NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

This might be a stupid question but how do tell how many fps it's playing at?

I had everything on high and it seemed to play fine, but would like to know what speed it is running at!

Ok Half Life 2. Downloaded today through Steam. Graphics card is out of date and I can't download drivers because Windows Installer fails at life every time. I try and launch HL2 anyway, the game seems to open (screen goes black, I see a little window with the HL2 icon semi-open) then it just seems to stop and act like nothing's happened. So Half Life 2 won't work. :blank:

Crysis, brings my machine to its fucking KNEES.

Everything on high (water, sound and particles on very high), no FFAA, 1440X900. When alot is going on it barely gets over 20fps.

... Either i settle for high, or i buy another 8800gts :p

Shit me! If thats what it does to you're rig i dread to think what mine'll be like.

Out-dated after 2 months? :(

Everyone whos played the demo!

Download the new beta graphics card drivers! They make a huge difference!

EDIT: Jordan btw...

Link please.

EDIT: Jordan btw...

I did install the new drivers before playing, and it runs quite shit. Crysis = demanding much? :heh:

I'm probably going to play the game on high and get another 8800gts sometime around christmas (as you know... i can't afford it right now)

Methinks I'll overclock my pc...

...and get 2gb more ram

...and possibly another 8800gts.

Well, when I can afford it anyway. :heh:

Although my psu is only 520w (but a very good quality one), I already have 2gb ram, which means 500mhz will get wasted and I need a SATA II hard drive anyway (my current one is only an IDE, and i've only got about 10gb left.)

Aw crap. ¬¬

Tbh, all this constant, rapid releasing of new technologies is really beginning to piss me off. I only upgraded my system in May, with my birthday money, and now I find that it's already out of date in just 4/5 MONTHS!!

EDIT: And I just found out that my motherboard doesn't support sli, so no point in another GTS anyway. ¬¬

Do not buy another 8800gts.

The 8800GT just came out in the US. It kicks the living shit out of the GTS.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=1

holy. shit.

$200? Seriously? Thats crazy!

I wonder how cheap the 8800GTS is away to get? Could be a nice xmas present to myself :)

Could this really be released at £150 with the GTS dropping to £100?

Its out.

£179 at Dabs.

What a fucking steal.

I get paied tomorrow, totally buying one.

Just noticed this myself, was configuring a PC on 3XS (Scan's system builder) and the 8800GT came up as an option. I though "nah, that can't be right" but:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.ASP?CatID=15&FilterCategories=512&Thumbnails=yes

Oddly enough the GTS is still more expensive...

Interestingly these are the 512MB models, the 256MB ones will be even less!

P.S. Just been playing the Crysis demo, my machine can handle it on high! Only just though, there is the occasional stutter. It looks bloody gorgeous! Can't go any higher without DX10 sadly :(

Well, I've canceled my pre-order of Crysis.

The reason being, that I want to enjoy it in all it's glory, and I'm not going to be upgrading my ram and my hard drive until after Christmas, so there's no point. I'm thinking of getting Vista as well now tbh. Also, being as I only upgraded 5 months ago, is it really worth me replacing my 8800GTS with an 8800GT as well?

8800 GT seems awesome, if it wasn't for the damn customs I would have imported already. Not to mention they'll be fucking expensive in EU

8800 GT seems awesome, if it wasn't for the damn customs I would have imported already. Not to mention they'll be fucking expensive in EU

Hmm, I never thought about that. How much is usually the difference in price of a card like that between here and the USA?

All the hype surrounding Crysis comes down to it's graphics, which it lives and dies on, and for Crytek to release the game at a time when only the £2000+ rigs can run it on Very High at playable framerates is completely irresponsible. To say that the game will still be making the most of machines coming out in a year's time is all very well, but in all honesty the game plays too similarly to Far Cry to warrant going back to it then just to admire the shiny graphics.

Since I downloaded the 169 beta drivers I've been getting 3DMark scores in the high 9700s, yet the game still defaults my graphics settings to Medium, where the game can't touch the graphics of Bioshock or Episode 2 on their respective highest settings. If I dial up the Shaders and Post-Processing to High it starts to look like something special, but my framerates dip below 25 if anything more strenuous than a flapping palm leaf comes into view.

Bollocks to Crysis.

If Crysis turns out as good as Far Cry i'll be happy.

Far Cry had amazing level design, AI and over all fun. And the fact that you can jump onto a roof and smash it to bits then killing the people inside makes it a day one purchase here :p

I'll end up with a 8800GT, once i get my new bank account anyway.

Gonna need to play the demo properly, didn´t really like it the first time.

Thought it was kinda awesome when that boat on the river starts shooting at you and it hit a tree besides me and it fell on me..... resulted in my death.

Not sure if the machine gun or the tree falling on me killed me

If Crysis turns out as good as Far Cry i'll be happy.

Far Cry had amazing level design, AI and over all fun. And the fact that you can jump onto a roof and smash it to bits then killing the people inside makes it a day one purchase here :p

I'll end up with a 8800GT, once i get my new bank account anyway.

If the demo is anything to go by the AI bit has gone out the window.

What difficulty were you playing on?

I played it through on Normal and Hard, on both difficulties the enemies had a habit of not moving if I shot them from behind.

Wow.

That is pretty bad :p

I remember getting completely surrounded by them in one particular house shooting the roof off, jumped through it and went behind them in stealth and punched them all to death! :)