NEurope
skizza83

Dave Perry furthers his thoughts on Wii

“(speaking of Wii) That’s truly disruptive. I got sort of killed in the press recently because I said people are going to put their Wii-motes down when they start to play all the new stuff on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It wasn’t dismissive at all. Nintendo has disrupted out industry; they’ve done a fantastic job of that. My point is the games I personally like to play–Assassin’s Creed and Killzone 2–I have a list full of them and none of them are on the Wii.†- Dave Perry

What does everyone think of this dude? if nintendo followed suit with exactly what the xbox360 and ps3 done with hi def high powred none casual gaming then it wouldnt be in the near 1st position its near today!

also more here on his website

http://www.dperry.com/archives/news/dp_blog/dropping_wii_co/

He's an idiot. Nintendo don't go out and say this about other developers and companies.

By the way, this guy made Enter the Matrix. He loses all credibility by even trying to talk about other companies.

He's an idiot.

Because of his opinion?

Nintendo don't go out and say this about other developers and companies.

So what? Just because Nintendo don't do it now doesn't mean it should be universal standard. Besides, Yamauchi used to shoot his mouth about other companies all the time.

By the way, this guy made Enter the Matrix. He loses all credibility by even trying to talk about other companies.

You have a point there...

if nintendo followed suit with exactly what the xbox360 and ps3 done with hi def high powred none casual gaming then it wouldnt be in the near 1st position its near today!

On his site he acknowledges the Wii has been a great success because of the simplified nature of its controls though. However, at the same time, he's dismissing the console as something not suitable for hardcore gamers. Since there are hardcore (complex) games out now and still coming to the Wii, it's anyone's guess why he's choosing to overlook that. :indeed:

Because of his opinion?

So what? Just because Nintendo don't do it now doesn't mean it should be universal standard. Besides, Yamauchi used to shoot his mouth about other companies all the time.

You have a point there...

1. No. He's not saying why he doesn't like it or why gamers won't like it soon, it just seems like a fanboyish comment, he's basically saying XBOX AND PS3 FTW.

2. Yamauchi never played a game in his life, fact. I'm sure if Iwata suddenly came out and said that Shiny Entertainment was crap because their last two Matrix games sucked harder than Dyson on speed then Perry wouldn't be so happy.

3. Thanks.

Yeah, he did sound like he's been sucking MS and Sony cocks. But I'm sure Yamauchi said that Final Fantasy sucked and everyone who plays it is a loser or something to that effect. In his defense though, he might have a point...

Aye, that's what caused Square-Enix to ignore Nintendo consoles almost completely for about 10 years. But Yamauchi seriously never played a game in his life, I don't understand how he could be president of Nintendo for so long.

Yamauchi:"[People who play RPGs are] depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games."

Interview in 1999

Yamauchi:"[People who play RPGs are] depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games."

Interview in 1999

......and he was right:)

but seriously i can't believe some people believe we should be playing with the same style controls forever. The ps4 and xbox 3 will clearly be copying this.

I don't care what he likes. If he likes playing what the average 12-year-old boy likes playing, so be it. I prefer more mature titles like Mario Galaxy.

Interview in 1999

And he was so right...! :awesome:

Dave Perry just likes to grab a few headlines if he can so we all know he's still around. He says that some games he wants to play are on other machines, so what...? I thought the majority here were big supporters of getting something other than or as well as a Wii.

I don't care what he likes. If he likes playing what the average 12-year-old boy likes playing, so be it. I prefer more mature titles like Mario Galaxy.

Good comment Cube, and it's 100% right.

He said stupid things before and his track record with games his awful, but this time, he said nothing wrong, just his opinion. He's just one of those guys that needs epic "AAA" HD games.

I shudder to think what state Nintendo would be in if Yamauchi was still president.

As for Dave Perry, I'm sure no one cares what he has to say so why does he bother saying anything at all.

I shudder to think what state Nintendo would be in if Yamauchi was still president.

He knew it would be terrible if he carried on - that's why he left.

He knew it would be terrible if he carried on - that's why he left.

That and because he was old. Good ol' Iron Fist Yamauchi. What a legend.

As for Dave Perry, I'm sure no one cares what he has to say so why does he bother saying anything at all.

He's an attention whore. He'll be launching some new "revolutionary" publishing companies, so he needs all the attention he can get.

He's an attention whore. He'll be launching some new "revolutionary" publishing companies, so he needs all the attention he can get.

How could a publishing company be revolutionary? By not aquiring the rights to a game before they publish it?

How is he wrong this time? It's his loss that he doesn't have Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl on his 'list', not mine.

I couldn't care less what David Perry says after all his lets call it influence is next to zero. Yeah Messiah was a cool game but after that .... lets cast the shadow of mercy about that time.

FACT

Yamauchi > Iwata > ... > David Perry

It was Yamauchi who lead Nintendo with an iron fist and without him there wouldn't be Nintendo now. Time has changed and that is why Iwata is successfull. A generation or two ago I doubt the Wii would have been that much of a victory console. Mhm victory gin....

How could a publishing company be revolutionary? By not aquiring the rights to a game before they publish it?

It's a different concept, publishing is a serious business. I've read it in an EDGE, but I don't wannta bother digging it up now :P

The guy is a cock. He hates the Wii because it challenges everything he's done throughout the progression of his career. For the first time since the 3D revolution developers are actually having to rethink how we play games, and that's a hell of a lot more 'disruptive' to Dave than just giving an old game a new coat of graphical sheen.

I think he was spot on about not wanting to play Gran Turismo 5 etc on the Wii.

The Wii has it's own great games, just different games to the 360 and PS3 though. That's a good thing.

He's an idiot. Nintendo don't go out and say this about other developers and companies.

He spoke his mind, and it's refreshing to hear someone in the industry do it.

Attacking him as a dev doesn't make his opinions any less valid either.