NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Anyone ever play the Atelier games? Still looking for a jrpg to buy and it seems like Atelier Ryza could be a good jumping on point but I basically know nothing about that series.

I've not but I've heard good things about the recent entries in the series. 

What about the Ys games? Have you played any of those?

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've not but I've heard good things about the recent entries in the series. 

What about the Ys games? Have you played any of those?

Yeah that's an idea. I've owned the early ones and they never clicked with me but maybe the later ones will.

It's the same thing I had with the Legend of Heroes games. I started with the first one but being in the mood for a more modern RPG I never really latched on but also didn't know if I could just skip to a later one.

Decided to go with Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. Read up a bit more about it and it looks like while playing the earlier arc will help with the story, it's not a necessity so if I like this then it'll give me a 4 game jrpg series to look forward to.

Edited by Happenstance

20 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah that's an idea. I've owned the early ones and they never clicked with me but maybe the later ones will.

It's the same thing I had with the Legend of Heroes games. I started with the first one but being in the mood for a more modern RPG I never really latched on but also didn't know if I could just skip to a later one.

Ys IX has a demo so you could try that to see if you like it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1351630/Ys_IX_Monstrum_Nox/

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Decided to go with Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. Read up a bit more about it and it looks like while playing the earlier arc will help with the story, it's not a necessity so if I like this then it'll give me a 4 game jrpg series to look forward to.

I'm about 3 hours into Trails of Cold Steel and I'm enjoying it. It doesn't feel like the most unique jrpg out there but it's solid enough and I'm sure it'll pick up. I can see where some of the Persona 4 comparisons come from with spending time with classmates. Only real complaint would be the music. I don't think I ever realised how important music is to me in games like this but this is some of the most generic ass jrpg panpipe music I've ever heard and it's starting to drive me a bit nuts 😆