NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Quick question, does anybody here have any experience with Steam's refund policy? I was thinking of grabbing a recent game that may or may not run on my computer, and want to make sure whether a refund is easy to get or not.
I believe that as long as you 'return' it within a certain time, you get a full refund.
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Quick question, does anybody here have any experience with Steam's refund policy? I was thinking of grabbing a recent game that may or may not run on my computer, and want to make sure whether a refund is easy to get or not.

You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam—for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn't like it.

It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look.

You will be issued a full refund of your purchase within a week of approval. You will receive the refund in Steam Wallet funds or through the same payment method you used to make the purchase. If, for any reason, Steam is unable to issue a refund via your initial payment method, your Steam Wallet will be credited the full amount. (Some payment methods available through Steam in your country may not support refunding a purchase back to the original payment method. Click here for a full list.)

More details here.

• Thanks 1

Yep, it' an easy process :). I've done it a couple of times, and there were no issues.

On a sidenote: Just bought a new motherboard (Asus Z370-E Strix), finally a new coffee lake processor (i7 8700-K) and 16 GB of DDR4 RAM. will be good to get the rest of the system up to speed with my GTX 1070. Now I'm ready for more demanding VR titles, Battlefield V and Just Cause 4 :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice setup! Get those six cores working!

Game wise I recently finished Bioshock: Infinite, great game with a story that gives you the shivers. Also completed the Burial At Sea DLC, with another couple of mindf*cks.

Further I grabbed myself the Rocksmith cable and Rocksmith Remastered to get some guitar hero action on with my bass guitar, and in the near future get an electric guitar and see how that works out.

• Thanks 1

So anyone excited about the new NVIDIA series of graphics cards? They will first release the RTX 2080TI, RTX 2080 and RTX 2070. New is the use of RT cores for ray-tracing, improving lightning and shadow effects.

From a Dutch techsite:

RTX 2080 Ti RTX 2080 RTX 2070 GTX 1080 Ti GTX 1080 GTX 1070
Cuda-cores 4352 2944 2304 3584 2560 1920
Clock speed (MHz) 1350 1515 1410 1480 1607 1506
Boost (MHz) 1545 / 1635 1515 / 1800 1620 / 1700 1582 1733 1683
Vram 11GB gddr6 8GB gddr6 8GB gddr6 11GB gddr5x 8GB gddr5x 8GB gddr5
Memory speed 14Gbit/s 14Gbit/s 14Gbit/s 11Gbit/s 10Gbit/s 8Gbit/s
Memory bus 352bit 256bit 256bit 352bit 256bit 256bit
Memory bandwith 616GB/s 448GB/s 448GB/s 484GB/s 352GB/s 256GB/s
Tdp (Watt) 250 / 260 215 / 225 175 / 185 250 180 150
Introduction price ($) 999 / 1199 699 / 799 499 / 599 699 599 / 699 399 / 499

I'm currently running on a GTX970 and it still runs what I want it to run. Prices also seem steep compared to previous releases. But who knows, soon I'll be behind 2 generations. And maybe this is a good time to upgrade or buy a 10XX series second-hand.

So quite recently, Toby Fox released a demo for a game called Deltarune.

He's the guy who made awesome Bullet hell/RPG Undertale.

Anyway, I just played it. It's great, but I have so many questions!

You can download it here.

• Thanks 1

I'll be sure to check it out! And I have to try out Undertale one day too...

Like @Vileplume2000 posted in the Destiny 2 thread, Destiny 2 is free until November 18 if you log into your PC Battle.net client. Just claim your gift and it's yours. Just be ready for a hefty download, seeing as it is about 80 GB.

• Thanks 1

For all y'all who use GOG.com, they're giving away Soma for free for the next...36 hours or so (I snapped the game the moment I saw that and didn't even check how long the counter still had to go). It's from the same guys who made Amnesia, and its critical response has been just as good, so get it while you can!

Edited by Jonnas

I posted it in the Bargains thread yeah.

I happily payed money for Soma. Gameplay-wise.. things could be better at certain points, but story-wise, this is one of the best stories in a game I've experienced in recent years.

So how is everything feeling about the "war" between all PC gaming clients? Both GOG and Epic are trying to pilfer marketshare from Steam with better margins for the publishers and by giving away free games.

In the last couple of weeks I've got Soma, Super Meat Boy, Subnautica and A Story About My Uncle for free. Destiny I've received earlier, and also Ubisoft has given away games for free before. Good news for the consumer. Or is it? I now have: GOG, Epic, uPlay, Origin, Battle.net, LoL launcher and Steam installed.

Right now I don't mind installing another launcher to get a free game. But I only put money in two of them (and I got a code for an Origin game so okay let's count that as well). The positive aspect is that there is competition, which means prices should go down, and already we are getting some games for free.

The downside I have now is that I have to update all these clients. They don't boot up on startup, I don't want 6 clients running in the background. But the clients need updating and the games need updating. So that means somehow figure out a cycle to keep everything updated, or run the risk of having to download a substantial update for a game I want to play.

