NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

On 2017-6-21 at 3:59 PM, Nicktendo said:

Should probably get an Xbox One pad and a decent mouse as well if I'm spending this much on the machine. Any PC gamers got a suggestion?

I can heartily recommend the Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Great mouse for the price, with just enough buttons without looking bad. And with the thumb rest it really feels good to use over long time. But as someone already said, go and try out a few. It's better to get a feel for it other than just jumping the gun.

• Like 1

On 2017-6-21 at 6:59 PM, Nicktendo said:

I was thinking of going down the Ryzen 5 1600 and RX580 road as it seems to be a good option at a decent price. I've always had Intel with Nvidia systems, so it's completely new territory for me, but what I've read and heard about the Ryzen, it seems to be a good option.

Good call. One other thing is that Ryzen CPUs consist of multiple core complexes stitched together with what's called an "infinity fabric." Inter communication between the complexes is really really improved by high speed low latency ram (much more so than Intel processors) so make sure if you're going for 8gb you get the best stuff you can afford. 

• Like 1

Ended up buying PlayerUnknown's Battleground last night. I was planning on waiting for a console release but I buckled.

Played my first game this morning and got 19th place with 2 kills which I'm quite happy with. Got to wait for deliveries and repair men today so probably won't play much until tonight as its not a game I can just pause and walk away from!

• Like 2

Got Hollow Knight as well. Looked really good in today's SGDQ speedrun and I've been hearing a lot of positive buzz and game of the year talk about it so I wanted to give it a try.

Picked up Hollow Knight myself as the first game I've bought in a Steam Summer Sale. Had seen a video put out by Easy Allies on it and they seemed to be very positive about the game, as did a lot of other places. Liked the look of it as well so thought why not. Though, my PC isn't exactly the best as it stutters playing it a bit even in window mode which is a shame. It's playable but I'd love it to be a bit smoother for the platforming but hopefully I'll be upgrading my rig soon so should alleviate some of those issues.

Also picked up The Stanley Parable alongside it. Thought if I was going to pick up stuff for the first time, might as well get something "iconic" so grabbed this and have had a good laugh playing with the missus watching, getting the Confusion ending on my first go.

Gonna pick up a couple other things before the sale ends but it's a bit daunting going through the thousands of games and not really knowing where to start as I've never played much on PC besides playing things like Big Red Racing, Little Big Adventure and the Rollercoaster Tycoon games back in the day so a lot to catch up on.

• Like 2

Haha, glad to hear you enjoyed The Stanley Parable. It's a great game, with loads of good laughs. For anyone who still hasn't tried it, go play it now!

I got around to buying PlayerUnknown's BattleGrounds last night as well. Teamed up with three other friends and had a couple of bad runs, but I got the hang of the mechanics of the game. Seems like a good game, and it's most likely gonna take over from Overwatch as my main party game. 

I just bought a third sensor for the Oculus Rift, so as soon as I can move the PC out in the living room (probably around october/november), I'll set up 360 VR-space. Can't wait! :D

On 26/06/2017 at 9:00 PM, The Bard said:

Good call. One other thing is that Ryzen CPUs consist of multiple core complexes stitched together with what's called an "infinity fabric." Inter communication between the complexes is really really improved by high speed low latency ram (much more so than Intel processors) so make sure if you're going for 8gb you get the best stuff you can afford. 

Early days yet. It is affected by RAM speed but more for those concerned about min/maxing. You get a good boost with going to 2800. 

I ordered my parts. Many second hand. The gpu and memory prices are obscene. 

Hope it works out. Just need to choose the chip. Leaning towards the Ryzen 6 1600 or 7 1700. 

Help me choose! 

Edited by Choze

Speaking of Oculus Rift, there's a deal going on, you can get a set (including both the touch controllers ans an XBox one controller) for 450 euros at the moment.

I'll wait until I have a new computer and the next iteration is out.

