NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Cheers. I dabble in and out of them...played Old Republic for a bit and got bored. I tell ya one thing and I know this is dumb but I really would prefer controller support in some of them, never been a fan of the typical MMO type of controls....For example I have been enjoying The Witcher less as a result.

That's because you're coming from console gaming. I used to be exactly the same. Now M/KB is my go to control method for games not called Dark Souls.

I think Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has controller support on PC. (It obviously does on PS4)

I think Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has controller support on PC. (It obviously does on PS4)

FFXIV is arguably one of the few (only?) MMORPGs that has been properly optimised to work with controller, such that the advantage gap is bridged between mouse and controller. I heartily recommend it!

I tend to go back and forth on which controls I prefer. At the moment its controllers because I'm in a leaning back phase while playing games so dont want to sit up straight to use the keyboard and mouse lol

Definitely need keyboard and mouse for MMOs though. I used to play DC Universe Online on the PS3 and theres just too many things you need to be able to do and using a controller just makes it all slower.

You still need a keyboard to type to people, but the controller works really well for FFXIV. Shortcuts are handled by holding L2 or R2 followed by pressing the corresponding buttons. I really hate using a mouse because I game on the couch.

That's because you're coming from console gaming. I used to be exactly the same. Now M/KB is my go to control method for games not called Dark Souls.

Whilst that would seem the case it is in fact not strictly true...I had an amiga for years and whilst we did have a controller a lot of games were still keyboard and mouse. I also played a lot more PC games during the N64/Playstation era to supplement the N64. It's just not something I've enjoyed ever really....The only game I ever enjoyed it with was Amnesia Dark Descent because my lack of prowess led to clumsiness/taking it slow that benefited the game. I guess Defiance uses controller...makes me wonder if any of their other MMOs do.

DC Universe must have controller support?

I ended up getting the free starter edition for WoW. Figured I'll play that until I get to level 20 and see then if I'm still enjoying it. Decided on a human warlock as I always did like the human start location and last time I played was before the Cataclysm dlc so I do get to see the changes at least.

The changes look good, but I'm not sure I'll ever be swayed after playing Guild Wars 2 so extensively. Shame as I miss the atmosphere on WoW (Through guild chat)

The changes look good, but I'm not sure I'll ever be swayed after playing Guild Wars 2 so extensively. Shame as I miss the atmosphere on WoW (Through guild chat)

I should really try GW2. I played a bit of the free trial for one and thought it seemed ok, just lacking a bit of character.

I should really try GW2. I played a bit of the free trial for one and thought it seemed ok, just lacking a bit of character.

I really like the story you can play for that. :)

Anybody recomend some good games on Steam or Origin for around £40 or so? only recently bought a PC able to run pretty much everything at ultra settings....any suggestions?

Anybody recomend some good games on Steam or Origin for around £40 or so? only recently bought a PC able to run pretty much everything at ultra settings....any suggestions?

Depends what sort of games you like. There is a lot of games you could get for £40, several indies or a couple of AAA.

You probably already have them but Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2 are both extremely good games, and free.

If you enjoy RPG's, Divinity: Original Sin and Dark Souls 2 are very good.

Edited by MATtheHAT

Up to level 16 in WoW. Wont be long now before I have to decide if I upgrade up to the full version of the game and start paying or maybe get myself a copy of GW2 and play that instead.

Up to level 16 in WoW. Wont be long now before I have to decide if I upgrade up to the full version of the game and start paying or maybe get myself a copy of GW2 and play that instead.

Or FFXIV. You can pick up the game first month for less than four quid for PS3/PS4. :p Plus I play...

GW2 was fun (maxed ranger) but this game is much more fleshed out and has better production values.

Or FFXIV. You can pick up the game first month for less than four quid for PS3/PS4. :p Plus I play...

Can you finish the game in that month and also do extra stuff? Let's say, if you play a maximum of 10 hours per week?

Can you finish the game in that month and also do extra stuff? Let's say, if you play a maximum of 10 hours per week?

In precisely 30 days I finished the 'main' questline. I say main, it carries on going after you defeat the main boss as more content has been added.

At 10 hours a week you can get pretty far, probably not that far though. But it is very good for an MMORPG. The main problem I had with GW2 was that it was a very single player oriented experience (most exp coming from solo heartquests and the like). FFXIV has a lot of solo stuff but lots of multiplayer dungeons you need to do (and to get loot) along with cool bosses that stop the game from getting boring. Much better animated cutscenes too, pretty good production values.

