NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Don't think it really matters about how you connect up the gpu with the PSU. Think some of the cables you get are specifically for gfx cards of that type.

As for the screen, again I am not sure it matters but generally I would connect it to the motherboard and make the switch later when fully set-up.

You may need to adjust your screen settings again afterwards.

Yeah I would imagine I would need to use the Integrated graphics until I download the GPU drivers?

This is the same type of cable I have run at the moment:

NZXT-HALE82-V2-700W-26.jpg

Like this one, mine has two connectors on one cable daisy chain, I am thinking that it doesn't really matter if I use both connectors on the GPU, as it would still come off the same PSU internal rail as if I had run two separate cables.

Yeah I would imagine I would need to use the Integrated graphics until I download the GPU drivers?

This is the same type of cable I have run at the moment:

NZXT-HALE82-V2-700W-26.jpg

Like this one, mine has two connectors on one cable daisy chain, I am thinking that it doesn't really matter if I use both connectors on the GPU, as it would still come off the same PSU internal rail as if I had run two separate cables.

Once windows is installed, you can switch to your gpu then as windows should recognise and install the necessary drivers just to get your card working.

And the cable looks like it was designed exactly for your card. PCI-E or PCI-Express is primarily used by graphics cards and the top end cards like yours require a fair amount of power.

Now the film festival is over, I can finally check up on other stuff.. Starting up Steam I see some interesting things:

Deus Ex: human revolution director´s cut is the daily deal (€ 5,-). Get it if you don´t already own it.

I see a free point & click adventure called Serena. I have no idea if it´s any good (haven´t heard of the title before now), but it´s free and only 300+ MB, so it can´t hurt to try.

And a new free-to-play game which looks incredibly fun, which I´d be downloading if it weren´t for the 3rd person perspective (I simply can´t play 3PS shooters): Loadout.

Also, I´m completely broke, otherwise I´d buy Strike Vector. I´m pretty sure I already mentioned it somewhere on this forum (perhaps this very thread). An arcady flight combat shooter thingy.

I'm amazed I've actually done this without much grief, the trickiest part was identifying the headers for the small connections, and getting the Windows ISO file loaded without a DVD drive.

I would highly recommend anyone considering a new PC to build there own.

Loving the colour scheme.

100_1645_zps981b4f62.jpg

All in place with covers on.

100_1646_zpsc8932338.jpg

I'll load up some games and perhaps do some benchmarking tomorrow.

I'm amazed I've actually done this without much grief, the trickiest part was identifying the headers for the small connections, and getting the Windows ISO file loaded without a DVD drive.

I would highly recommend anyone considering a new PC to build there own.

I'll load up some games and perhaps do some benchmarking tomorrow.

Congrats man. That truly looks awesome.

It's definitely something I've considered in the past. One day, maybe, when I have time and money to burn (possibly literally).

What was the total cost?

Edited by gaggle64

I'm late to it, but consider for a moment some motherboards don't have integrated graphics. So even from a fresh build hooking up to the GPU is fine. (Truly no difference, both types need drivers beyond the limited scope of windows)

And yes, hooking the power off of the same lead should be fine. I've rarely seen a cable like that, but as long as the 12V rail has enough amperage it should be fine if my understanding is correct. Typically though it seems that each 6 or 6+2 pin plug gets its own lead. If you've got one to spare I'd suggest that to be sure the GPU doesn't end up underpowered by the PSU

I am PC-less D:

My modular PSU started making strange noises, dug up the invoice and found that it was 4½ years into its 5 year warranty so shipped it off to the Netherlands.

Opening it up to inspect all the bits and pieces and figure out where the noise was coming from is giving me the bug of PC upgrading :p I recently built all our work PCs with i5s, water cooling and SSDs and they're so fast. Definitely giving my ol' i7 920 a run for its money.

It's definitely something I've considered in the past. One day, maybe, when I have time and money to burn (possibly literally).

What was the total cost?

About £600 not including monitor or peripherals. Although a similar specced PC could be built for less. I just went with some premium quality parts, and also mini ITX stuff generally is a little more expensive.

I'm late to it, but consider for a moment some motherboards don't have integrated graphics. So even from a fresh build hooking up to the GPU is fine. (Truly no difference, both types need drivers beyond the limited scope of windows)

And yes, hooking the power off of the same lead should be fine. I've rarely seen a cable like that, but as long as the 12V rail has enough amperage it should be fine if my understanding is correct. Typically though it seems that each 6 or 6+2 pin plug gets its own lead. If you've got one to spare I'd suggest that to be sure the GPU doesn't end up underpowered by the PSU

That makes sense about the graphics, and I did connect the monitor to the card via HDMI and it worked fine.

