NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Essentially this means that with double-buffered VSync, the framerate can only be equal to a discrete set of values equal to Refresh / N where N is some positive integer. That means if you're talking about 60Hz refresh rate, the only framerates you can get are 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, 10, etc etc. You can see the big gap between 60 and 30 there. Any framerate between 60 and 30 your video card would normally put out would get dropped to 30.

Now maybe you can see why people loathe it. Let's go back to the original example. You're playing your favorite game at 75Hz refresh and 100FPS. You turn VSync on, and the game limits you to 60FPS. No problem, right? Fixed the tearing issue, it looks better. You get to an area that's particularly graphically intensive, an area that would drop your FPS down to about 50 without VSync. Now your card cannot do the 60FPS it was doing before, and since VSync is on, it has to do the next highest one on the list, which is 30FPS. So now your game which was running at 75FPS just halved it's framerate to 30 instantly. Whether or not you find 30FPS smooth doesn't change the fact that the framerate just cut in half suddenly, which you would notice. This is what people hate about it.

I guess it's off by default on higher settings because those are the settings most likely to pull a framerate under 60fps.

Indeed it is.

Commence people complaining about a noob swarm.

Bullshit man, its like a dream come true for achievement harvesting schemes, just get a server full of noobs and watch the fucking headshots pile. Geniose.

Steam summer sale has just started. I am looking at Borderland (GotY ed.), but I don’t think I’ll be buying at the moment. Still, if something good comes along..

Borderlands is incredible. I pumped 60+ hours into that game, and I haven't even played it co-op yet.

Only day 1 of the Steam sale and already there's a deal I just can't refuse - The Witcher 2. :grin:

I also grabbed the Dawn of War II achievement for my first prize booth ticket. There are a couple of prizes there I wouldn't mind getting.

Borderlands isn't a single player game.

True, but back when I got it, the PC online multiplayer was so borked. They fixed it now though, so if anyone fancies shootin some shit, hook me uuuup.

Sure thang man, or we could run through the second playthrough with our beefed up characters. Although, I've been meaning to try out the siren and berzerker characters, so new characters is just as good =D

Oh yeah Phee, dya have the Mad Moxxi DLC by any chance? Been meaning to finish that, but its fucking impossible single playeer.

Yup. I got all of the expansions and the game for £7.50 off Steam a couple of months back.

I bought Borderlands at launch but sold it after a while and I no longer have my saves so a new character is needed sadly. My current one might have an hour or two of game time tops.

Today’s Steam Summer sale deals include Braid for € 2,24, I think I’m getting that one.

(Although.. Have to hurry, it only last for 1,5 more hours before the next day starts)

Man, I've already picked up Oblivion GOTY edition, just so I could play Shivering Isles etc, and Just Cause 2, which I heard wasn't even that special, but at £3.29 for a game that came out last year, you can't fucking resist!

Just Cause 2 is ace. Gets boring after a while, but it's fun to just blow shit up :)

Flying is the real enjoyable part of Just Cause 2. Nothing else really stands out that much. The controls are also unresponsive on foot. I'd still recommend it for that price though.

As much as I love the Steam sales, it's a bit shit how the servers are too busy to allow installation of the fucking games you've purchased.

They're not bad in North America right now, I've been getting about 2GB/hour downloading Assassin's Creed Brotherhood this afternoon.

Edit: Shortly after posting it dropped to 500MB/hour.

Edited by Emasher

Jesus, today's Steam sale haul is fucking ridiculous. Gonna get me Bully, Doom 3, New Vegas and Trine.

You can say that again. I might re-buy New Vegas as I never did finish it on the PS3. I assume the PC version has been debugged at this point?

It's an Obsidian game; debugging it is like a blind man feeling his way across a minefield.

Surely at this point they've got it as bug free as the PS3 version was on day 1 though?

It's been patched, at least.

The only major problem I had with New Vegas when it was released was that it crashed fairly often, so the game may work fine for you even without any patches.

Well, as fine as a Bethesda/Obsidian game ever will, anyway.