NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Have to say I am glad there is more dialogue regarding pc gaming and what it is about, rather than 'pc master race' idiots shouting over everyone.

The pc master race idiots mainly focus on console ports. Which is not what pc gaming has ever been about (the sales also overwhelmingly prove this and no, barely beating the wiiu is not an achievement). The big pc games are nothing like console games with free to play and subscriptions as options being establised. Diveristy is huge. Mainly that pc gaming is often nothing like console games. It is a seperate platform much like mobile playing to its strengths. Games like League of Legends or World of Warcraft play to these strengths. In places where different platforms are discussed it would be nice to bring dicussion back to actual pc gaming.

I actually bought one of these yesterday:

pc-010019-03.jpg

It's the Myflash Wii U Pro Controller Adapter for PC :).

I've been annoyed for a while that I couldn't connect my Wii U Pro controller in an easy way to my PC, as I'm playing a few controller supported/reccomended games at the moment (Elite: Dangerous, Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes ect.). I find the Wii U Pro controller to be the best on the market, and as I'm used to having my thumbs at the Wii U locations, anything different just feels wrong (I'm looking at you, stupid asymmetrical xbox sticks!).

This Bluetooth adapter actually does two things. You can sync the Wii U Pro controller as a regular joypad, or you can use an emulator to trick the computer into thinking it actually is an xbox-controller. This is great, as it then is instantly recognised by Windows and automatically works in every game with default settings. The Home-button even become the Steam Big Picture-button, or Games-for-Windows-Live -button! I still havet recieved it (ordered it for £13 on ebay from hong-kong. Free Shipping :D), and I'll post some updates as I get it going.

I'm currently playing Elite: Dangerous with a PS3 controller (which I don't really like), and I can't wait to swap it out with my Wii U Pro Controller :D. Gonna be flyin them spaceships in style ;D.

Edited by ArtMediocre

Wha!?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994883

TALES ON PC!? HELL YES!!!

So what 3rd party game series isn't bound for PC now? Anything I care about? (Can't think of anything outside of the Miku: Project Diva games... Now if we could get all the future Miku games released on PC, I'd be all set! :yay: )

Who needs a PS4/Xbone when you've got a halfway decent PC!

Finally. Here's hoping the port is decent.

Namco's recent PC ports have all been great, so I have high hopes for this one!

Does anyone want a Steamworld dig 50% discount Steam coupon? ""Valid until 2/22/2015 11:41:45 PM", I assume CET.

SSI gold box game developers are making are making a new game called Seven Dragon Saga. Isn't it exciting?? and they are now on kickstarter.

...Kind of tempted to blow all my pay this month and buy/build a new PC

Do it man. I love my self built PC.

Although I am thinking about upgrading my R9 270X to a GTX 970. But might wait a month or so until Radeon launch the inevitable 300 series.

Do it man. I love my self built PC.

Although I am thinking about upgrading my R9 270X to a GTX 970. But might wait a month or so until Radeon launch the inevitable 300 series.

The 970 is a great performing card, and the memory issue isn't really a big deal, but the one thing you should be aware of is that they tend to be very prone to coil whine. Mine being no exception.

In anticipation of The Witcher 3, and I also want to run GTA5 over 60fps at Ultra, I have ordered.....

msi-gtx-970-gaming-4gb-png.3629

With my lack of interest in console games at the minute, Iv found myself looking at my old MMO haunts. Since my 30th is coming up Iv decided to treat myself in the next month or 2 to a new gaming PC. Iv looked online and really can't tell the difference between the new i5's and new i7's.

The last gaming PC I had was 7 years ago ish, it was a 1st (I think) gen i7. I can build it myself if air cooled, if water cooled it would need to be done for me....

I have a budget of £1000, what can I get?!

It's been about five years since I've done a full build but I'm pretty much in a '

' where I've changed every component since then so it's not really the same PC.

I'm really of the opinion that these days you don't need to go water cooled unless you're pushing some serious voltage through the CPU. Basic overclocking should be fine air cooled. Though I recommend changing the stock fan for one of the Cooler Master Hyper Series fans.

A lot of people will recommend an i5 over an i7 because they're so much cheaper but, if you have the cash, I would go for an i7 (i7-4790) because it'll handle whatever you throw at it for a good few years to come.

In terms of graphics card, I'm using a NVIDIA GTX 970. Relatively power efficient for when you're posting on n-europe but is still a killer when it comes to playing games.

As for RAM I would say getting 16GB would be the least to buy these days. More is always better. You'd look to be paying about £100-£120 for 1600 DDR3 at a CL 9 or 10. There is faster RAM but you have to make sure your motherboard supports it.

Now assuming you just want one graphics card, I would probably suggest a motherboard such as GA-H97-HD3. That'd cost you about £80. Has 4 RAM slots for up to 32GB RAM, a single PCI-E 3.0 x16 (as well as a full length x1 socket which could be used for a PhysX card), 6 SATA connections, 4 rear USB 3 connections.

