NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Free Radical Talk Wii

It's the best FPS multiplayer experience. Full stop.

And I agree with that but i didnt want a member saying.. BUT TEH 478 pc onlinemultiplayer etc.

From the slagging of fzero gx to this i can to wonder about some people's taste in gaming.

Perfect Dark remains the ultimate FPS experience on a console. Period. GoldenEye second, no other games are worthy of being ranked in the same league as the aforementioned.

Those two and Timesplitters are from the same guys.

Those two and Timesplitters are from the same guys.

He obviously didn't play any console fps games since. There are great games for those that go looking..

And I agree with that but i didnt want a member saying.. BUT TEH 478 pc onlinemultiplayer etc.

From the slagging of fzero gx to this i can to wonder about some people's taste in gaming.

Well, I haven't played Timesplitters MP, nor Perfect Dark for that matter, but I have played GoldenEye MP (I own it) and it is awesome, I agree. But I think the best FPS MP experience is Counter Strike and I don't it's likely to be topped...

He obviously didn't play any console fps games since. There are great games for those that go looking..

Have played TS1 & 2, were pretty good, but no Perfect Darkesque "wow"-feeling to me. Geist sucked, and, bar MP, so did every other FPS on a console - with a special mention to the Halo series. Crappo mucho imho.

Very much looking forward to Wii FPS's with an intriguing storyline and sublime controls, plus the added abundance of multiplayer settings. Too bad there isn't anything alike down the line iirc.

:)

It's the best FPS multiplayer experience. Full stop.

Worried? You're worried?! Jesus... you guys are actually saying that multiplaying a FPS on a console is better than PC. Are you lot totally lost? I know its a matter of opinion but its commonly excepted that console FPS are superior on PC due to the control system.

For me GoldenEye and Perfect Dark only get near breaking this rule because of the way they handled.

Dual Analogue gets raped by keyboard and mouse period. Not to mention the sheer variety of great FPSs on PC.

I like how Perfect Dark pushed/crushed the boundaries of creative weaponary. And having the two-modes for weapons (not an altogether new idea per se) was an excellent way of expanding the creative potential of the weapons. (Using the laptop gun as a sentry gun was pure genius). It was the way it was delivered.

There needs to be more Farsights, Laptop guns and Gravity guns (ala Half life). The FPS genre can be stale if it just sticks to generic weapons in my opinion. (It's obviously difficult with games set in the past). But with the Wii I feel the guns should be feeling much more life-like and definately more creative. (How about a gun with in-built grappling gun using pointer functionality and then reeling up the cliff with the nunchuck).

Perfect Dark was clearly fantastic based on the weapon set and the way in which the levels seemed to work around the fire-arms. I feel many FPS games (especially those built up for online play or set in history) don't have enough clever weapons usage and level design - both complimenting each other. As I said, the Wii could plug the rot (yet not stop the lack of creativity) through physical use alone.

How talented were Rare?

Perfect Dark/Diddy Kong Racing/Banjo/Blast Corps/Killer Instinct/Donkey Kong Country...All differing genres with conflicting designs yet they were (are) ALL excellent in each way. Blows my mind how they created such a breadth of software in such top condition. It seems like they could have been as big as Nintendo at one point. (Fanboy rant over!!)

Well, I haven't played Timesplitters MP, nor Perfect Dark for that matter, but I have played GoldenEye MP (I own it) and it is awesome, I agree. But I think the best FPS MP experience is Counter Strike and I don't it's likely to be topped...

Having not played TS or PD (Well briefly, and it's slow down put me off) I don't know if I'm in the best place to comment. But I do much prefer Counter Strike over goldeneye, I could never get over the mouse+keyboard to joypad in FPS.

Perfect Dark/Diddy Kong Racing/Banjo/Blast Corps/Killer Instinct/Donkey Kong Country...All differing genres with conflicting designs yet they were (are) ALL excellent in each way. Blows my mind how they created such a breadth of software in such top condition. It seems like they could have been as big as Nintendo at one point. (Fanboy rant over!!)
Couldn't agree more, RARE on the SNES and to an even greater extent the N64, were a ledendary developer that truely rivaled Nintendo!

When I think back on the best games of the N64, bar Nintendo's key franchises (Mario, Zelda, F-Zero etc...), it's RARE who defined that console with the likes of Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark etc... they're all some of the best games ever made!

If only RARE weren't so different now!

Couldn't agree more, RARE on the SNES and to an even greater extent the N64, were a ledendary developer that truely rivaled Nintendo!

When I think back on the best games of the N64, bar Nintendo's key franchises (Mario, Zelda, F-Zero etc...), it's RARE who defined that console with the likes of Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark etc... they're all some of the best games ever made!

If only RARE weren't so different now!

