NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

For all those of you that haven't got it, Valve have been dropping the price of Team Fortress 2 randomly to £2.49 over this weekend. It's at that price now and will be til 8pm :)

Pretty sure my PC would cry if I tried to play TF2, but I'm tempted to buy it anyway if I catch it at that so that when I get my new laptop I can then play it.

I doubt it, TF2's system requirements are pretty low. So low in fact that people have just about managed to get it running on netbooks.

TF2 is pretty simple to run, and great fun. Even greater at that price.

add roebuck86 to your steam friends list. I'm well up for some TF2 action!

EA has added Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun, Tiberian Sun Firestorm, and Red Alert to their list of free C&C games. (The original was already free)

These will run on any computer within the last decade, and are great RTS fun.

Tiberian Sun is one of my favourite games ever. Couldn't get it to run smoothly on my Win7 laptop though, might give the free download version a try just incase it might work.

http://www.destructoid.com/2k-and-firaxis-announce-civilization-v-164176.phtml

Firaxis Games -- they make Civilization games. That's just what they do. So it's no surprise that today, 2K Games and the developer have announced that Civilization V is in development for the PC.

Built fro the ground-up, the latest entry in the turn-based strategy franchise will introduce a new combat system, "deeper diplomatic interactions," and other expanded features. World leaders will not be fully animated, and will speak in their native language for the first time in the series, so brush up on your world languages.

New multiplayer features will also be making their debut in the title, along with an "extensive suite" of community and modding tools.

Civilization V is set to ship this fall, and it's not the only Civ game Firaxis is working on -- a Facebook title, Civilization Network, is also in the works.

Is that a choir of angels I hear?

"New combat system" has me intrigued. I picked up CivIV recently and that's the bit that put me off. I'm used to Total War and Civ seems so random and (at times) unfair by comparison.

You can try Shattered Horizon for free this weekend through Steam.

I've always been interested in this title, and after having a quick go, it's obvious this isn't an elaborate release, but I really love the more realistic sci-fi setting and zero-gravito game mechanics. I'd love to see it in an epic full retail release one day, but for now this is fun to try. If there is (going to be) an active mod community and they keep on releasing maps (both official and community ones), I might pick it up later.

"New combat system" has me intrigued. I picked up CivIV recently and that's the bit that put me off. I'm used to Total War and Civ seems so random and (at times) unfair by comparison.

Lol, and completely non sense when you see a spearman take down a tank. I'm sure it makes sense in the mathematical formulas they made for it but it should NEVER happen.

Lol, and completely non sense when you see a spearman take down a tank. I'm sure it makes sense in the mathematical formulas they made for it but it should NEVER happen.

Hit the nail on the head.

I've given up now. I just use defensive armies and try for victory through technological/financial supremacy on the rare occasion that I play it any more.

Hey Steam gang, Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer is getting unlocked for everyone this weekend meaning a free weekend of MW2 PC for those that don't have it. Preload now, start playing on Friday. I'm getting it just to see what it's like on the PC after hearing horror stories!

For those still unaware, there's a great deal going on for charity in which you can pay any amount you want for a bundle of 5 great indie games:

-World of Goo

-Aquaria

-Gish

-Lugaru HD

-Penumbra: Overture

The games are available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

http://www.wolfire.com/humble

This is a great pack. All 5 games are worthwhile purchases, which makes this pack even more appealing.

Just bought them. Thanks for the heads up :)

What a nice little offer, the chance to help charity and indie developers whilst getting some good games on the cheap :D

What a nice little offer, the chance to help charity and indie developers whilst getting some good games on the cheap :D

Yeah, that's the thing: these are actually all quite fun (and well known) games, and not one of those packs with 1 or 2 interesting titles and the rest is filler. I already owned 3 of the titles, but ended up buying the pack to get the games I was missing (I had my eyes on Aquaria for quite some time, so I finally added it to my collection).

I've got World of Goo, but are the others worth getting? I'm sure I can spare a fiver :D

I've got World of Goo, but are the others worth getting? I'm sure I can spare a fiver :D

Aquaria is a beautiful and amazing metroidvania.

Will buy this pack tomorrow, just wish it was on Steam.

They are worth it:

-Penumbra: Overture is a physics based first person adventure game, and it was critically very well received (so much it spawned 2 other titles)

-Gish is a fun platforming/puzzle/... mix, and one of my favourite PC indie titles from the last few years. It's great fun, and it has plenty of content and modes.

I still haven't played enough of Aquaria and Lugaru HD to make a proper judgment (I got the pack for these 2 titles; I previously owned the other 3), but so far I found Aquaria to be a very relaxing game (and graphically it looks great, the graphics look hand drawn), and Lugaru HD is a fun title, well known for it's fast-paced combat mechanics.

I just bought it, I couldn't pass it up :D I love me some PC indie titles. There are some crackers.

Out of interest, what split did you use when purchasing? I split mine between Child's Play and Developers as I'd not heard of the other before, but it took me ages to decide.

With update 119 Valve teases their Engineer update. Just a short 29 second video is all.