NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

Is there anything on Steam that my Samsung NC10 Netbook could run? I have Plants vs Zombies and Peggle. Maybe an old RPG or summat that I can get into?

Torchlight, it's bassicaly Diablo. Came out last year and got great reviews, it also has a netbook setting in the graphics options.

Positech Games (basically a UK-based one man operation run by Cliff Harris, a guy who before going solo worked for Elixir Studios (Republic: The Revolution and Evil Genius), Lionhead Studios (The Movies) and Maxis Software (prototype for The Sims)), the company behind games such as Gratituous Space Battles, the Kudos series and the Democracy series, a company whose games I particularly enjoy, is having a special sale for some of their older titles.

The Winter Bundle they currently have for sale has 5 games for $5.99:

-Democracy

-Kudos

-Rock Legend

-Planetary Defense

-Starship Tycoon

While some of them have a bit of a dated look, they are a blast to play, particularly Kudos, Rock Legend and Democracy. I originally paid over twice as much the price they are currently asking for the bundle for EACH of the games, so this deal is quite the bargain.

All 5 games have demos, for those interested. I suggest you try out at least Kudos, Rock Legend and Democracy. They are very interesting and addicting games, and well worth your time, especially for this price.

Here's Eurogamer's reviews of Kudos and Rock Legend:

-Kudos

-Rock Legend

On that same note, I've been told that Gratuitous Space Battles is really good. Is it on Steam? Thinking of picking it up.

On that same note, I've been told that Gratuitous Space Battles is really good. Is it on Steam? Thinking of picking it up.

Yes, it's on Steam.

It was part of a special sale that ended yesterday, where you could purchase it + 4 other games for €4.49. :o

Steam will have a special "holidays" sale later this month, maybe the price will be equally low at that time...

Is Deux Ex worth getting into? I'm really interested in the prequel but I want to play the other games first.

The thing is: I can't get into it. I don't know why, though.

Should I stick with it until it clicks?

The first one: yes.

Most will tell you you can skip the 2nd one. I haven't finished it yet, playing half-life at the moment, but I was near the end. It's absolutely not as good as the first, for various reasons, however, I could still stick with it for the story.

But the first one is one of my favourite games of all time. What part of it have you played up untill now? Do you know if there's anything specific why you're not getting into it (story, openness, controls etc)?

Do you know if there's anything specific why you're not getting into it (story, openness, controls etc)?

This. The controls are all over the place. It feels like you need to remember 100 buttons and their functions.

Deus Ex is one of those "you had to be there" things. Like most FPS titles, it hasn't aged well. It's quite common for people new to the game to not 'get' it.

Question. How does Steam work in terms of accounts and where I can play the games? Like can I use the same account and play the same games on two different computers?

Question. How does Steam work in terms of accounts and where I can play the games? Like can I use the same account and play the same games on two different computers?

yes you can log on to your steam account and download any game onto that...some games also support cloud saves so you pick up where you were on any computer...

Sweet. Just installed it on my netbook ready for my desktop to arrive.

So, like, my Steam ID is: VicariousVandal

Add me and stuff, people.

Edited by Daft

Done. Sent you a copy of Team Fortress 2 as well. If you don't want it/already have it then I'll send it to someone else. Grabbed it off the Christmas sale for my Dad but it's been sat in his email inbox for three weeks. Pretty sure he doesn't want it (it ain't Call of Duty, therefore it's "probably crap") and I don't see the sense in an awesome game going to waste!

Nice gesture McPhee - would be good to get more people around here playing TF2! Me and Mcoy love it, though we have briefly defected over to BFBC2 for a bit :heh:

Daft, want a copy of HL2 and Episode 1? I have them spare on my account and have had for the past 2 or 3 years, someone's gotta want them :heh:

I'm not really into TF, but since I'm done with MW2 (and have no other "recent" games), I try it from time to time. But eventhough I'm crap at it, I'd like to play against some real players sometime :rolleyes:. Let me know what server I can find you people on, and when, and maybe I'll join a game someday.

If I do play, my favourite classes are heavy, medic, and engineer.

Holy shit! Thank you sooooo much Phee!! That is literally amazing!!

And Dyson, I'd love a copy if it's going spare!!

Man! This is better than Xmas!! :D Can't wait to get home!

I'm not really into TF, but since I'm done with MW2 (and have no other "recent" games), I try it from time to time. But eventhough I'm crap at it, I'd like to play against some real players sometime :rolleyes:. Let me know what server I can find you people on, and when, and maybe I'll join a game someday.

If I do play, my favourite classes are heavy, medic, and engineer.

I'd like to try a proper game of TF2, too. The majority of my TF2 experience is the 360 version.

Question. How often are the Steam sales? I'm looking to pick up L4D1 and 2 but already have them on my 360 (but I don't pay for XBL any more) so I'd like to grab them for as cheap as humanly possible.

They have been around Christmas in the last two years. Additionally there are week-end sales every week, where you'll sometimes get real bargains. Just check out the "specials" section of the Steam store every Friday. I believe there were also summer sales last year?

Otherwise you'll get sales on special occasions and with a bit of patience you'll find both L4Ds cheap. I got both for around 10€ last October.

Cool, I guess I'll wait it out. Although there is a double pack for the two for £22.

Easter will be the next big one (if it follows last year). You're looking at saving around a tenner if you wait and both L4D titles go on sale. The Valve Complete pack was £25 over the Christmas period, so it's a bit unfortunate that you missed it.

BTW, Dyson, is that BC2 you play or BC2:Vietnam? I picked up 'Nam on 360 for some stupid reason.

BC2 vanilla at the moment since we got it in the steam sale for £7 (such an awesome deal) but we've got so much value out of it I'm sure we'll get Vietnam at some point. BFBC2 doesn't get boring atm though. Love it.

Even though I already have it on the PS3, I'll probably re-buy Vietnam through steam, as I'm a little bit uneasy about using PSN these days, at any rate, Battlefield games tend to play a little bit better on the PC anyway.