NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Gentleben

Popcorn Arcade-Cheap & Nasty or Cheap & Fun?

There is a range of around 22 games set to get released 4 per month over the next couple of months under the name "Popcorn Arcade" in the UK for the Nintendo Wii.

http://217.199.176.105/popcorn/

Games will retail for around £20 each which at first seems like good value for money until you delve a little deeper into the games.

The games are split into different genes:

Racing/Sports/Platform/

But what's really horrible is that all the games are the same. For example. Take a look at two of the Platform games on the site.

In this example we shall use:

Anubis 2

anubisiifaceyu2.jpg

and

Ninjabread Man

ninjascreen3nf7.jpg

You will notice both games support the same life/Heart Symbol and werid circle design in the top right corner. This is the same with all the games. The racing games are all the same but with a different lick of colour and design.

While I'm all for Cheap games, and I'm sure a lot of work has gone into creating the games then to rehash the same style of game and make it plainly obvious just screams cheap. I've watched a couple of the videos as well-and while one or two mildy caught my instrest then the graphics don't look mindblowing, and I suspect it's all very easy simple. I'd expect games like this to be sold for around £10-15. Wonder how long before the collection ends up in the SALE bin?

So thoughts?

More games is never a really bad thing. Its a nice idea, but most probally will be executed very badly.

Sure there was a thread on this yonks ago.

Anyway the PS2 was full of shit like this and GTA and it didn't do its sales any harm.

I choose "cheap and nasty". If its your cup of tea fair enough, but buy these sort of games in droves expect more of them.

Will these be released in shops? Will places like GAME and HMV and Woolworths stock them? If so they'll sell well with the fun looking designs and nice price tags.

Lets face it though, they won't redefine gaming or possibly even supply enjoyment for anyone other than kids spending their pocket money on affordable games.

But all in all, more software is a good thing, and affordable software that kids can snap up is a great idea - and it does no harm because no serious gamer will be expecting to pay for it and get a AAA title.

I doubt I'd ever buy one, except maybe Ninjabread Man, as that is possibly the coolest to emerge this generation!

Billy the Wizard made me laugh, even the font reeks of Harry Potter!

Will these be released in shops? Will places like GAME and HMV and Woolworths stock them? If so they'll sell well with the fun looking designs and nice price tags.

Yeah they are in the shops. I was in Gamestation and they are £19.99 each or 2 for £30. Me and my mate nearly went splits on Ninjabread Man :)

Cheap and Nasty on a console is to be expected. But when the majority of released games are cheap and nasty then it's a worry, and especially when big developers decide to follow suit.

Hopefully it won't go too far, this shit will probaby be lapped up by under 10s and idiots who don't know better.

Yeah they are in the shops. I was in Gamestation and they are £19.99 each or 2 for £30. Me and my mate nearly went splits on Ninjabread Man :)

oooh I tempted to get Ninjabread Man...

As for games like this being released I think it can't be a bad thing...the PS1 and PS2 were awash with shite and in an odd way it helps keep consoles ticking over, as younger kids and naive parents buy them buy them by the truck load..

Hey they look better than some of the things that came out of Midas. But then again they were asking for less money.

Cheap and Nasty on a console is to be expected. But when the majority of released games are cheap and nasty then it's a worry, and especially when big developers decide to follow suit.

Hopefully it won't go too far, this shit will probaby be lapped up by under 10s and idiots who don't know better.

Have you not seen the PS2 and DS libraries?

Cheap and Nasty is the huge majority, but it still doesn't stop the fact there is are tons of quality games released very often.

bad bad games noooooooooooooo................huh nijabread man intresting hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mabey i might buy it

I don;t think you can knock these, at least they're original games and the company doesn't have the front to charge full price for them, they're marketed as cheap and cheerful blasts of fun, at the end of the day they're probably going to better than half the crap Ubisoft have heaped on us.

I don;t think you can knock these, at least they're original games and the company doesn't have the front to charge full price for them, they're marketed as cheap and cheerful blasts of fun, at the end of the day they're probably going to better than half the crap Ubisoft have heaped on us.

he is right

I don;t think you can knock these, at least they're original games and the company doesn't have the front to charge full price for them,

Some of those games are exactly the same, just with a different skin.

Have you not seen the PS2 and DS libraries?

Cheap and Nasty is the huge majority, but it still doesn't stop the fact there is are tons of quality games released very often.

And thats exactly what we don't have right now. We'll be getting some soon but as of now going into a shop all you see is cheap and nasty and pathetic wii games.

Sign in to follow this