At 10 hours a week you can get pretty far, probably not that far though. But it is very good for an MMORPG.

Problem is: Whenever I pay a subscription I kinda feel obligated to play so I don't socialize that much :p

How much for a month? And can you just suspend the subscription any time and continue whenever you like (preferably with some kind of a 30 day code you can buy)?

Yeah you can suspend if. Think it might be 7 quid, not sure as I haven't paid yet (collectors and regular edition trial codes stack and they were each cheaper than 1 month subscriptions so I bought the game again).

I really like some of the updates they've added. Now you can buy your own room within your guildhouse and decorate it, as well as keep and train your chocobo in the house's stables to boost its exp.

I love the FF themed decorations in the houses:

F1L3GHW.png

Oh and the Gold Saucer is coming to the game too. :p

Edited by Sheikah

Sounds good. Maybe when my exams are over in October I'll give it a try.

But that's the month when shits going down on the PS4 so...meh. :D

I hovered over the resub button on FFXIV ARR today. I quite like the idea of playing on PC, then switching over to the PS4 couch play using the same character. Although it means buying a second copy for the PS4 so going to do that.

I hovered over the resub button on FFXIV ARR today. I quite like the idea of playing on PC, then switching over to the PS4 couch play using the same character. Although it means buying a second copy for the PS4 so going to do that.

You know you can buy a PS3 copy of the game for like 3-4 quid and upgrade for free right?

Is there enough to do to justify £19.00 for someone who hasn't ever played an MMO? Like, other than loot grinds and fetch quests?

You know you can buy a PS3 copy of the game for like 3-4 quid and upgrade for free right?

Yep, and like you said, the 30 days you get with it is cheaper than subbing. :)

Is there enough to do to justify £19.00 for someone who hasn't ever played an MMO? Like, other than loot grinds and fetch quests?

As crazy as it sounds, FFXIV crafting. It's like a giant mini game. My character fishes for example and for that profession you need to find the relevant fising hole, then find the right bait to tempt the fishes in that hole. When you catch something, you can keep it, or use that fish as bait to get bigger more rare catches. It's really satisfying leveling up the class, gaining more abilities and gaining access to desert and skyfishing which is just like it sounds.

All the crafting profession play like mini games and differ slightly and even have different gear sets to improve your crafting quality. They can be done anywhere and you can make a lot of money from them, or become nigh on self sufficient.

Then add the fact that there are mini games which I haven't seen yet, sidequests like treasure hunting quests, finding special points with nice views, beast hunting sidequests and the typical achievements and challenges(those last four have logs to track your progress) and you can see there is a lot to do in the game.

It's why I say FFXIV is really polished as it has a lot of features I would moan that other mmo's don't have.

For me, if im going to pay a monthly fee then its going to be for WoW but thats the reason I was thinking about GW2, because I'm not sure I am willing to pay a subscription fee again. If I was then FFXIV would probably be right up there.

As crazy as it sounds, FFXIV crafting. It's like a giant mini game. My character fishes for example and for that profession you need to find the relevant fising hole, then find the right bait to tempt the fishes in that hole. When you catch something, you can keep it, or use that fish as bait to get bigger more rare catches. It's really satisfying leveling up the class, gaining more abilities and gaining access to desert and skyfishing which is just like it sounds.

All the crafting profession play like mini games and differ slightly and even have different gear sets to improve your crafting quality. They can be done anywhere and you can make a lot of money from them, or become nigh on self sufficient.

Then add the fact that there are mini games which I haven't seen yet, sidequests like treasure hunting quests, finding special points with nice views, beast hunting sidequests and the typical achievements and challenges(those last four have logs to track your progress) and you can see there is a lot to do in the game.

It's why I say FFXIV is really polished as it has a lot of features I would moan that other mmo's don't have.

Yeah, I feel like there's still loads to do even though I hit L50 with my monk. In GW2 I basically maxed my ranger and got 100% world completion then felt like there was nothing to do (except the most incredible gold grind for a the best weapon). The WvWvW seemed cool at first but you come to realise what a tiny cog in the machine you are, almost like Saving Private Ryan.

Getting better equipment is really cleverly done in XIV, you could do maybe just a couple of dungeons and be able to afford a new piece of high level armour. It always feels like you're within reach of the next cool thing.