NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Wow.

That is pretty bad :p

I remember getting completely surrounded by them in one particular house shooting the roof off, jumped through it and went behind them in stealth and punched them all to death! :)

All rendered in glorious 25fps-o-vision.

Lol, sorry, I'm not slagging the game off for the sake of it, I just didn't enjoy it enough to warrant a purchase. Besides, it comes out too close to UT3 for me to think about it anyway.

It ran fairly well for me.

45fps on high.

We both have overclocked 8800gts's, mine has a core bus of 576mhz and memory bus at 1.7ghz, your's is... I'm not sure, I remember it being not too different, but your card is 640mb and mine is 320mb, I was told that this would only make a difference at high resolutions or AA settings. I play at 1280 x 720 (I think, will need to check) with no AA, and I can barely play it happily on Medium.

On my 640:

Core Frequency 570MHz

Memory Frequency 1800MHz

RAMDAC 400MHZ

I run 1440X900. I do have 3 gigs of ram and occasionally i see it tick over to 2.2GB of ram use, but i don't turn AA on.

That extra RAM seems to make the difference, I think I'm going to have to get something a bit meatier soon (for UT3, you understand ;)).

All rendered in glorious 25fps-o-vision.

Lol, sorry, I'm not slagging the game off for the sake of it, I just didn't enjoy it enough to warrant a purchase. Besides, it comes out too close to UT3 for me to think about it anyway.

What rig have you got? Sounds like it runs better on my Athlon BE-2300, 2GB RAM and x1950XTX! I can run High at playable frame rates, will check numbers in a bit

If you're running an 8800GTS you should be getting better performance than me, especially given my CPU is a pile of shit (1.9GHz 45nm Athlon clocked to 2.5GHz). You got a crappy HDD or crappy RAM?

512MB

Im guessing you have the 320MB 8800GTS then? Still seems a bit strange, wouldn't have thought an extra 190MB RAM would make such a difference in frames per second...

Yeah but, the way that the 320mb and 512mb on your ATi are used totally different.

Not to mention the DX10 effects and such have a huge effect on the amount of ram used.

Oh two things regarding Crysis:

1, this isn't the Unreal 3 engine, CryENGINE2 cannot use system ram for graphical functions.

2, It upscales. Yup. You run the game at a lower resolution than your LCD monitors native, and it will upscale (check your monitor settings). It lowers the resolution of textures, but upscales the resolution of the display. Extremely smart.

Yeah but, the way that the 320mb and 512mb on your ATi are used totally different.

Not to mention the DX10 effects and such have a huge effect on the amount of ram used.

Oh two things regarding Crysis:

1, this isn't the Unreal 3 engine, CryENGINE2 cannot use system ram for graphical functions.

2, It upscales. Yup. You run the game at a lower resolution than your LCD monitors native, and it will upscale (check your monitor settings). It lowers the resolution of textures, but upscales the resolution of the display. Extremely smart.

So does that mean something's not right with my performance or am I getting what you'd expect my rig to?

Is there some kind of impartial benchmarking tool within the demo that means we can compare performance and see where it seems to be going wrong for me?

Well...

There might be a benchmarking tool, try the Crytek/EA forums for that one.

And what i'm saying is, its possible that your 320mb less ram could be the main issue if Crysis uses extremely high resolution textures... and with a 12GB install it wouldn't suprise me.

There are already UK stores with the card, so I'm not worried about that now. I just don't know if with my PC it's worth it. I have an AMD 64 3.7+ with a X800 GT, I don't know if, with my CPU, my PC can handle it.

That and the lack of money.

Well...

There might be a benchmarking tool, try the Crytek/EA forums for that one.

And what i'm saying is, its possible that your 320mb less ram could be the main issue if Crysis uses extremely high resolution textures... and with a 12GB install it wouldn't suprise me.

I've just found one, it's in program files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Bin32. I'm just about to give it a go.

Real men have 640mb version!

Ah, so are you getting similar framerate issues?

Edit: Just ran the fly-over benchmark tool, after 3 loops my average FPS was 28.36 with all settings on High at 1280 x 720 with no anti-aliasing.

As PC gaming hardware keeps getting discussed in here i figured i may aswell add it to this thread, it's less confusing. Popped a redirect up in the tech forum so it's simple enough to find.

If people don't like it like this then i'll put it back to separate threads, was just an idea

Well, i took the plunge and ordered a 8800GT, superclocked for £167.

Comes on Weds (saved alot on delivery).

Will be selling my 8800GTS fairly soon, around £90-110. So if anyone wants it from here, PM me and i'll get back to you.

How old is your PC?

If its over 3 years, its not going to work.

You need a PCI Express port on your motherboard, not to mention if your CPU and RAM aren't equally as good, its going to run like a complete dog.

How old is your PC?

If its over 3 years, its not going to work.

You need a PCI Express port on your motherboard, not to mention if your CPU and RAM aren't equally as good, its going to run like a complete dog.

I bought my comp afew months back, specs at the moment are:

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Processor: Intel® Core2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Hard Drive: 489 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

Well, i took the plunge and ordered a 8800GT, superclocked for £167.

Comes on Weds (saved alot on delivery).

Will be selling my 8800GTS fairly soon, around £90-110. So if anyone wants it from here, PM me and i'll get back to you.

Where did you order it from?

I bought my comp afew months back, specs at the moment are:

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Processor: Intel® Core2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Hard Drive: 489 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

It'll work fine, if you're mobo can take a GTS it can take a GT

Where did you order it from?

Ebuyer! :)

I had to be quick, there was 1 left at like 1am in the morning.

Ebuyer! :)

I had to be quick, there was 1 left at like 1am in the morning.

Bugger.

I'm looking at a site called Advance Tec, they don't say whether or not they've got them in stock, so for all I know I could order it and not get it for 3 weeks.

And apparently there's a new 8800GTS coming out that out-performs the GTX, GAH!!!