NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Any particular type of games you are looking for? There's so much on Steam it needs to be narrowed down first!

pretty much anytihng but strategy and visual novels.

picked up a couple point and click games so far but thats about it.

I'll just list some of my favourites then, you probably know most of them though:

Spelunky

Terraria

FTL

To the Moon

Gunpoint

Rogue Legacy

Binding of Isaac

Fallout New Vegas

Sleeping Dogs

Kerbal Space Program

Witcher 3

Hotline Miami

Spec Ops: The Line

Superhot

Hitman

DOOM

Prison Architect

Stardew Valley

Fez

Volgarr the Viking

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons

Mount Your Friends

Gone Home

Cibele

Dear Esther

Valkyria Chronicles

Bully

Deponia

Day of the Tentacle Remastered

The Dig

Loom

Space Quest Collection

The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition

Monkey Island 2 Special Edition

Tales of Monkey Island

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Indiana Jones and the Last Cursade

Fran Bow

Leisure Suit Larry

Runaway: A Twist of Fate

Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle

Runaway: A Road Adventure

GRID

GRID 2

Crazy Taxi

Mostly point and click stuff really.

Some independant game awards sale whatever @ Steam.

I finally decided to get myself some:

Hyper Light Drifter

Inside

One night stand

I was eying Event[0] and Virginia, but decided to leave it at that. I have no idea why I bought them, with Zelda around the corner though. Guess I won't be bored the next few hours.

Played a bit of Hyper Light Drifter, liking it in general. I have some minor issues, but it's pretty good overall.

I hear things about the Switch pro controller working on PC, maybe I'll try to get a bluetooth receiver to try it out, see how it compares to my XBox one elite controller.

Anyone know how much it would cost me to build/buy a PC that would let me play Overwatch on my TV?

Silky smooth performance and all that.

Excluding the cost of a mouse and keyboard, I'll consider those separately.

Anyone know how much it would cost me to build/buy a PC that would let me play Overwatch on my TV?

Not hyper-expensive for Overwatch, which isn't too demanding. A recent i5 and a 1050ti or similar should keep you at 60fps+ on high settings. About £800 or thereabouts for a new system.

What resolution? A good mouse is a must. No controller support in the PC version.

It is a flawless 60 fps on the normal PS4 btw.

Almost any graphics card from the last five years will get you to 1080p60 at ultra settings. Pair it with a good 4 core Ryzen 5 CPU and you're not looking at more than £550 total including a PSU, Motherboard, 8GB storage, 8gb RAM and either a 1050Ti or a AMD 560 GPU.

If you want something that'll run everything pretty much perfectly at 1080p60 on ultra, maybe consider a modern i5 or a six core Ryzen 5 with an AMD 580. Should be about £120 more than what you're already looking at.

1080p.png

Near the bottom of that table is the 7870. A midrange GPU that I bought in Feb 2012. It runs Overwatch with everything maxed out at around 70fps.

Anyone thinking of getting the Humble Bundle for this month? Not too many games in it but the average donation is quite low, can pick up the whole bundle for around 10 pounds. I was considering it just to see what the GOATY version of Goat Simulator is .

Given that my laptop is coming up to three years old this Summer and I'm struggling to run some of the latest Steam releases above 720p / medium graphics settings, I'm looking at upgrading.

Does anyone have any good sites or advice for budget gaming or custom build PCs? I've done a bit of googling and there seems to be a hell of a lot of choice out there, I don't even know where to begin. I'd be looking at spending about £600 max (ideally less), and certain extras like Windows 10, a DVD / Blu-Ray drive etc. are surplus to requirements. I already have a couple of HDD and SDD drives spare, so can even skimp on them if necessary. If anyone can point me in a decent direction or even recommend some sites / stores they've used, I'm all ears.

I'd be looking to play Fallout 4 / Rocket League / Project Cars at 1080p60 as close to high settings as possible, not interested at all in 4K, so any set up doesn't have to be super future proof, I'd rather gradually upgrade, or go for a new build in another three years.

Cheers.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

It includes compatibility filters so when picking parts you won't get items that will conflict. They also have build guides and such all.

Ryzen 5 or a Corei5 coupled with a card like a AMD480 or Nvidia 1060 is a very capable 1080p PC. Plus motherboard case, a quality PSU(I'd say 500W don't skimp) and RAM.

Yep Pc part picker are great.

Ryzen is clearly the way to go on the CPU side. Amazing value for money.

Use a SSD for your main OS drive at the minimum.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

It includes compatibility filters so when picking parts you won't get items that will conflict. They also have build guides and such all.

Ryzen 5 or a Corei5 coupled with a card like a AMD480 or Nvidia 1060 is a very capable 1080p PC. Plus motherboard case, a quality PSU(I'd say 500W don't skimp) and RAM.

Yep Pc part picker are great.

Ryzen is clearly the way to go on the CPU side. Amazing value for money.

Use a SSD for your main OS drive at the minimum.

Cheers guys. Watched a few YouTube vids on budget gaming builds and a Ryzen 5 seems to be the way to go. Been messing around on part picker and it seems I can build a decent system for ~£500 minus an SDD and Windows. Surprised at how easy this all seems to be able to do at home. Simply a case of ordering the parts on-line and then assembling.

