NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Sorry to do this to you McPhee (if you haven't sorted it out yet)...

This Demo hints at UT3 being the game that can put the demons of UT2k3 to rest. The GUI is Smooth with a remixed version of the theme from the original, I would've preferred the Windows-esque interface of UT and 2k4, but it does the job. The game runs smoother than any other game I've put in this computer so far, providing I leave V-sync off, and looks impressive, though I'm sure we haven't seen the best yet. Where this game really nails it is in it's feel; UT players will know what I mean - it's closer to the original, brutally quick, and the characters can't jump around like blue-arse flies anymore. I can't seem to get online with it atm, but the Botmatch is, like it always is with UT, pretty damn good anyway.

Very happy.

Not happy with it myself.

Theres no "fun factor" that even the UT2004 demo had. I'm still buying it, but i'm yet to be impressed.

Also, the graphics on the demo are capped at medium to help reduce the download size.

I completed HL2: Episode 2 last night, and Portal earlier. Here's my thoughts...

Episode 2

I thought that Episode 2 was bloody brilliant all the way through! I really liked the end battle with all the Striders too, very tense. I thought the ending was sad though. :( Although it was a tad frustrating. It looked like Eli knew a lot about the G-Man (which was a shocking twist), but now we'll never know (or will we?) I still think it was pretty amazing from start to finish.

Portal

What can I say? Meeting GLaDOS at the end was pretty interesting, and funny. Although, after the scene in Episode 2 with the characters discussing Aperture Science, I thought that the actual "testing facility" was going to be aboard the Borealis. Guess I was wrong. :heh: And, omg, the end credits were hilarious! A nice contrast to Episode 2's gloomy finale

<UT3 stuff>

Very happy.

I couldn't agree more! It has the atmosphere of the original UT, with the fast fluid gameplay of UT2003/4. Bloody fantastic! Imo, UT03 & 04 were a lot of fun, but they lacked the feel of the original UT. Imo, Epic have it spot on in UT3. I really can't wait for it's release. However, I do think the menu is a bit confusing at first, and the lack of options is annoying. It looks good though, but I do hope that it goes through a lot of tweaking before release (which I'm sure it will.)

Also, the graphics on the demo are capped at medium to help reduce the download size.

Only medium? That sucks. Mind you, it looks pretty spectacular on medium detail then, imo. I thought there was something slightly wrong with the graphics, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Cheers for clearing that up! I hope that the full retail version runs ok on highest detail on my PC...

Portal/Ep 2 discussion:

I think it's very clever how they tied the two together via Aperture Science Labs. Do you think we'll get to use the portal gun against enemies in Ep 3? Next stop: Borealis!

Bah. We'll have to wait ages to find out though.

Interesting thing in the commentary:

They called Portal "The first Portal game" - suggesting a sequel is in the works.

this is a fairly n00bish question but i have just taken an in-game screen-shot and i don't know where the hell the thing has stored the picture. Any ideas on where its went?

Usually you have to dig into the game files on your hard drive and there'll be a "screenshots" folder floating around there.

Did somebody played Spiderman: Friend or Foe?

I Played, and it was much lower than my expectatives :'(

I went Oldschool today.

Got the original PC Sim City after a quick google.

(there's also a free online version - didn't work for me)

Here are some epic screenshots from TF2 that I've collected over the past week.

tokislookinggood.gif

How stupid do you have to be? HE'S RIGHT THERE! :P

yourbody.gif

Your pancreas!

bspwn.gif

I got this about an hour ago. 10 backstabs in a round :D

And my two favourites:

oshi.gif

A strangely satisfying death actually.

oshi2.gif

OH SHI-

Sorry to do this to you McPhee (if you haven't sorted it out yet)...