I know :( It's a crying shame they changed so much and people left for ventures new. They must have had some crew in the late 90's. I hope they produce some sterling DS work in the future. I really think Nintendo got out at the right time (lucky?) as their output has been a lot different under the M$ banner. I'll have a wry smile of emotion and "good on you" if Banjo 3 turns out to be absolutely, fantastically brilliant. (And I don't own an 360). Come back Stamper brothers...Show us what you can do :p...And so on.... lol

Ironic how a FREE RADICAL thread turns to Rare...I bet Doak HATES that :o

Worried? You're worried?! Jesus... you guys are actually saying that multiplaying a FPS on a console is better than PC. Are you lot totally lost? I know its a matter of opinion but its commonly excepted that console FPS are superior on PC due to the control system.

Single player on a PC is generally better. Multiplayer, however, is a totally different story - a console wins hands down. LAN/Online feels disjointed compared to split-screen goodness.

Single player on a PC is generally better. Multiplayer, however, is a totally different story - a console wins hands down. LAN/Online feels disjointed compared to split-screen goodness.

I couldnt SEE anything while playing 4 player TS (any of them) split screen. Online PC is much more fast paced and less like playing a game of tag with your mates in a virtual world. What do find that makes it disjointed?

I'll admit, playing with someone you know is better (i frequently do in CS:S) but I still enjoy PC so much more.

Also think that the level design in TS was horrifically confusing.

I really hope we see another Free Radical FPS on Wii whether or not it's TS I don't care as long as level design and controls are good it doesn't really matter to me.

I must say I was very pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of TS3 on GC. I played on hard coop with a friend and we were headshoting our way through the levels with manual aim. Good times and aiming was a lot easier than in the James Bond titles by EA for instance.

So well I expect great things control wise from Free Radical, maybe the first FPS that will really rival PC FPS controls.

Yeah, if you've not played 99% of other FPS.

Timesplitters never stood out for me, it wasn't particularly exciting, engaging or 'new' imo.

Don't you like Halo?

Bar Goldeneye and Perfect Dark!

IMO Goldeneye hasnt aged well at all. I tried playing a year back when I had a N64 and I just couldnt. The game wasnt smooth and the controls were terrible, I wouldnt care I used to play it non-stop when I was younger aswell. For its time though Goldeneye was a master piece.

IMO Goldeneye hasnt aged well at all. I tried playing a year back when I had a N64 and I just couldnt. The game wasnt smooth and the controls were terrible, I wouldnt care I used to play it non-stop when I was younger aswell. For its time though Goldeneye was a master piece.

Its strange I seem to be able to go back to games like these with frame rate issues (especially Perfect Dark multiplayer with n-bombs) and still play them with no problems.

Goldeneye just feels dirty to play these days.

As for Timesplitters, it is a great single player game but the multiplayer maps are poorly designed compared to games like Halo (oh yeah I went there) and it feels more like an FPS party game than a real competitive FPS game.

Sure playing a console FPS with your mates is fun but that's the point, your mates being there and having a laugh is what makes it fun, not the game, play Timesplitters with a bunch of bots by yourself and the game is dull as hell.

If people didn't like the TS maps the option was there to create their own levels with a really high level of customisation. I never saw the problem when you could make your own levels. TS2 holds some of my best cube memories...If only for my OWN user-created levels. Not the levels in the game.

Sure playing a console FPS with your mates is fun but that's the point, your mates being there and having a laugh is what makes it fun, not the game, play Timesplitters with a bunch of bots by yourself and the game is dull as hell.

Play ANY multiplayer game against bots instead of people and they all are dull as hell, what are you trying to say there?

Some of my best multiplayer memories have been on PC FPS's, the first time I played 4 player Doom over a LAN was brilliant. I had some great fun playing Quake online. When I finally got good enough to compete at CS without dying straight away, it was great. And playing 2 player co-op with my girlfriend on System Shock 2, man I love that game.

On the most part I agree with you that consoles are better for multiplayer, but I have found by my past experience that for FPS's PC's are much better.

I'm hoping the Wii can change that, with it's controls that almost rival mouse and keyboard. I'm really looking forward to MOH: Heroes 2, if that game nails the controls (and from what I've heard it does) it should be a great multiplayer expereince.

I'm hoping the Wii can change that, with it's controls that almost rival mouse and keyboard. I'm really looking forward to MOH: Heroes 2, if that game nails the controls (and from what I've heard it does) it should be a great multiplayer expereince.

I would have considered it, but there's no mode in which I can play against my housemates or non-Wii-owning friends.

The problem with console FPS's multiplayer is that you have to have like-minded friends.

All of my friends are really casual gamers who own exclusively football games and the others don't care for it. We have had a few rounds of Wii Sport but all I can get them on is some retro classics. My brothers arn't into the whole multiplay FPS thing either anymore.

I think the old days of sitting in a room filled with people wanting the next shot of Goldeneye are long gone for me, unless I head out and get some 12 year old friends......nah.

The problem with console FPS's multiplayer is that you have to have like-minded friends.

Isn't that even more the case with PC FPS multiplayer?

Sign in to follow this