Ryzen 5 is a good CPU series but there are some issues with the motherboard socket and RAM controllers on the first generation boards, so make sure you read the reviews before you commit. There should be a good, viable upgrade path with the AM4 socket though in the coming years. I'm imagining the successors to the Ryzen line will work with it. i5 7500(K) is also a good option if you want to stick to the intel side, since they have slightly better single core performance.

If you already have an SSD then you're already covered for a large part of the expense. RX 580 or GTX 1060 (6GB) GPU will cover you nicely for 1080p60 at max settings on most games. You might want to wait for RX Vega release since it'll likely kick down the price of competing GPUs.

16GB 2800-3200mhz RAM should be the sweet spot for pretty much anything you'd want to do on a PC besides intensive video editing.

Don't bother with an optical drive. Any good brand 550+W PSU will cover your power needs, and you're good to go.

Edited by The Bard

Ryzen 5 is a good CPU series but there are some issues with the motherboard socket and RAM controllers on the first generation boards, so make sure you read the reviews before you commit. There should be a good, viable upgrade path with the AM4 socket though in the coming years. I'm imagining the successors to the Ryzen line will work with it. i5 7500(K) is also a good option if you want to stick to the intel side, since they have slightly better single core performance.

If you already have an SSD then you're already covered for a large part of the expense. RX 580 or GTX 1060 (6GB) GPU will cover you nicely for 1080p60 at max settings on most games. You might want to wait for RX Vega release since it'll likely kick down the price of competing GPUs.

16GB 2800-3200mhz RAM should be the sweet spot for pretty much anything you'd want to do on a PC besides intensive video editing.

Don't bother with an optical drive. Any good brand 550+W PSU will cover your power needs, and you're good to go.

I was thinking of going down the Ryzen 5 1600 and RX580 road as it seems to be a good option at a decent price. I've always had Intel with Nvidia systems, so it's completely new territory for me, but what I've read and heard about the Ryzen, it seems to be a good option.

Probably gonna pump for one of the Asus B350 boards as well as I've seen a number of decent reviews and it seems to be the go to board for YouTubers building this kind of system. RAM is a bigger expense than I'm prepared to go for at the minute though ~£120, was thinking of getting 8GB to start with and then adding another 8 once I've got it all up and running as the games I'm currently playing are all about two or three years old and it's probably the least critical 'extra' at the moment. Would love to get one of the glass tempered towers, that stuff looks so beautiful inside. Should probably get an Xbox One pad and a decent mouse as well if I'm spending this much on the machine. Any PC gamers got a suggestion?

• Like 1

A decent keyboard won't go amiss either. I've got a Sidewinder x4 from Microsoft but I don't think they make that anymore. Doesn't have to fancy and expensive to be good. Mouse wise I have a Razer....uhh deathadder I think?

Find a wired 360 pad. Plug and play ease of use. Xone pads are all wireless and if I remember correctly the USB power cord is literally only for power. Meaning getting the additional MS wireless adapter, AND the rechargeable battery pack for the controller lest you want to use disposables (or your own rechargeables).

I was thinking of going down the Ryzen 5 1600 and RX580 road as it seems to be a good option at a decent price. I've always had Intel with Nvidia systems, so it's completely new territory for me, but what I've read and heard about the Ryzen, it seems to be a good option.

Probably gonna pump for one of the Asus B350 boards as well as I've seen a number of decent reviews and it seems to be the go to board for YouTubers building this kind of system. RAM is a bigger expense than I'm prepared to go for at the minute though ~£120, was thinking of getting 8GB to start with and then adding another 8 once I've got it all up and running as the games I'm currently playing are all about two or three years old and it's probably the least critical 'extra' at the moment. Would love to get one of the glass tempered towers, that stuff looks so beautiful inside. Should probably get an Xbox One pad and a decent mouse as well if I'm spending this much on the machine. Any PC gamers got a suggestion?

I dunno about the regular XBone controller, but the elite one is wired.. So I'd expect the regular one to have a wired option as well?? Anyway, I haven't used it that much, but I consider it as good investment, it has served me well for those games where mouse+keyboard is not preferrable.

As for the mouse.. Yeah the tip I read years ago and I'm glad I did: just try out various mice if you can. The most important thing is that a mouse feels comfortable, and only you can tell.. Different mice have different grips, and therefore feel different. I've got an old Razer Copperhead, and I specifically chose that one because I could feel some mice out in the store. If not would have gone for a more luxurious one, but I found out I actually didn't like the feel of that one so chose the Copperhead instead. Nowadays though, I don't see those mice displayed at the store anymore, so I don't know how viable it is to try out a mouse before you buy.

Not really seeing much I want in this summer's steam sale. Maybe Thimbleweed Park but that's about it.

On 6/22/2017 at 3:01 PM, Happenstance said:

Not really seeing much I want in this summer's steam sale. Maybe Thimbleweed Park but that's about it.

Do you have Nier Automata yet? Slightly Garbage PC port without the FAR fix (change global illumination values to levels that run). 

6 hours ago, Nolan said:

Do you have Nier Automata yet? Slightly Garbage PC port without the FAR fix (change global illumination values to levels that run). 

No, it's on my list to get but with so many other games on my pile at the moment it would need to be a bigger discount before I get it.