NEurope

We're all gonna die...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7001897.stm

Scores ill in Peru 'meteor crash'

The crater has been spewing fetid gases, reports say

Crater site

Hundreds of people in Peru have needed treatment after an object from space - said to be a meteorite - plummeted to Earth in a remote area, officials say.

They say the object left a deep crater after crashing down over the weekend near the town of Carancas in the Andes.

People who visited the scene have been complaining of headaches, vomiting and nausea after inhaling gases.

But some experts have questioned whether it was a meteorite or some other object that landed in Carancas.

"Increasingly we think that people witnessed a fireball, which are not uncommon, went off to investigate and found a lake of sedimentary deposit, which may be full of smelly, methane rich organic matter," said Dr Caroline Smith, a meteorite expert at the London-based Natural History Museum.

"This has been mistaken for a crater."

A team of scientists is on its way to the site to collect samples and verify whether it was indeed a meteorite.

I think there's also a certain psychological fear in the community

Local mayor Nestor Quispe

Can meteorites make you ill?

Geologists have called on the authorities to stop people going near the crash site.

A local journalist, Martine Hanlon, told the BBC experts did not believe the meteor would make anybody sick, but they did think a chemical reaction caused by its contact with the ground could release toxins such as sulphur and arsenic.

An engineer from the Peruvian Nuclear Energy Institute told AFP news agency that no radiation had been detected from the crater. He ruled out any possibility that the fallen object might be a satellite.

Afraid

Nestor Quispe, the mayor of the municipality to which Carancas belongs, told the BBC that many residents had been affected.

"Lots of people from the town of Carancas have fallen ill. They have headaches, eye problems, irritated skin, nausea and vomiting," he said.

"I think there's also a certain psychological fear in the community."

Local resident Heber Mamani said a bull and some other animals had become ill.

"That is why we are asking for an analysis, because we are worried for our people. They are afraid," he said.

Another local villager, Romulo Quispe, said people were worried that the water was no longer safe to drink.

"This is the water we use for the animals, and for us, for everyone, and it looks like it is contaminated," he said.

"We don't know what is going on at the moment, that is what we are worried about."

The incident took place on Saturday night, when people near Carancas in the remote Puno region, some 1,300km (800 miles) south of the Peruvian capital, Lima, reported seeing a fireball in the sky coming towards them.

The object then hit the ground, leaving a 30m (98ft) wide and 6m (20ft) deep crater.

The crater spewed what officials described as fetid, noxious gases.

Jorge Lopez, a health director in Puno, told Reuters news agency he had an irritated throat and itchy nose after visiting the site.

Hurrah!

The crater spewed what officials described as fetid, noxious gases.

That's how I would describe my mothers cooking.

It doesn't, I was simply taking something out of context and trying to generate humour from a film called Armageddon..Which starts off with many little Asteriods hitting Earth, and then a massive one following..

See Item A...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armageddon_%281998_film%29

It was simply a little light humour born from the Notion of this film and general perception (However wrong this maybe) that once a small asteriod hits Earth, Other much bigger objects do as well

Hope this clears this Up :smile:

haribo.jpg

and

shadow.jpg

*yawn*

Besides, should there be any sort of mother asteroid someday, they're a piece of piss to deal with!!

You've all seen that documentary by NASA, where they send a team of oil drillers (they don't even need astronauts!) into space and they just blow that thing apart!

KA-BOOM!! Easy!

You could cause loads of people to panic with a title like that.

Yeah "Btw" strikes fear into the heart of men.

Hmmm, this is how Night of the Living Dead got started.

Meh, small meteorites hit Earth everyday. It's not unusual, as Tom Jones might say.

well, when i read the news my first thought was of a possible alien virus/bactiria, then realised radiation was more likely, then realised that the dust in the air and natural chemicals in the earth disrupted by the impct were even more likely.

it could even be spreading like a common cold. let me first explain that being in the cold dosent make you catch a cold, it is infact being inside in a well heated room, in close proximity to outhers, which is most common in the winter. hence the virus finds it easy to spread. people in the area could have been congrigating around the crater, or staying indoors in fear, either way the virus could be a normal virus spread by proximity.

Phazon..... has come to infect this world too.

Where's Samus when we need her?

Actually I heard on TV that it is more likely that we are hit by a meteor than winning in the lottery.

Yeah "Btw" strikes fear into the heart of men.

Well depending on who saying it... if your girlfriend says it (well it would be more like By The Way, obviously rather than 3 letters), more often than not bad news is to follow :heh:

Hmmm, this is how Night of the Living Dead got started.

Yes, this is the moment i've been preparing for by playing Resident Evil constantly... i've got two nicely long swords that should keep me going until i can find a gun of some sort... i've also been growing different color "herbs" in the garden if needed

well, most of you have seen my new sword in the post your purchase section, i might buy a crossbow from the same seller, should hold off any zombie related misshaps for a while.

Besides, should there be any sort of mother asteroid someday, they're a piece of piss to deal with!!

You've all seen that documentary by NASA, where they send a team of oil drillers (they don't even need astronauts!) into space and they just blow that thing apart!

KA-BOOM!! Easy!

It's the UK that is taking control of monitoring the next asteroid that could hit Earth. They are building a special satellite for the job - if it's going to hit Earth the satellite's last mission will be crashing into the asretoid, changing it's trajectory so it misses Earth.

It's the UK that is taking control of monitoring the next asteroid that could hit Earth. They are building a special satellite for the job - if it's going to hit Earth the satellite's last mission will be crashing into the asretoid, changing it's trajectory so it misses Earth.
Yeah I was refering to the plot of Armagedon! :blank:

But yeah if that is what they're gonna do, they'd better hit it PRECISELY at the right angle or it'll do nothing! as those plans always seem to see the meteor missing the earth by only a couple of miles anyway!