The power cable to the GPU also works fine, although I am a little worried about the current through one cable causing heat. I may run another cable, but for the time being I'll just monitor temps.

After gaming on laptop for so long, this feels so good..........

Srim_zpsabb73fd4.jpg

About £600 not including monitor or peripherals. Although a similar specced PC could be built for less. I just went with some premium quality parts, and also mini ITX stuff generally is a little more expensive.

That makes sense about the graphics, and I did connect the monitor to the card via HDMI and it worked fine.

The power cable to the GPU also works fine, although I am a little worried about the current through one cable causing heat. I may run another cable, but for the time being I'll just monitor temps.

After gaming on laptop for so long, this feels so good..........

Srim_zpsabb73fd4.jpg

Pfffft go for broke. Put some high quality texture mods in there, get some proper post-process effects going too and see how skyrim can really sing. Your machine can run that game and so much more.

Pfffft go for broke. Put some high quality texture mods in there, get some proper post-process effects going too and see how skyrim can really sing. Your machine can run that game and so much more.

Yeah I will install high quality texture mods to games that support them, Skyrim and Sleeping Dogs spring to mind. I'm like a kid in sweet shop at the moment.

9cb7bed9f362e4208fce9bba5a91921559eb25e715bba96973b2d0a525927fda.jpg

Opening it up to inspect all the bits and pieces and figure out where the noise was coming from is giving me the bug of PC upgrading :p I recently built all our work PCs with i5s, water cooling and SSDs and they're so fast. Definitely giving my ol' i7 920 a run for its money.

I can't tell you how much I want an SSD for my PC. It seems like such a worthwhile upgrade.

funny-soon-meme-turtle-tortoise.jpg

I hear those hybrid drives are a pretty good investment right now.

Edited by gaggle64

Yeah same here also changed from gaming laptop to gaming PC, its just so awsome :D But I think for games like skyrim you dont need to have the post-effect mods stuff, I mean the game is beautiful because of the scenerie/design and not the amount of grass on the ground imo...

Yeah same here also changed from gaming laptop to gaming PC, its just so awsome :D But I think for games like skyrim you dont need to have the post-effect mods stuff, I mean the game is beautiful because of the scenerie/design and not the amount of grass on the ground imo...

Some of the mods really do make the game look that more special, but some stuff we add just because we can :hmm:

But when I said post-effects, I was referring to ENB really, had just forgotten the specific name. A real resource hog but for good reason:

I can't tell you how much I want an SSD for my PC. It seems like such a worthwhile upgrade.

funny-soon-meme-turtle-tortoise.jpg

Do it and never look back.

I have some Steam Gifts for the upcoming MOBA (ZOMBA?) Dead Island: Epidemic.

Add me on Steam or let me know and I'll gift a copy to whoever wants one.

I don't understand why critics made such a fuss over Gone Home. The moment I realised the game might not be as good as everyone was making out was when I stumbled across a book called 'How to Make Friends', with a note from a father to his daughter reading 'this might help.' Oh, could this allude to a broken family perhaps? How subtle!

I don't understand why critics made such a fuss over Gone Home. The moment I realised the game might not be as good as everyone was making out was when I stumbled across a book called 'How to Make Friends', with a note from a father to his daughter reading 'this might help.' Oh, could this allude to a broken family perhaps? How subtle!

Critics made a fuss over it for several reasons, mostly the fact that it was a fairly good, successful exercise in environmental, non-linear in feel, yet still directed storytelling, that dealt with the sort of completely mundane, day to day human issues that videogames are notoriously terrible at presenting in an engaging way. It leveraged the unique attributes of the medium to tell the story - and environment that you approach in a non linear way - to tell the sort of story that other videogames would feel forced to render in prose, presented through a series of ancillary, anomalous collectables (diary pages in Alan Wake? etc.). As a technical exercise, it was great. It was like the game equivalent of a prose short story; limited in scope, dealing in largely unremarkable events, but focused in a way that most games can't manage when it comes to storytelling.

It might not be Nobokov, but it was still believable - the "How To Make Friends," thing you just referenced completely falls in line with the nerdy, bookish way the father is presented; like as if he learned how to be a dad from a textbook.

Anyone on here play Dota and wanna give a noob some help in a playthrough?!

This is pretty late, but sure. More N-E people need to play Dota!