Next up is the PSU, you probably already know but don't go cheap on this. It's up to you if you go for a modular PSU or not. I don't personally use them because I end up using all the cables anyway. You'll probably be looking to spend about £70-80 on this. I like the Corsair brand but I've heard they're mostly rebrands of Seasonic, so it might be cheaper to look at them instead.

Buy a SSD to use as a boot drive. Currently I have an SSD for a boot drive, a secondary small SSD drive to install games (usually just one!) onto to speed up loading and a HDD for rest of my programs. Any SSD will be an improvement over a HDD. A basic Kingston 128GB SATA3 SSD will cost about £45 and work perfectly as a boot drive. A bit more flashy (SSD-pun!) OCZ 120GB SATA3 SSD will cost about ~£75. As for your 'other' drive a 2TB WD Blue will cost you about ~£45.

Windows 8.1 is currently £80 on Amazon. And everyone will get an update to Windows 10 when it is released, so it's not a worry that you're buying into the OS late.

Cases are really down to personal choice but I recommend getting one as big as you can so it's not fiddly to install everything into.

I don't think I've forgotten anything...

CPU Fan: ~£20

CPU: ~£240

Graphics Card: ~£290

RAM: ~£120

Motherboard: ~£80

PSU: ~£75

SSD: ~£45

HDD: ~£45

Windows 8.1: £80

Total: £995.

Just under your budget but doesn't include a case or monitor. Remember all the prices I've quoted are approximate so you could probably get it down a bit more by looking around. Can cut the cost down further by buying a basic version of the NVIDIA GTX 970 with a reference cooler, it'll be noisier but it's the same chipset at the end of the day. There's probably some movement to be had in the RAM price too. Could always buy it without heatsinks but DDR3 does get very warm, so make sure it at least has a heat spreader. If you want to start cutting performance to save money the first thing would probably to go from an i7 to an i5. For games there's not going to be a huuuge difference at the minute and with the console CPUs being relatively weak I can't see that changing any time soon. Could probably get a 1TB HDD instead of 2TB, but try to not get an 'eco' drive such as the WD Green.

Hope that helps!

It's been about five years since I've done a full build but I'm pretty much in a '
' where I've changed every component since then so it's not really the same PC.

I'm really of the opinion that these days you don't need to go water cooled unless you're pushing some serious voltage through the CPU. Basic overclocking should be fine air cooled. Though I recommend changing the stock fan for one of the Cooler Master Hyper Series fans.

A lot of people will recommend an i5 over an i7 because they're so much cheaper but, if you have the cash, I would go for an i7 (i7-4790) because it'll handle whatever you throw at it for a good few years to come.

In terms of graphics card, I'm using a NVIDIA GTX 970. Relatively power efficient for when you're posting on n-europe but is still a killer when it comes to playing games.

As for RAM I would say getting 16GB would be the least to buy these days. More is always better. You'd look to be paying about £100-£120 for 1600 DDR3 at a CL 9 or 10. There is faster RAM but you have to make sure your motherboard supports it.

Now assuming you just want one graphics card, I would probably suggest a motherboard such as GA-H97-HD3. That'd cost you about £80. Has 4 RAM slots for up to 32GB RAM, a single PCI-E 3.0 x16 (as well as a full length x1 socket which could be used for a PhysX card), 6 SATA connections, 4 rear USB 3 connections.

Next up is the PSU, you probably already know but don't go cheap on this. It's up to you if you go for a modular PSU or not. I don't personally use them because I end up using all the cables anyway. You'll probably be looking to spend about £70-80 on this. I like the Corsair brand but I've heard they're mostly rebrands of Seasonic, so it might be cheaper to look at them instead.

Buy a SSD to use as a boot drive. Currently I have an SSD for a boot drive, a secondary small SSD drive to install games (usually just one!) onto to speed up loading and a HDD for rest of my programs. Any SSD will be an improvement over a HDD. A basic Kingston 128GB SATA3 SSD will cost about £45 and work perfectly as a boot drive. A bit more flashy (SSD-pun!) OCZ 120GB SATA3 SSD will cost about ~£75. As for your 'other' drive a 2TB WD Blue will cost you about ~£45.

Windows 8.1 is currently £80 on Amazon. And everyone will get an update to Windows 10 when it is released, so it's not a worry that you're buying into the OS late.

Cases are really down to personal choice but I recommend getting one as big as you can so it's not fiddly to install everything into.

I don't think I've forgotten anything...

CPU Fan: ~£20

CPU: ~£240

Graphics Card: ~£290

RAM: ~£120

Motherboard: ~£80

PSU: ~£75

SSD: ~£45

HDD: ~£45

Windows 8.1: £80

Total: £995.

Just under your budget but doesn't include a case or monitor. Remember all the prices I've quoted are approximate so you could probably get it down a bit more by looking around. Can cut the cost down further by buying a basic version of the NVIDIA GTX 970 with a reference cooler, it'll be noisier but it's the same chipset at the end of the day. There's probably some movement to be had in the RAM price too. Could always buy it without heatsinks but DDR3 does get very warm, so make sure it at least has a heat spreader. If you want to start cutting performance to save money the first thing would probably to go from an i7 to an i5. For games there's not going to be a huuuge difference at the minute and with the console CPUs being relatively weak I can't see that changing any time soon. Could probably get a 1TB HDD instead of 2TB, but try to not get an 'eco' drive such as the WD Green.

