NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ZeldaFreak

Is a ps2 just worth it?

I know that Ps2 has a lot of good rpgs on it, but is it really worth it? I thought of getting one ages ago but I heard that PS2 or slimline version only lasts about 1-2 years max. Is it true? :hmm:

Also i fancy an xbox 360 but with their only going to be about 800,000 for UK on launch day with a rumoured back up stock of around 2 million to force excess demandin the market.

So should i wait get a 360or go get a ps2

P.S. Slighltly pissed off that Microsoft haven't anounced the full launch lineup

If PS2 games are interesting you, I wouldn't pick one up this late on in its life, but instead wait for the PS3 to take advantage of its backwards compatibility (I assume? haven't checked). Alternatively if the Xbox 360 is also peaking your interest and you don't want to shell out for both, you might want to wait until Christmas and pick up a PS2 cheap, or maybe second hand. Some people might be selling their PS2 to put cash towards an Xbox 360.

PS2 is a awesome console, basically this generation all the consoles have been worthwhile to own.

It's up to you what you want, if you can't get a next gen because they are sold out or what not, then you could get the PS2, since they are only £100 now as well.

There is a nice exclusive list of games for the system. Every gamer should have a go on things like Katamari Damacy, Ico, Shadow Of The Colossus, Gitaroo Man, God of War, Okami and others.

It's easily worth the money.

No point in waiting months for a ps3, £100 isnt gonna break the bank.

£100 is still a lot to some people and then if you want to play PS3 games you end up buying both, just doesn't seem the best option to me.

£100 is still a lot to some people and then if you want to play PS3 games you end up buying both, just doesn't seem the best option to me.

At the moment is it unknown how well the backwards compatibilty will work foor ps3, sony have already said there could a few games not working.

If you like RPG's; YES! If you don't like RPG's; YES! God of War, Devil May Cry 3 and Shadow of the Collosus for example - plus the console doesn't cost much nowadays - I'm buying a PS2 myself at Christmas.

well you see I know my dads buying me an lcd tv with resolution of 1024*768p with is pretty darn good considering my crappy old tv. Yay me :D, but i could ask for a ps2 but I really would like to get an x360, just to play some next gen stuff. Until the REVOLUTION COMES OUT yah :D:D:D:D

If you like RPG's; YES! If you don't like RPG's; YES! God of War, Devil May Cry 3 and Shadow of the Collosus for example - plus the console doesn't cost much nowadays - I'm buying a PS2 myself at Christmas.

you say youre getting a ps2 at christmas, yet your currently playin Final Fantasy X ;)

I dont have a PS2 but i think it would be worth it for Dragon Warrior 8 and the Colossus game alone. Hopefully theyll cut the price in half around the 360 launch

im geting a 360, but im still going to get a PS2 , mine broke about 6 months ago, and iv been xbox only, but now seems the time to get a nice cheap silver slimline PS2 , add to my collection, and play some classic games, like MGS, devil may cry

At the moment is it unknown how well the backwards compatibilty will work foor ps3, sony have already said there could a few games not working.

source please :)

What is it about PS2's? Why do they seem to break down more than other consoles?

As for myself I missed the PS2 this gen, however my PSP I am hoping is gonna give me some PS2 style loving. Port Away people port away :wink:

Burnout and Wipeout have already been cool games that I couldn't have played on my Gamecube, well Burnout 2 I could have but not the new tracks etc.

you say youre getting a ps2 at christmas, yet your currently playin Final Fantasy X ;)

Yeah I borrowed my mates' PS2.

Yeah I borrowed my mates' PS2.

Ok just wondering, actually could any die hard RPG fans give me the definitive list for every decent RPG out there, and anyone who knows of any definitive classics could you please do me a list?

P.S. I'm talking to you Android18a

Actually Android 18a I thought you like just RPG games therefore won't the XBOX 360 not suit your refined tastes seen as its going to be nearly 40% FPS, 40% Racers & 20% others :confused:

Yea im planning on getting PS2 this comin summer, by then it should be quite low in price due to the PS3 being out.

i got a PS2 recently (silver slimline) just so i can play the star wars games i missed on the gamecube like starfighter, ep III, lego star wars and of course the great battlegrounds!!

the only other games i have is the getaway & pro evo 5 which came with it!

yes i like star wars.

Ok just wondering, actually could any die hard RPG fans give me the definitive list for every decent RPG out there, and anyone who knows of any definitive classics could you please do me a list?

P.S. I'm talking to you Android18a

Actually Android 18a I thought you like just RPG games therefore won't the XBOX 360 not suit your refined tastes seen as its going to be nearly 40% FPS, 40% Racers & 20% others :confused:

Dom is a RPG humper and he suggested the following list in this thread:http://www.revo-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820

Nippon Ichi Software collection of Disgaea, La Pucelle Tactics and Phantom Brave.

Gitaroo Man

Suikoden Series (Get the PSX ones as well, II is the greatest!)

Front Mission Series

Shadow Hearts Covenant

Ico

Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari

God of War

Devil May Cry Series

Metal Gear Solid 3

Silent Hill Series

Xenosaga and Xenogears (PSX)

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution

Taiko Drum Master (It's the original Donkey Konga)

Jak and Daxter series

Onimusha series

Anyway im also in the "might get a PS2" bandwaggon. Some pre-owned at work for £75 including GTA:SA so might get that for xmas.

I could give you a massive list of good (Range from good to awesome) RPGs IMO for the PS2, don't forget you can play PSX games as well, so that opens yet another massive field of RPG games to play.

PS2

Final Fantasy X

Final Fantasy X-2

Suikoden III

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

Shadow Hearts: Covenant

Dark Cloud 2

Kingdom Hearts

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

La Pucelle: Tactics

Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht

Growlanser Generations

Phantom Brave

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits

Atelier Iris ~Eternal Mana~

Radiata Stories

Suikoden IV

Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

Makai Kingdom

Front Mission 4

RPGs coming in the future for PS2 that have a chance to be good:

Suikoden Tactics

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Wild ARMs -- Alter Code: F

Shadow Hearts: From the New World

Wild ARMs 4

Final Fantasy XII

Disgaea 2

Dark Cloud 3

Kingdom Hearts II

Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou

Front Mission 5

Grandia III

Rogue Galaxy

Seiken Densetsu 4

Suikoden V

Tales of Legendia

Tales of the Abyss

Xenosaga: Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra

And there you have it *goes back to food*

I thought that both Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga & Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 weren't PAL games though :(

They aren't......yet.

I have a modded white PS2 so I can play RPGs from all over the world. I kinda forgot about the PAL only thing, heh.

source please :)

get it yourself, its on gamespot somewhere, a sony spokeswoman if i remeber called rita or something, said that there could be a few games that dont work as it is completely different hardware.

PS2 is worth the asking price for Disgaea or Makai Kingdom alone! Not to mention the fabulous FFX, Star Ocean 3, Phantom Brave, La Pucelle Tactics, Gitaroo Man...

Sign in to follow this