NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Really happy with my new Razer Blade 15. Gave Witcher 3 a quick test this morning and I was getting a pretty stable 60fps on Ultra. Thermals were good as well. I'm sure some more taxing stuff will get them hotter but when I checked during Witcher the cpu was around 63.

Now if Yodel could just get me my bloody new hard drive delivered I could start installing other things to test!

Thanks to the Amazon Black Friday Sale I was finally able to get a new 2TB SSD to replace the basic 250GB that came with my PC. Went with the Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD, though I had been hoping to get the Samsung 860 EVO 2 when it was £189.99, but when I went to order it the price had gone up by £50 which took it out of my price range, which was disappointing but I'm more than satisfied with the speed I have now compared to my old one.

So the D-pad on my Xbox One PC controller isn't working properly, it doesn't always register my pressing up which really messes with me in rhythm games like Muse Dash. So I was looking into getting a new one for Christmas, but should I go with another one or should I try a 3rd party controller? I have a budget of about £42 so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Depending on how long you are willing to wait it might even be worth putting some extra money aside and getting a PS5 controller. I hear it's starting to work well with the latest Steam beta builds.

• Thanks 1

The Xbox Series X controllers often go on sale for £45 if you can stretch your budget a little. The d-pad design has changed and I'm not really sure how good it is.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ike said:

The Xbox Series X controllers often go on sale for £45 if you can stretch your budget a little. The d-pad design has changed and I'm not really sure how good it is.

I need to get my hands on one of those at some point. I'm interested to try that d-pad myself.

50 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Depending on how long you are willing to wait it might even be worth putting some extra money aside and getting a PS5 controller. I hear it's starting to work well with the latest Steam beta builds.

For me already being a Sony adopter, I tend to find I get confused with most games only showing Xbox controls on PC, when I tried connecting my PS4 Controller I often found myself doing wrong inputs because of the layout.

10 minutes ago, Ike said:

I could certainly stretch the budget that far or even to the normal price, the d-pad certainly has changed from pictures and it looks like it would be easier to do inputs on it. Will have to look into it since you can get a discount for a 3 month PC game pass on Amazon.

Thank you both for the swift responses.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

23 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

For me already being a Sony adopter, I tend to find I get confused with most games only showing Xbox controls on PC, when I tried connecting my PS4 Controller I often found myself doing wrong inputs because of the layout.

Yeah it tends to depend on the game. I think last gen with the popularity of the PS4 a lot of games actually got pretty good at auto detecting or offering a choice of button layouts in the settings but if its an older game or a dev that didn't put in the extra work then it can be a hassle.

• Like 1

Both Yakuza Like a Dragon and Rocket League switch to the PS button layout when using a DS4 via wired connection, but I still prefer to use the controller wirelessly (via 8BitDo adapter) so have just forced myself to mentally map the Xbox button layout to my DS4. :heh: 

I still make the occasional input mistake, but it’s becoming pretty rare now. :hehe: 

If/when my DS4 dies I’ll probably look into the Series X controller as a replacement.

Okay, just to torture myself I made a list of games I own on PC and are on my to play list. Need to play means it's essential, and want to play games with a lower priority. Finish are games I started and am pretty far in.

I know it's probably nothing compared to what others have in their PC backlog, but this is daunting already! And I left out plenty of titles which are good but not as high on my list as these.

Need to play Want to play Finish
Bioshock Remastered Dragon Ball Xenoverse Brütal Legend
Bioshock 2 Remastered Doki Doki Literature Club Jurassic World Evolution
Command & Conquer Remastered Fallout: New Vegas Resident Evil 6
Sonic Generations NiGHTS into Dreams Subnautica
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Total War: SHOGUN 2 World War Z
Batman Arkham Trilogy Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap  
Celeste ABZU  
Inside Blair Witch  
Sid Meier's Civilization VI Borderlands The Pre-Sequel  
Assasin's Creed series Borderlands 2  
  Ghostbusters The Video Game Remastered  
  The Stanley Parable  
  This War of Mine  
  Watch_Dogs  
  Watch_Dogs 2  
  What Remains of Edith Finch  
  Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair  
  Beyond Good and Evil  
  Far Cry 3 / Blood Dragon  
  Rayman Origins  
  Rayman Legends  

I could really use some new PC speakers. Anyone got any recommendations for something not too big or expensive?