Hope that helps!

Sounds cool thanks for the cost cutting tips, I'm more and more considering a new proper PC. Loving the reference to the trigger situation I just shared that on Facebook the other day.

Steam has started a new program that allows mod authors to sell mods through the Steam Workshop rather than just giving them away for free.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365237576574

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent

A few key points:

• Mod authors can choose between free, paid, and pay what you want for their mod.
  • Users can 'return' a mod for a full refund within 24 hours.
  • The developer of a game must opt-in to allowing paid mods to be posted for their game.
  • Mod authors receive 25% of the revenue generated from the sale of a mod.
  • Skyrim is currently the only game that supports paid Workshop content.
  • A lot of comunis-- err...people are really pissed off about this.

Personally, I'm all for this. In the past, I've developed mods for Minecraft, which couldn't really be monetized in a significant way, which really put me off continuing development of the mods after a certain point. Good mods often take a lot of time to develop, and actually making money for the effort you put into creating a mod will likely lead to an increase in mod quality. It could also attract more talented individuals into mod development who previously couldn't justify spending the time on it.

Edited by Emasher

Steam has started a new program that allows mod authors to sell mods through the Steam Workshop rather than just giving them away for free.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365237576574

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent

A few key points:

• Mod authors can choose between free, paid, and pay what you want for their mod.
  • Users can 'return' a mod for a full refund within 24 hours.
  • The developer of a game must opt-in to allowing paid mods to be posted for their game.
  • Mod authors receive 25% of the revenue generated from the sale of a mod.
  • Skyrim is currently the only game that supports paid Workshop content.
  • A lot of comunis-- err...people are really pissed off about this.

Personally, I'm all for this. In the past, I've developed mods for Minecraft, which couldn't really be monetized in a significant way, which really put me off continuing development of the mods after a certain point. Good mods often take a lot of time to develop, and actually making money for the effort you put into creating a mod will likely lead to an increase in mod quality. It could also attract more talented individuals into mod development who previously couldn't justify spending the time on it.

In theory it's great but I kind of feel like stories like this are being to common place;

A paid-for Skyrim mod has already been removed from sale on Steam Workshop.

It was Chesko's Fishing Mod. A picture from it - a burly nord man with a fishing rod - was front and centre of the Steam Workshop paid-for mods launch yesterday.

The mod used someone else's character-idle animations without prior consent. When a community member enquired on the Fishing Mod comments section whether Chesko had permission, the creator of the idle animations mod - Fore - stepped in.

"No, he has not. And making money with mods is totally against my attitude," wrote Fore - screenshots of the conversation posted on Destructoid. "It's the end of a working and inventive modding community."

Chesko then replied, saying he had been prevented asking permission by a non-disclosure agreement. "I would like to make it clear that I have been under a non-disclosure agreement for over a month, and was unable (not unwilling) to contact others. I asked Valve specifically about content that requires other content, and was told that if the download was separate and free, it was fair game."

Chesko said Fore's animations were not vital and the Fishing Mod worked without, but then ceded to Fore's wishes and refunded all buyers of the mod.

Allowing modders to make money from their work is a bold step by Valve - and the publishers allowing it for their games. It's an idea that will take some getting used to and there's negative immediate reaction swirling around. There's even a Change.org petition to remove the paid mods from Steam Workshop that has reached more than 19,000 signatures. Naturally, there will be teething issues.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-24-a-paid-skyrim-steam-workshop-mod-has-already-been-pulled

The thing is as well with this in it's infancy it's been relatively easy to notice who is going to police this when the mod market becomes as bloated as Steam is?!

I cant see it working properly anyway. Mods are usual so delicate and constantly having problems, especially when combined with other mods that people will be pissed everytime something goes wrong if they have paid.

Either way though, messing with mods for me was just a bit of fun when I was finished with a base game. Theres no way I am paying for them.

I cant see it working properly anyway. Mods are usual so delicate and constantly having problems, especially when combined with other mods that people will be pissed everytime something goes wrong if they have paid.

Either way though, messing with mods for me was just a bit of fun when I was finished with a base game. Theres no way I am paying for them.

yeah that's true actually...there's two sides to it actually. People will have certain expectations for mods they've paid for. Also thrusting these kind of mods into the limelight may now mean that more casual buyers might not realize they aren't buying an official mod and that causes its own slew of issues.

I'm also with you on the use of mods..mods just aren't something i would spend $$$$$$$s on.

Ended up buying a budget ready made PC, not spectacular but enough for what i need right now. I5, 8GB DDR3, decent case, 2TB HDD, GTX 750. It will do for now and is better than my old I7 920.

Hi guys, does anyone know a decent fan software controller other than speedfan? I cant for the life of me remember my old one :/

I'd be interested to know as well...speedfan doesn't seem to anything for me!