NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

In Daft defense, there was a now canceled Company of Heroes MMO. Apparently it had a pretty good reception in the Beta, but it still got the axe. Probably not an easy task though, making a RTSMMO.

You know, I really hate this thread. Everytime its posted in its just a reminder that I cant afford a new PC yet so I can join you all in glorious PC gaming!

If anyone's interested you can currently buy Civ V for £12.48. They simply send you a Steam activation code, which is somewhat ironic given the game is also on sale using that service but for £5 more.

Civ IV Complete is also on sale at the moment on steam, I think there was someone here considering buying it about a week ago.

Midweek Madness on Steam is starting again. Half Life 2 Episode 2 for 1,74€.

Sweeeeet. Just picked it up. Been ages since I've played it and I was hoping for a price drop.

Ubisoft have AC, R6V2, Far Cry 2 and Call of J all for £10. I wouldn't mind playing AC again and giving FC2 a go but what's the DRM like? I always hear it's awful but is the Steam version the same?

Over on the right under Game Details they list additional DRM.

FC2 has SecuROM with a 5 Activation limit, nothing is listed for the others.

Ubisofts newer games are worse off though with their always connected to the internet scheme, though I think they've turned that into a verification.

Ah, sweet. Didn't realise it listed the DRM. Cheers for that!

Mafia II is on sale on Steam right now.

$7.50 for the standard edition and $10.00 for the digital deluxe edition.

Just bought the standard. UK pricing is £5 and £10. The Deluxe edition doesn't give you much more;

Made Man Pack: Free access to in-game downloadable pack that lets players get behind the wheel of two different luxury automobiles modeled after classic cars from the period. In addition, Vito will look the part with two new “made man†suits, including a vintage tux.

Digital Art Book: Get to know the families of Empire Bay with a photo album-style Digital art book that takes fans through the artistic design process of the game.

Orchestral Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in Empire Bay’s symphonic masterpiece with the Mafia II score recorded by the Prague FILMHarmonic Orchestra.

Digital Map of Empire Bay: Get familiar with the neighborhoods and own the streets with the Digital map depicting the 10 square miles of Empire Bay and all the hangout spots.

Doesn't seem worth an extra fiver to me...

Edited by McPhee
Automerged Doublepost

Isn't Mafia II meant to be duff?

Duff? I've no clue what that means.

As far as what I've heard Mafia II is pretty good.

I've heard that Mafia II is supposed to be average at best, so that's probably what Daft meant?

But I like that his post could mean anything we want.

I can see why people would consider it to be average from what I've played so far. Its no GTA IV, although, my first impressions are that its better than average.

And at this price, why not?

Duff? I've no clue what that means.

I'll be less British in future.

3) duff adj

Definition of DUFF

British

: inferior, worthless

I loved Mafia II. A linear but well crafted story that kept you on the rails a bit more than your standard Rockstar sandbox title. But that was kind of a good thing, you didn't have to score all the jumps, deliver all the newspapers or shoot all the pigeons, you just wandered through a great looking New York Empire Bay and felt like a real part of it. Check out the demo fo' sho'.

But then, is likening the game to Duff Beer a good or a bad thing? We'll have to go to the beer thread in general chit chat and do some research.

The 'Duff' in 'Duff Beer' is meant to mean that it's no good. It's a parody of how bad most big name lagers are. He's calling the game duff, i.e. it's bad, not saying it's like a beer.

Not downloaded Mafia II yet, but I passed it over in the Christmas sale because I heard it was no good. Since then I've had plenty of people tell me it's a great game, and even better for a fiver. I guess it was just disappointing for those who bought it on release.

Edited by McPhee

The 'Duff' in 'Duff Beer' is meant to mean that it's no good. It's a parody of how bad most big name lagers are. He's calling the game duff, i.e. it's bad, not saying it's like a beer.

Of course no one's saying he's comparing the game to a beer. I think you missed the point of our conversation. :p

Are Empire Total War and Rome Total war worth getting at the current steam sale price ($7.50 and $2.50 respectively)?