This Demo hints at UT3 being the game that can put the demons of UT2k3 to rest. The GUI is Smooth with a remixed version of the theme from the original, I would've preferred the Windows-esque interface of UT and 2k4, but it does the job. The game runs smoother than any other game I've put in this computer so far, providing I leave V-sync off, and looks impressive, though I'm sure we haven't seen the best yet. Where this game really nails it is in it's feel; UT players will know what I mean - it's closer to the original, brutally quick, and the characters can't jump around like blue-arse flies anymore. I can't seem to get online with it atm, but the Botmatch is, like it always is with UT, pretty damn good anyway.

Very happy.

If i hadn't played it Friday night when i should have been asleep i'd have been rather upset :yay:

It's the same old amazing UT :D Only thing im not too keen on is the graphics, they're so grainy it actually hurts to pay attention to the screen!

Not so sure i like that walker vehicle thats on the deathmatch level. It's too powerful, took me ages to get a couple of bots out of there! Got to try it online next, will be tuesday evening before i get a proper chance though

TBH i can't wait on the full release, I WANT TO PLAY WAR!

Orange Box is the name for a compliation of games by Valve.

You can either buy it in stores (18th Oct? I think in Europe) on PC or XBOX360 or buy now on Steam.

Its essentially:

Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 Episode 1, Half-Life 2 Episode 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2.

Some of the best FPS ever made imo.

Its either £30 over Steam, £30/40 in stores for PC and £40/50 for XBOX360.

Also Dyson, what settings are you running? If thats 'low' or 'medium' it looks damn good.

I personally, run everything maxed out :D. God its a pretty game.

O...M....G!!!

That looks cheap to me ^^

I Hope i have Graphics for that, tough :\

Let us know your PC Specs. It's not incredibly demanding from what i understand.

Though i'm still waiting till i get my new pc, because this one is slow and clunky.

Yeah, the Source engine is fairly good for low spec machines.

Ok, you got my attention, little Orange Box ^^

When will come out?

You know what; I think I'm running everything on high. My graphics setup loves the source engine, thankfully. Constant 40fps too at least :D

I reckon I could get away with Very High for textures. I could for Portal, although not much is happening in Portal at any one point in time.

I'll get you my detailed graphics options in a sec. Might even beef them up a bit :P

I gave the UT3 demo a try despite not being the biggest Tournament fan, and my only really complaints are aesthetic. The demo runs perfectly at the highest allowed settings, and it's certainly an impressive engine, but I find the actual design rather horrible.

The painfully unironic machismo seems to be a staple of recent Epic games, but I think the problems run deeper than that. All of the weapons are horribly overdesigned and rather samey; contrast them to the designs in the original UT to see what I mean. The same also seems true of character designs, as the game has to paint each team with a garish red or blue shimmer just so you tell which team units belong to.

Coming off the back of Team Fortress 2, UT3's ambiguous design is inescapable. The former was designed so that you can instantly discern which class you've caught sight of and what weapon their weilding, whereas Unreal has to plaster a shiny shader over everything just so you know what to shoot.

Still, the mod scene will be amazing.

I didn't know whether to post this in here or not as this thread seems to be only about pc games you purchase from shops.

But does anyone play MMORPGs, or has played them?

I've played Ragnarok Online, Tibia, Graal, PSOBlueBurst, and I also attempted to play the fan made .Hack World mmorpg, but it wouldn't let me log in.

Personally, I found RO to be the best, both graphically and play wise. I was addicted to it for about a year or so, and managed to get the highest female assasin on there towards the end (lvl 93).

Graal I found boring. So won't bother going into.

Tibia was a bit addictive, but got boring very quickly, and wasn't the best to look at graphically wise, also the having to have torches on you all the time annoyed me.

PSOBlueBurst was and is incredibly annoying to lvl up on, especially as monsters do not re-spawn once you have killed them in that specific area. It's also has awkward controls, imo, and is not particularly aesthetically pleasing.

Overall, I don't think I play another MMORPG properly any time soon, for fear of addiction or annoyance.

Mods feel free to make this into a topic of it's own if it doesn't sit well in this one.

Alot of people play (or used to) play WoW. I used to play alot of Guild Wars back in the day.

Eye of the North came out but i had literally no encouragement to go buy it.