Are you looking for a 2.0 or 2.1 set (two speakers or two speakers + subwoofer)? I have the Hercules XPS 2.0 80, they're marketed as DJ monitors but work perfect as PC speaker. They are a bit more "neutral" soundwise because of that. Price was around €100. I picked them because I do a little bit of sound editing/music recording as well besides music/video/gaming audio. Obviously they ripped off KRK with that yellow cone but for the price I paid for them I'm happy with them!

1523449953IMG_2604.JPG

As for other brands, we used to sell a lot of Logitech sets in the computer shop I used to work in, but also a lot of Edifier. Both have a lot of options in the range between €30-150 (don't know what your budget exactly is). I was pretty charmed by the build and sound quality of Edifier. Another very good option are the T20 or T40 series II from Creative, sold a lot of these as well and their sound quality was very good as well. Out of these 3 brands I would probably choose Edifier or Creative. 

Good to consider if you want them to support Bluetooth as well or if they are only for PC. There are quite some models who have Bluetooth options. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I'm just looking for 2 speakers, don't think I need a subwoofer. I'll take a look at the ones you mentioned thanks. Obviously cheaper would be better but if I do the research and find some I really like then I don't mind paying extra.

If you missed them the first time, the 4 SEGA 60th special games on Steam are available for the next couple of days:

11 hours ago, Cube said:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games

Epic Games sale is on, with a coupon to use repeatedly. Bugsnax is £5.29 with the code.

Also a free game each day for the next 15 days. Cities Skylines available until 4PM (UK) today.

Bought/obtained Cities Skylines today and have...probably spent the last 4 or so hours on it. Lovely to get back into it again. Such a great game. Whaaaaaat a massive time sucker, though.

Right, so I've busted another mouse (to be fair this one has lasted quite long), so I'm looking to replace it. My keyboard is still okay-ish but I think I should just get a new set because who doesn't want a matching keyboard and mouse? Requirements are wired, preferably RGB colour LEDs.

The set I had now was a pretty cheap set from Cooler Master but it was pretty good. But I don't mind spending a bit more now. Any recommendations?

I have the Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, and I love it to bits! Wide range of dpi, customizable weights, rgb lightning and great comfort. Can't go wrong with that one. It's a bit on the expensive side, but it keeps on winning "best mouse of 20XX" competitions. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

I have the Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, and I love it to bits! Wide range of dpi, customizable weights, rgb lightning and great comfort. Can't go wrong with that one. It's a bit on the expensive side, but it keeps on winning "best mouse of 20XX" competitions. 

I was going to recommend the mouse I've been using, but after some googling it turns out it's this one, so I second this post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! I'm guessing the G502 is pretty popular as it's sold-out everywhere. It's also a bit above the price I was going to spend.

Currently I'm looking at the Steelseries Apex 3 and the Steelseries Rival 3. The keyboard is getting good reviews and the only thing that it's lacking is per-key RGB, but it does have 10 zones RGB. The mouse is pretty straightforward. I prefer symmetrical mice, and I never really felt the need for a lot of extra buttons. Still, I may spend a bit more for a better equipped mouse. But this set right now would cost me about €100 which is about what I was planning on spending.

aHCGz72.jpg

Put the final touches on the new desk today with monitor arm and vertical laptop stand. Pretty happy with it.

• Like 3

aHCGz72.jpg

Put the final touches on the new desk today with monitor arm and vertical laptop stand. Pretty happy with it.
Looks sweet. Do you kneel at the desk or sort of crouch down?