NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Athlon X64 Duo 2,4

nVidia 8600GTS 256

Ram 2 GB

Does this mean i lose? :heh:

Yeah probably, i try to refrain from thinking shortly after i wake up.

I tend to confuse things together

:D.

Ah well!

Well, looking ahead at PC games coming out, ie: Crysis, UT3.

I was wondering if i should upgrade? I currently have:

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4ghz

8800GTS Overclocked 640mb

3GB DDR533 (due to order mix up, never got around to following it up...)

I was thinking:

Replace current motherboard (Asus P5N-E SLi with Asus Striker Extreme)

Replace Core 2 Duo E6600 with Core 2 Quad Extreme of some sort.

Buy another 8800GTS of the same kind (probably difficult to track down...)

Replace my ram with 4GB DDR800

Cost would be around... £600. I'll go ahead with it, if i can't run games on high settings at decent frame rates. Source engine stuff is stupidly smooth though, i can run HL2 EP2, Portal, TF2 on everything maxed out including very high textures and 16X CSAA.

Core 2 Duo E6420 @ 2.13GHz, Nvidia 7900GS, 7200 RPM HDD and 2GB of ram.

I currently have:

Asus P5N-E SLi motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

3GB DDR533 Ram

8800GTS 640mb OC

Is there any point of going up to:

Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850

3 or 4GB DDR800

8800GTS 640mb x2 in an SLi. (or a single 8800 GTX)

I play games at my monitors highest resolution 1400X900. Current games (apart from World in Conflict which staggers a little bit) run maxed out flawlessly at that resolution. Would upgrading my machine with these parts increase proformance significantly, or is it totally pointless?

Yeah, you'd see a boost. Is it really worth the money though? Thats £600+ just to go from smooth frame rates at high settings to smooth frame rates at max!

Also, why an E6850? The Q6600 is about the same price and performs better

If you do upgrade though i might be interested in you're processor + mobo. My parents computer is away to die, when it does i'm upgrading my CPU and using the current one in a new PC for them. An E6600 would be a hell of an improvement over a 1.9GHz Athlon X2

Hmm.

Is there any point in a Quad Core? Nothing even uses Dual core yet.

I might wait around till the 8900 comes out before i do anything. I dunno, part of me realises my machine isn't going to run Crysis maxed out (the way i want to play games...) and i want tooo! :D We shall see, i'll upgrade if i have to.

The motherboard wouldn't be a significant upgrade at all, in most cases the p5n performs better or as well as the 680i chipset. The bottleneck here is probably your graphics card so you should just wait until the 8900, probably the 9000 series if you were being reasonable.

for an e6750, 2 gig of RAM and an 8800gts with the core bus OC'ed 20% and the memory clock speed at 1.7ghz. Or something.

Hmm.

Is there any point in a Quad Core? Nothing even uses Dual core yet.

Loads of games use Dual Core. Im not 100% sure on the science of it but you'd see more performance out of a Q6600 than an E6850, even before the apparently easy OC to 3GHz

I currently have:

Asus P5N-E SLi motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

3GB DDR533 Ram

8800GTS 640mb OC

Is there any point of going up to:

Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850

3 or 4GB DDR800

8800GTS 640mb x2 in an SLi. (or a single 8800 GTX)

I play games at my monitors highest resolution 1400X900. Current games (apart from World in Conflict which staggers a little bit) run maxed out flawlessly at that resolution. Would upgrading my machine with these parts increase proformance significantly, or is it totally pointless?

Just get another stick of ram and wait for the 9xxxx.

Bah. I'm at this section of Ep2 where

the Vortigans are healing Alyx

and the game always starts stuttering badly, almost to the point of crashing, when that blue stuff envelops them. Which is annoying as their seems to be a rather important looking cut scene playing at the same time. Does anyone have any idea what this is? I've tried playing the section on low graphics settings to no avail.

Also, the Steam forums seem to be down. :hmm:

my copy of HL2 used to stutter and crash all the time, i just updated with new graphics drivers and everything ran smoother than a laytex catsuit

Yup, every thing's up to date and in tip-top shape. It runs perfectly smoothly at all other times, that blue-light stuff around the Vorts seems to be the only thing it doesn't take kindly to.

the cut-scene you are talking about is pretty vital to the storyline, its annoying that you can't experience it in all its graphical glory

Yeah. I'll just have to jerk through it and get the skinny on youtube later. I wish the steam forums were working, there's usually someone with an answer around there. Perhaps I'll try rolling my card driver back.

EDIT: Nope, no joy. Blasted-blue mucus.