

I'm not sure they understand the general concept of the game, it almost sounds like they're expecting something like DMC or Ninja Gaiden with hardcore combat and difficulty and a story you can feign interest about. This is a PS2 game that was a part of a budget series called the Simple 2000.

Those were initial impressions though. I've now amassed 4 hours into the game, and can enlighten on a few things. As you level up and bring up your skill stat, your attacks become smoother and longer chains. Like your skill is going up D: who'dathunkit.

Controls....they aren't just mindless waggly, they can be if you want, but if you want to be good at the game and get high ranks, you have to slow down and time your remote swings, and evade at the opportune moment to chain even more together. Some enemies even require you to not just go crazy and slow down and preform a certain technique. Outside of a very few certain attacks, nothing is mapped to specific actions, and those that are work well (Horizontal Swing, Thrust, Verticle Swing up) Most special types of attack depend on what you swing and the direction of the control stick rather than the direction of the swing. Like a kick with Dual Sword out is lock on, back up(control stick down) and nunchuk.

You gain XP for every mode but practice, and each of the four characters have separate XP for killing stuff. 2 Characters are unlocked at the beginning while the other 2 need to be unlocked. Each character has a 8 chapter story mode, and 5 difficulties, 3 of which need to be unlocked by beating the previous. Each girl has 40 "quests" they can unlock, quests are like achievements...in the 360 version they are actually. These quests are pretty much unknown unless you check a walkthrough, and in order to unlock all the outfits you need to do all the quests. (some are kill "X" zombies, others are don't get hit. They're pretty varied.)

I still haven't done co-op, but I think it'll be quite fun slaying with a buddy.

It's late, my thoughts are jumbled so I'm stopping here, but I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Oh, and is anyone else here even marginally interested?

The Wii trailer released at the start of the month reminded me of SEGA's marketing for House of the Dead: OVERKILL, so it definitely has my interest. Being part of the Simple Series, though, I can see the price dropping considerably within a few months, so I'll hold out for a while before buying it.

I don't know about conversion rates, but here it lauch price it $30 instead of the usual $50.

I don't know about conversion rates, but here it lauch price it $30 instead of the usual $50.

Aye, but in the UK, Wii titles rarely go lower than £30 at launch.

Lol, I've searched for this thread a few times when wanting to post about its imminent release, but seeing as there was a typo in the title it never showed up!

I think Matt Casamassina nailed it in the IGN review when he said "But the truth is, I, like many gamers out there, was on board from the moment D3 said "Bikini Zombie Slayers." That's really all the information I need." The silliness of girls in bikini's killing zombies has been the only reason I've been moderately keeping an eye out for news and views on Onechanbara, so like Tellyn said above, when it starts showing up at bargain prices I'll probably nab it and it can be added to my list of guilty pleasure videogames. :heh:

Honestly, I hardly even pay attention to the near nakedness of the girls, it's just too much fun effortlessly slaughtering zombies. Although I do suppose I'd be slower on the purchase if it was Fat Speedo Zombie Slayers...

I'm rather interested in this game. It just seems plain old fun, just like the old 8 and 16 bits days were. It think it actually look better than Dead Rising.

It really depends on the price it's selling though. There sure are a lot of zombie games out these few months :)

Just checked Game and it seems the Wii version is available the 27th for £24.99 while the 360 version is £29.99 which respectively, according to Game, is £5 ans£10 off.

Have to say I hadn't seen anything of this until a couple of minutes ago where I checked the gameplay footage available on Youtube. Doesn't look too bad. A senseless zombie hack and slash title. And it had more zombies on screen than Dead Rising:CTYD and looks better as well which is nice. Not sure if I'd spend £30 on it but saying that if I get the reviewing job I've applied for then I may pick this up as it'll be someone else's money basically so I won't feel overly bad if the game sucks.

Can't watch on my wii.

anywho...,yea it gets bad reviews but its fun.

I've played these games on the PS2 before as that's where the series started off. They were part of the 'Simple Series' a group of fairly cheap games that were published by D3 in Japan often with limited money, time and resources attached to produce them. The PS2 games were a bit of a button bash, hack and slash but enjoyable considering they were budget games.

Since D3 have been sold to Namco Bandai, I think the company is moving in a different direction.

The price of the Xbox 360 and Wii games are full price now unlike the PS2 games before and I'm going to wait for the price to fall before getting them.

Since D3 have been sold to Namco Bandai, I think the company is moving in a different direction.

The price of the Xbox 360 and Wii games are full price now unlike the PS2 games before and I'm going to wait for the price to fall before getting them.

That just seems to be you guys as they were budget priced here.