NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

13 minutes ago, bob said:
3 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:
This. There are quite a bunch of more sleek gaming laptops out there that don't look like a carnival. Or you could look into ones with a GTX1650 graphic cards for basic gaming, and you will probably find laptops targeted at content creators which also don't have a gamey look.

I actually dont mind the look of the ASUS ROG series, but apparently they have an overheating problem.

I think it depends on the series. Basically now they have the Zephyrus (thin and light and I think these may have some overheating problems), Strix (which are a bit more bulky but have much better cooling) and TUF Gaming (which are mostly plastic budget ones, but cooling is okay and they're the cheapest).

I was actually product manager for Asus notebooks up until two years ago haha. Back then I didn't receive many overheating complaints, but I don't know how it is now.

• Like 1

I think it depends on the series. Basically now they have the Zephyrus (thin and light and I think these may have some overheating problems), Strix (which are a bit more bulky but have much better cooling) and TUF Gaming (which are mostly plastic budget ones, but cooling is okay and they're the cheapest).
I was actually product manager for Asus notebooks up until two years ago haha. Back then I didn't receive many overheating complaints, but I don't know how it is now.
Yeah i was referring to the Zephyrus ones. They look quite nice, but i guess the thinness is what gives you the heat problems!

The Strix/TUF look more like a 17 year old's bedroom which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I think i need to go away and have a good think about my budget as well. It's so easy to see it creep up when looking at graphics cards!

I'm not sure how it is now with Zephyrus as they are going in the third generation, so you would think they have the overheating under control.

But true, gaming notebooks get expensive very fast! Anything over a 2060 is creeping up to the €2000. Like @Happenstance said, you can buy quite a nifty PC for that money!

You can also wait a bit longer, buy a cheap laptop and a Google Stadia subscription. :p 

I decided on one of these in the end:

3e2e9e733ece23092c599b3adddba5f9.jpg

The Razer Blade 15

I went for one with a pretty substantial graphics card (2060), as it should hopefully future proof it for a few years. It was really tempting to get the next one up (2070), but it was an extra £250 and I'm not sure I'd even be able to tell the difference.

Now i have to wait until Wednesday like a chump.

• Like 4

Nearly got one of those myself a few years ago. 

We should figure out at some point how many of us do quite a bit of PC gaming and if there’s anything we could all get together with to play. 

Nice one @bob, looks pretty clean for a gaming notebook!

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

We should figure out at some point how many of us do quite a bit of PC gaming and if there’s anything we could all get together with to play. 

I'd be up for that. What kind of PC games do you guys usually play in multiplayer? I usually prefer co-op over p2p because I mostly suck, but I'm open to all suggestions. :p 

I’m definitely more of a co-op gamer as well or even just stuff where we share a world.

I usually play FPS like CoD or BF, but I'm up for anything enjoyable if I can find time for it. I'm Norwegian though, so voice might be so-so :p

Played some of the Friday the 13th game today and thought it was pretty good. They’ve definitely nailed the tense and creepy atmosphere. I might have to try their Predator game when it comes down in price.

New laptop arrived. Spent most of the day setting it up. Tried playing Borderlands 1 on max settings, and it was sooo smooth! Love it. Might try some VR tonight, and maybe The Witcher 3 if it downloads.

• Like 2

Halo 2 dropped the other day or so. I already completed Reach and Halo 1's campaigns, so now I'm currently playing through Halo 2's campaign on legendary. This is my first time through Halo 2's campaign, so it's new to me. :D

MAN it's tougher than Halo 1. Or perhaps I just have more experience with Halo 1. xD

Anywho having a blast.

The game drops a bit in FPS a bit for me sometimes on the anniversary graphics, which is disappointing since the game has way less complex graphics than Battlefield 4, and that runs at a solid 60 FPS on my PC. But it's not toooo often and I'm not an "EVERYTHING MUST RUN AT 9000 FPS AT ALL TIMES" guy.

The graphics in the cutscenes are AMAZING. I actually just for a second thought one of the characters was an actual actor.

The music's pretty darn good as well, really enjoyed some of the tracks in the game so far.

The gameplay's great - well, it's Halo and I like Halo, so that makes sense. xD

Started a new world on Terraria today with the final update. Unfortunately it's been so long since I properly played that I don't really know whats new and what isn't :laughing:. Nice to get back to the game though after all this time.

Edited by Happenstance

The lockdown has been messing with my sense of time again and I didn’t realise how close we are to the release of the C&C remaster. Just preordered my copy and I can’t wait to play it.

• Like 1

SAME! Well, I haven't pre-ordered but it will most likely be a day 1 buy for me and I can't wait! :D

Civilization 6 available for free on the Epic Games Store from today until the 28th.

It's typical that the two big games Epic made free during the lockdown are the two that I bought at the beginning of the lockdown as something to play.

• Sad 1

Had to get a refund of my C&C Remaster preorder from Greenmangaming as they were originally offering Steam keys but they emailed today to say they've got Origin ones instead. No way I'm using Origin again after the mess over the last few weeks. Bloody thing kept launching games while I was in the middle of playing stuff.

• Sad 1

KANE LIVES!!! PEACE THROUGH POWER! PEACE THROUGH POWER!

Remaster unlocks tomorrow at 6PM (if I've calculated it correctly xD) wooooo!

Edited by Sckewi
  • Like 2

Only played the first couple of C&C missions so far but I think it looks great and plays exactly how I would want it to. Gonna jump into a skirmish on Red Alert in a minute I think!

• Like 1

I buy very few PC games, maybe one every two or three years or so. Been looking forward to the C&C Remasters since I heard about them. Download is almost complete and I can't wait to play a Red Alert skirmish!

• Like 1

Damn I was going to wait for a sale but now I'm getting excited. I've been playing Red Alert 3 Uprising lately so I'm very much in the mood for more C&C. 

Not sure if many use it, but Itch.io are selling a massive bundle in for charity to raise funds for the Black Lives Matter movement. There's upwards of 700 games in the bundle, with a minimum donation of $5 netting you the lot and donations going to NAACP Defense and Education Fund and Community Bail Fund. Some of the highlights include games like Oxenfree, Astrologaster, A Short Hike and Night in the Woods to name a few. And of course with it being Itch.io, all games are DRM free.

It's a hell of a bundle deal with enough games to keep anyone going for years. Tempted myself but money is a bit tight and would want to make more of a donation than the minimum so will have to see but the link's below if anyone is interested.

https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality

• Thanks 1

The Itch.io deal I mentioned in the post above has doubled the number of games included in the bundle. There's now over 1400 games included, with Celeste being one of the new games being add. If you've already bought/donated, any new games added before the bundle deal finishes will be added to your library.

It was already an insanely good deal for a good cause but this is just incredible. You could play a new game every day for near enough the next 4 years as it stands. Theres currently just over 5 and a half days left to grab the bundle and donate. Think I'll see if I can sort something up and free up a bit of money to make a donation as it's got a couple of things I'd forgotten about but was interested in a bit back (such as Visual Out).