NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

1 hour ago, ArtMediocre said:

Also, GoW on PC is a huge win! I haven't played the previous games though, so I think I'll be missing out on a lot of story if I just jump right into this game. Am I right, or is it a good game to play in its own sense?

As someone whose first God of War was 2018's, I think it's a really good place to jump in, and I'm sure many others here who jumped in with this game would agree. There are some references and nods to the earlier games, so maybe a quick look up of an IGN video on the events of the God of War timeline (I'm sure they've got one) before this might help a little, but the biggest "oh wow" moment was still effective for me as someone who knew bits and pieces about Kratos from what I'd heard and read growing up / once I got more into games. 

Not to say that playing the other games wouldn't add to certain moments, as I think @Hero-of-Time and @drahkon have attested to before, but I don't think it's vital for your enjoyment. I still thought it was GOTY-worthy that year with little knowledge of Kratos and the events of earlier games going in, so you should be fine! 

Edited by Julius

Yeah I think the latest God of War was probably a lot of people's introduction to the series. As with most things like this of course you'll get more out of knowing the history of the character and there are any number of videos that can catch you up but even going in blind you'll enjoy it.

14 hours ago, Julius said:

Not to say that playing the other games wouldn't add to certain moments, as I think @Hero-of-Time and @drahkon have attested to before, but I don't think it's vital for your enjoyment. I still thought it was GOTY-worthy that year with little knowledge of Kratos and the events of earlier games going in, so you should be fine! 

@ArtMediocre

There's one sequence that won't "hit" as hard/awesome as it did for H-o-T and me (and others who played all GoW games) but it won't hinder your enjoyment. The latest God of War is a masterpiece in its own right and can be played without prior knowledge of the series.

• Like 2

GOW PC is a huge get, big step forward for Playstation's efforts onto the PC platform.

Not gonna lie though, I really wish that they'd port the original GOW1-3 trilogy onto PC.  I'd be much more interested in that than the modern GOW games.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dcubed said:

GOW PC is a huge get, big step forward for Playstation's efforts onto the PC platform.

Not gonna lie though, I really wish that they'd port the original GOW1-3 trilogy onto PC.  I'd be much more interested in that than the modern GOW games.

My thoughts exactly. Would be good to get the full story, not just the latest one.

Might watch some let's plays.

I need a new Spelunky-like game to play. Spelunky 2 never grabbed me like 1 did but I play it just enough that 1's controls feel outdated now. Might try Dead Cells again I guess. I had that on Switch and enjoyed what I played.

Steamworld Dig is worth checking out, if you like games with a digging mechanic, I hear the sequel is good too, though you may have played them already.

If not, they are probably the closest thing to Spelunky, though they have their own style.

Hmm, maybe add both games to a wishlist though, I've just noticed that the first game is £7 and the second game is £15...

I'd have thought they would both be around a fiver by now, they probably go on sale regularly though, and it's not that I'm saying that they aren't worth the money, they do seem to be solid titles, but they have been out for a few years now... there is an option to buy all the Steamworld games, which is quite good value, but not much good if you just wanted the Dig titles.

Edited by S.C.G

It’s been nice getting back into PC gaming lately, both with some of my older games and looking into what I might have missed over the last couple of years ready for the Steam Deck.

I ended up buying Hades to play for the moment which I’m enjoying so far and loading my wish list with a load of indie games that look interesting.

Grabbed myself a few games in the various sales going on at the moment. Two Point Hospital and COD Modern Warfare. Along with Hades those should satisfy my various gaming urges for a while.

20 hours ago, Happenstance said:

COD Modern Warfare

Oooooooh, hello there :3

Is it the 2019 version? If you play online I wouldn't mind teaming up with you now and then :D

If you just bought it for the story, that's understandable. Really masterfully made. Some of the missions blew me away, especially the breach of the building in London. I hope you enjoy it!

7 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Oooooooh, hello there :3

Is it the 2019 version? If you play online I wouldn't mind teaming up with you now and then :D

If you just bought it for the story, that's understandable. Really masterfully made. Some of the missions blew me away, especially the breach of the building in London. I hope you enjoy it!

Yeah 2019 version. Mostly for the campaign but I’ll let you know if I venture into the multiplayer at all. I’m enjoying it so far and impressed at how well my laptop is holding up pushing it to my ultrawide at high settings. The sound from the fans though is making me consider moving back to a proper desktop pc as my primary machine. Might keep an eye out for any Black Friday deals.

May be an image of screen and indoor

With the console shortages this generation, I'm so glad I decided to main PC gaming over a year ago. A new Soundbar and Second monitor I managed to get with the back pay I was due (I haven't even gotten all of it yet) is going to make both personal gaming and streaming gaming so much better for me in the long run.

I am quite happy GoW has made the jump and it looks like more is on the way, the fact that maybe Sackboy: A Big Adventure might also release on PC will pretty much mean I don't need a PS5 at all. I will be looking forward to more news on future PS releases.

• Like 1

Ordered my new desktop as Ebuyer's Black Friday deals have started. I was originally going for a much more expensive RTX 3070 build but was talked down so I've got a Ryzen 7 3700x, RTX 3060 ti, 16GB ram build coming this weekend. I was hoping to get the Ryzen 5000 series given all the positivity over it but for a saving of £700 I just couldn't justify those increases in power. The one thing I may upgrade straight away though is the cooling. I was looking forward to finally having a much quieter AIO cooler but that had to be downgraded to just regular air cooling so I may swap that out.

Wound up booting up my Steam library again after the sale. My laptop is too underpowered to run triple A games but its perfectly fine with running Indie games. If anyone's seen in the Gaming Diary thread I have been playing Rivals of Aether recently. The Workshop Mods were quite attractive, I've never played a game with mods before but its been fun just to mess around and turn rivals into "Indie Smash Bros" or at least that was the original intention. Mugen Smash was a lot more enticing in the end but I still tried to put in as many indie characters as possible, most from games I've never played but I figured that would replicate how in Smash Bros you probably haven't played half the gaming franchises that are in the roster. Some characters such as Ronald McDonald caused severe lag to games so I removed them from my roster.

Steam Deck launch delayed by two months to February 2022. 

Mine wasn't due for me to confirm my order until Q2 anyways, and I'm in no real rush for it either, so...oh well, these things happen! ::shrug:

Edited by Julius

PC features trailer for God of War, which is still coming 14th January 2022. 

Also put out a handy graphic for the system requirements of the five configurations for the game:

GoW2018_PC_SpecSheet_Final_WebSize.jpg

I should be alright for Performance but I doubt I’d get the game until it got a massive discount as I’ve already played it on PS4.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade is coming to the Epic Games Store on 16th December (so, next Friday):

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

YEEEEEES I can FINALLY PLAY it! 

(And also now I will never need to buy a PS4 or PS5 xD)

Day 1 buy for me!

Like many others, would have preferred Steam (or just no "gaming client" required at all), but I'll take it!

• Like 1

Epic Games is having their "15 games for christmas"-thingy going on now, so, there's a new free mystery game each day. Shenmue 3 from 2019 is available now, with a new game opening up in three hours. Grab 'em if you can!