NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Is anyone else having trouble with TF2? It always crashes a few seconds after joining a game. Something about having difficulties with dual core systems apparently. At least, as far as anyone on the steam forums can guess.

Has anybody played the demo of Quake Wars? I was pretty nonplussed by it, it reminded me of a slower version of Onslaught in 2k4.

It was appalling, the levels were unrealistic and didn't run well. I was bitterly disappointed in it which was a shame after all the good I had read.

Is anyone else having trouble with TF2? It always crashes a few seconds after joining a game. Something about having difficulties with dual core systems apparently. At least, as far as anyone on the steam forums can guess.

It's crashed on me before, mainly in 2fort though. However, it's normally fine for me. If it frequent for you, and you're running it on vista, then there's a fix for it (can't remember where I saw that, sorry.) If not, then I have no idea.

And I heard that dual core support wasn't active in the TF2 beta...

Hellgate: London

The Orange Box

Thats about all Iam intrested in at the moment, Crysis can wait (Way to many games I have to purchase still)

It was appalling, the levels were unrealistic and didn't run well. I was bitterly disappointed in it which was a shame after all the good I had read.

The Demo is capped at 30fps, I was running FRAPS, and from the most basic settings to everything maxed out it never moved a dicky from 30.

Is the 8600GT an ok card? I know it's not the best, but it's the one coming with my laptop.

Good for a laptop, best you're gonna get without going for one of those really expensive desktop replacement type laptops.

Good for a laptop, best you're gonna get without going for one of those really expensive desktop replacement type laptops.

Ah right, ok. I needed a laptop I could carry around so a dektop replacement laptop would have been useless. Thanks for the reply. It should play most games around at the moment alright then?

it'll play anything around at the moment very well :)

Thats great too hear, thanks for the help Mcphee/Sanchez

Hellgate: London

The Orange Box

Thats about all Iam intrested in at the moment, Crysis can wait (Way to many games I have to purchase still)

TF2 will be purchasable separately right?

It's jsut Steam don't appear to ahve been very clear about this yet..

TF2 will be purchasable separately right?

It's jsut Steam don't appear to ahve been very clear about this yet..

Yes it will be, for $30.00. ($15.00 less then Orange Box)

Right so,

i need a few 500GB HDD's to replace my old 120's in my server.

Bare in mind, these are going in a PENTIUM 3, without SATA/SATAII. So, where can i get good prices on reliable drives? IDE drives are always more expensive than SATA and since they're just streaming whatever over my network, they don't need to be quick or whatever, so no i'm not buying a SATA card :p.

So, whats good to buy? I was thinking Barracuda's they're always good. But they're expensive, so, alternatives? </rambling>

I just bought a new hard drive, plugged it all in but Vista wont display it. It shows up in the bios and the device manager but whenever I go to My Computer it isn't there?

It's a SATA drive if that makes any difference!

Thought I'd post this here as well...

Thought I'd post this here as well...

Right click my computer> Manage> Disk Management> right click "invisible" hard drive.

I forget what the exact wording is from this point but you want to format it into NTFS, the default values are fine.

Im kind of gutted i sold most of my PC games now. Im bored, went to find something to play and i only have all the Total War games, Guild Wars + Nightfall, HL2 and UT2004 left :( Hell, even my 360 collection is down to 5 games!

Think i need to start getting my collection back, any recommendations? No MMO games, i wouldn't play them enough to warrant the subscription

Will look that one up.

Steam is unbelievably shit isn't it? It's taken almost 2 hours to install HL2 and CS:S, decrypt them and download the updates!

If i'd remembered it took this long then i'd have installed UT2004 instead :(

Anyone still play Guild Wars? I could do with some help finishing Prophecies, too difficult with henches and the missions i need to do only have the odd few people in them

Team Fortress 2 is fantastic (if you can get it to work.) That is all.

It looks lovely, too.

Quick question on Graphics cards:

Which would perform better;

1 x 320MB 8800GTS, or 2 x 512MB 8600GTS

Because one is much cheaper than the other!??

Quick question on Graphics cards:

Which would perform better;

1 x 320MB 8800GTS, or 2 x 512MB 8600GTS

Because one is much cheaper than the other!??

The single 8800, it has a hugher memory bandwidth (320MB) whilst the 8600 only has (128MB). You'd be better in the longrun with the single card.

For gaming, the 8800GTS is better (for the most) than the two 8600GTS's

The single 8800, it has a hugher memory bandwidth (320MB) whilst the 8600 only has (128MB). You'd be better in the longrun with the single card.

For gaming, the 8800GTS is better (for the most) than the two 8600GTS's

Well thank you. Even though you'll cost me more money!!! :P

New Dawn of War expansion! Praise the Emperor!

The Carnage Continues In THQ's Warhammer® 40,000TM: Dawn Of War® - SoulstormTM Standalone Expansion in Million-Unit Selling FranchiseScheduled for Spring 2008 Release

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. September 26, 2007 - THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI) today announced Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® - Soulstorm™, the next standalone chapter in internal studio Relic Entertainment's award-winning Real-Time Strategy (RTS) franchise, is scheduled for release on Windows PC in spring 2008. Featuring an extensive interplanetary campaign spanning an entire star system in the Warhammer® 40,000™ universe, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm introduces two all-new factions for an unprecedented total of nine playable races.

"Relic Entertainment has set the standard for technical excellence and innovation in the RTS genre," said Bob Aniello, senior vice president of worldwide marketing, THQ. "Dawn of War - Soulstorm continues that tradition as a standalone title featuring all-new, brutally addictive single and multiplayer game-play that will hook newcomers and skilled Dawn of War veterans alike."

"In Dawn of War - Soulstorm, we've taken Games Workshop's epic war from one planet to an entire star system," said Tarrnie Williams, general manager, Relic Entertainment. "Allowing gamers to play nine unique races, introducing air units and providing multiplayer achievements for the first time creates a tremendous amount of new and challenging strategic gameplay for all players."

A third? Oh hell...

Dark Crusade was fantastic, but it didn't add that much in terms of story.

I don't know why i'm moaning through. Dawn of War, Winter Assualt and Dark Crusade are basically my favourite classic RTS since AoE2.