Yeah, for anyone interested in the Oculus Rift, or VR in general, this is as good a deal as it gets. It's about half the price of the HTC Vive, and the Oculus is actually a better headset. So if you have an interest in VR gaming, and have the PC to run it, you should consider buying the Oculus while supplies lasts.

The only downside for me at the moment for Oculus is that they still insist on their closed off system which is why I'm happier with my Vive. Not so much an issue for people getting in on this deal though, just kind of for the growth of VR overall.

• Like 1

Yeah, true enough. I feel the same. VR should be an open "platform", and one headset shouldn't be closed off to the other. There's enough exclusivity going on in the console business. We don't need that in this brand new and growing community. But to be honest, I think I ended up choosing the Rift over the Vive because of the exclusive games on the system. Thankfully it's starting to loosen up.

On a different note: I tried Batman: Arkham VR last night. God damn, that was a cool demo. And the ending. Fucked me up :D. I really recommend it if you have a VR-system and want a short but sweet experience!

Motherboard arrived. Awaiting the gpu and ram. My old cooler is compatible with a bracket that is being sent for free(with expensive shipping). 

First time going AMD. I've always had an intel. 

The motherboard itself is a great deal. Same price Intel motherboards give far less. Got all the connections and great sound etc. easily this time. Felt like i made no compromises :)

• Like 1

Early Ryzen 3 stuff making the rounds now.

Its looking good. Lets see what others come up with but its similar to the other Ryzen, this time against the i3 (4 vs 2 cores). The motherboards get even cheaper here. 

Optimisation going really good. Still room for improvement given low utilisation.

Cant wait for the Destiny Beta again :p

• Like 1

@Shorty I can't speak for the Ryzen, as I'm an Intel bro, but everything else is pretty good for VR. 16 BG is gold, and 1060 is good enough. If you could though, see if you can crank it up to a 1070. I have it and everything is flawless. You get the 8 GB of ram, and a card that will last you a bit longer than the 1060. If not, go with the components you've selected there. Gonna be fun to hear your VR experiences! :D

• Like 1

On 2017-8-2 at 4:07 PM, Shorty said:

So, PC bros. To use a rift I'm looking at about £710 for a Ryzen 5, 1060 6GB gpu, 16GB of RAM and a mobo. Does that seem about right?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fTryPs

My take is £300+ for the 1060 is simply too much and puts you nearer 1070 territory. If buying a 580/1060 6GB I recommend closer 250ish as it is better value. The Asus are generally just higher priced in the UK. 

The MSI is great for a B350. They giving away Overwatch and cashback this summer with some retailers. I went with the Asus Crosshair x370 for my build and will post here. As I intend to heavily overclock and shall use various features. 

RAM wise Ryzen loves high speed RAM which is where many of the new benchmarks are coming from. Like overclocking it will really push your results up. This Corsair is pretty nice?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/mtp323/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16r

Or you can compromise until prices are more sane like I am doing. Rocking my 8GB 2800 and Asus 1050 GTX in the mean time :geek:

Edited by Choze
  • Like 1

At £300 for 1060 and £430 for 1070 it seems like more than a little jump for more power!

Well either way, I'm going to hold off for a little bit I think til money evens out a bit. That feedback was very appreciated though.

• Like 1

1070 is what I'd call minimum for VR if you're not looking to lower settings too much.  VR is not just frame rate but also refresh rate and frame time. Plus the 10xx series is a year old now and as time goes on the 1060 will likely begin having more struggles.

I'm always a fan of Hardocp for getting PC knowledge as they are typically extremely thorough and unbiased.

Basically though steer away from AMD though, unless something changes with Vega they just don't offer nearly as good of a VR experience.

Any of them really, Galaxy MSI Palit ASUS EVGA being probably the best brands. But there's nothing wrong with Gigabyte or Zotac either. 

Really just look at what you're willing to pay up to and compare the cards between brands. Some will have slightly different clock speeds and they'll have different cooling designs but it's all basically the same. 

• Like 1