NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Eagerly awaiting impressions from the guinee pigs who are getting their Steam Deck before me... No I'm not jealous, shut up!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dcubed said:

And there it is.  Not long to go now!

george-mc-farland-waiting.gif

Waiting until "after Q2 2022" for mine. Hoo boy, that's not going to be a fun wait...

Also, no deck pun, really? "All hands on Deck for launch" or something like that? No?! :p

Edited by Julius

I think most of us here are Q2/“after Q2” 2022 (myself included).  Hopefully all the inevitable Steam OS kinks will be worked out by then.

Edited by Dcubed

Oh my word! That is insane. :laughing:
Should have used a GB Micro for the comparison. :heh:

Anyway, now that I'm here, a quick heads up for anyone who has Resident Evil 4 on PC...

The fan-made HD Project (that has been in the works for 7 years :eek:) is finally 100% complete and available to download!:

https://www.re4hd.com/?page_id=9303

Just played the opening couple of chapters and it is absolutely incredible! :cool: I highly recommend checking it out.

:peace:

Edited by RedShell
  • Thanks 2

Need a new GPU. Still using an old GTX Titan Black I got in a pre-build a decade ago but GPUs are expensive >_> might stick a Ryzen 9 in there while i'm at it.

IMG_0591.JPG

On 4/2/2022 at 5:31 PM, Dcubed said:

FKt3uLzXMAETORx?format=jpg&name=large

One for you @RedShell

Today's "portables" are not very portable really :laughing:

@Dcubed thing with gamrboy advance is the price of the games. Ninja cop Europe edition cost £400 and £700 for the American one. That's a lot to pay for a small cartridge.⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

2 hours ago, euroninfan said:

@Dcubed thing with gamrboy advance is the price of the games. Ninja cop Europe edition cost £400 and £700 for the American one. That's a lot to pay for a small cartridge.⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

It is also the single rarest game available for the system (and the only one I don’t have!).

GBA games have actually come down to reasonable prices recently and eBay is actually now largely free of bootlegs! (outside of Pokémon).  As long as you have your wits about you, now’s actually a really good time to pick up some GBA games!

Steam Deck previews are out!

Absolutely monstrous performance! GTX 1050 class performance in a handheld; insane!

Battery life is incredibly variable; from a minimum of 1 hour 30 minutes all the way up to just over 6 hours; depending on how you're using it.

Shame about the rubbish rumble and the kind of middling screen quality; but yeah... You're paying less than half the price of competing portable PCs for a system that is not only around 1.7x as powerful, but also with FAR higher build quality all around.

Err... can I have this thing now? Please?

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Link to the Level

One Humanity is a new level for the 1994 id Software release DOOM® II created by John Romero to support the people of Ukraine and the humanitarian efforts of the Red Cross and the UN Central Emergency Response Fund. 100% of the proceeds go toward this support.

One Humanity is Romero’s first DOOM II level since the release of the original in 1994. The .WAD contains a readme text file as well as the external mod data. Players must have an original copy of DOOM II and a modern source port to play One Humanity.

Obviously, you can also donate somewhere else without getting anything in return, but why not use your (most likely) biggest hobby in conjunction with helping others.

It annoys me so much when I see all the developers donating and supporting Ukraine getting review bombed by what I assume are russian and chinese bots/users. 

Bundle for Ukraine

dUFzNh.png

The people of Ukraine are under attack. As game developers we want to create new worlds, not to destroy the one we have. That's why we've banded together to present this charity bundle to help Ukrainians survive this ordeal and thrive after the war ends. This cause has resonated with creators around the globe, to the extent that our bundle contains almost 1,000 games, tabletop RPGs, books, etc.

Over 700 creators have joined in support to donate their work. All proceeds from this bundle will be split between the following charities:

• International Medical Corps provides medical assistance in the region. They have very low fundraising overhead (1% of income), with 89% of donations going to medical aid and 10% to administration. 
  • Voices of Children, a Ukrainian organization that helps children cope with the horrors of war, PTSD, readjusting to school, and getting back to being kids. They have also been doing a lot of grassroots impromptu work during the war, such as helping set up shelters. Our hope is that this war will be over soon, and they can begin the work of healing these kids' hearts. 

Of these nearly 1,000 products, more than 600 have never been in a major bundle before. Several prominent developers and publishers signed up to itch.io specifically to be in this bundle. And there's something for everyone - we have almost 600 digital video games, over 300 analog tabletop RPGs, and dozens of asset packs, books, zines, and comics, soundtracks/music, and a host of other products. Also unique to this bundle, we only allowed paid products.

We kept the minimum low, but we highly urge you to pay above the minimum if you can afford to do so. All proceeds will be split between the charities 50/50.

We stand with Ukrainians, and with all people around the world who despise war.

Thank you.

• Like 3

Got the itch.io bundle for Ukraine. Great initiative, and an insane amount of content for a minimum of $10 (gave a little more myself). Also: no client needed, you just download the installation files from the website.

I remember itch.io did a similar bundle for BLM around the time of George Floyd's murder. I got that one back then, I'll get this one as well (during the weekend, when I have a bit more time to find my itch.io info). Strong initiatives, it's good to see such an effort from developers and online game stores alike.

Really hoping I'm in an early allocation for the Q2 Steam Decks that should start shipping at the beginning of April because the more I watch on it the more I'm getting excited for it, especially after I realised I won't need to dual boot for emulation purposes.

And here I am stuck waiting until "Q3"... man, this sucks :(

At least the kinks with Steam OS should've been worked out by then I suppose.

Humble now also has a Support Ukraine bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/stand-with-ukraine-bundle

For +/- 35 euros you will support the Ukraine cause, and get titles such as Back 4 Blood, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Slay the Spire, PGA Tour 2K21, This War of Mine, Wargroove and much much more. The games in this bundle are available on either Steam, GOG, or Rockstar Games Launcher for Windows — and some for Mac and Linux too.

Edited by Dufniall
  • Like 1

Still looking for a 3080 that won't destroy my bank account. I hear the 4000 series are being released this year though so i might actually wait for those.

Well according to the Steam Deck calculator webpage I should be getting my preorder email roughly around 13th June. I don’t think it’s been updated for the recently announced increase in shipments so that’ll maybe put me in May if I’m lucky. Not surprising really, I’m lucky to have a Q2 date as it is after Steam took around an hour to tell me my first attempt at ordering had failed due to an error so I lost all those places in the queue….not that I’m bitter 😆