The other downside is that there will be some platform exclusives. It isn't bothering me that much as I don't buy that many games on PC, but if the franchises I like get splintered over different platforms that's not a situation I would like. To be honest I was quite happy with Steam being my only source.

I actually posted a reaction on Tweakers about this!

In short: I don't mind it, but in practice I'll stick to mainly Steam and a few others, because otherwise I'm losing oversight and I also don't like to have too many of them on my computer. The new game from the makers of Transistor / Bastion / Pyre is actually exclusive on the new Epic store while it's in early access. And so I have no interest in it for now.

• Like 1

How do I feel... hmm.. how about, I wish you'd come here and told us all that Subnautica was free 2 weeks ago :p

• Haha 1

Competition is healthy. Steam has gotten too complacent, and buried in its own bullshit (like that obtuse card system that gets advertised all over the place, or their infamous early access store). Their only draw at this point is that they have the largest store, considering they haven't been trying too hard to secure exclusives for the past decade or so. They need a wake-up call.

GOG is my favourite service, seeing as they keep true to their DRM-free tagline (not needing a launcher, and the ability to easily play games on any PC, even if offline, is a hell of a boon), they keep a reliable library of older games, and even their UI is easier to navigate (extras and installfolders are almost always in the same place, unlike with Steam).

I still haven't played anything on the Epic Games store, but the free games are a cool deal (though Subnautica is, so far, the only one I didn't already own). The fact that my account and game list can't be browsed on their website is really inconvenient, though. And curiously, I still haven't seen a more traditional sale or discount from them. Not sure if this is going to work out for them, but hopefully it'll get better.

Haven't tried other stores, nor do I intend to right now. On a side note, What Remains of Edith Finch is free on the Epic Games store for the next 6 days or so. Get it while you can, it's a short-yet-fantastic game.

Edited by Jonnas

Quake 2 is looking pretty great when raytraced.

Edit: for comparison, the section that you see in this video at 1:08, you can see here: 

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 2

What the hell!?!?

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/512143-heavy-rain-beyond-detroit-pc-later-this-year#GlqQdy3oT4x4shzo.99

Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Becoming Human are coming to the Epic Games Store!?!?!

WHAT THE HELL!?!? First Microsoft go third party on Nintendo platforms, now Sony!?!? What is this? Bizzaro World!? :o 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wait, what now!??! Is this real??? This is so strange :O. What's next, God of War?

I've always loved the way Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Becoming Human looked. I'm glad I'm finally getting to play them :D

Just felt it needed to be said here as well. Master Chief is finally coming home!

Screenshot-2019-03-12-at-22.05.28.png?fi

Bizarrely enough, it's even coming out on Steam! It's up for preorder now, and will be released one game at a time, in a chronological order, starting with Halo: Reach.

The list of games is as follows:
Halo: Reach
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Halo 2: Anniversary 
Halo 3
Halo 3: ODST Campaign
Halo 4

I can't wait to relive the whole franchise, and also to be able to play Halo 4 (even though it's not near the original trilogy in terms of quality). It will be awesome to play some good old Halo multiplayer on it's intended platform :D 

Edited by ArtMediocre
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 9:00 AM, ArtMediocre said:

Just felt it needed to be said here as well. Master Chief is finally coming home!

Screenshot-2019-03-12-at-22.05.28.png?fi

Bizarrely enough, it's even coming out on Steam! It's up for preorder now, and will be released one game at a time, in a chronological order, starting with Halo: Reach.

The list of games is as follows:
Halo: Reach
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Halo 2: Anniversary 
Halo 3
Halo 3: ODST Campaign
Halo 4

I can't wait to relive the whole franchise, and also to be able to play Halo 4 (even though it's not near the original trilogy in terms of quality). It will be awesome to play some good old Halo multiplayer on it's intended platform :D 

Wasn't Mac its original intended platform?

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess you could say that. Not really the best userbase for games, tbh :p But as long as I get to play the trilogy + more with mouse and keyboard I'm happy! 

On 6-5-2019 at 12:18 PM, Happenstance said:

I’m in a big RTS mood at the moment. Might have to reinstall Starcraft II.

Great game. I go back to it every now and then to play the co-op missions online. I wonder when we will hear about SCIII, but I wouldn't mind if they put out some extra missions DLC for this game as the gameplay is still solid as a rock.

13 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Great game. I go back to it every now and then to play the co-op missions online. I wonder when we will hear about SCIII, but I wouldn't mind if they put out some extra missions DLC for this game as the gameplay is still solid as a rock.

Do you think we'll even get SCIII though? Legacy of the Void came out to pretty much no fanfare at all thanks to Dota 2's rise to glory during STII's lifespan.

I really hope we do. Although I'm slightly losing confidence in Blizzard. But it is still a massive eSports title, although that might actually be a reason to just keep patching and balancing SCII instead of working on SCIII.