NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
christophicus

Infra red

I dont know if this has been mentioned yet as i havent had the chance to look over the posts.but does it look like there is an infra red output thingy on the back of the controller?have nintendo taken a step back?

I think that is just there to correspond with the sensors. Not sure if it is infra red; i'd think it was something more advanced.

guys that seriously isnt infra red. think about it, your waving that thing around if it was infra red the signal would be lost every secod.

The controller doesn't use infra-red for gaming neccessities.

Instead it uses infra-red to turn the REV on and off.

Revolution Controller

I really love the controller so far, but that infrared thing is the only thing that's bugging me. On the video you see practically everybody swinging those controllers waaaay out of the range of the sensors you have to place on your tv, so my question is:

Is that all for show? Don't the sensors just read the last bit of your baseball swing when the infrared thing passes the range of the sensors? So couldn't you just twist your wrist and thus stay in the sensor field to get the same effect as the broad zelda slash that dude gives at the end of the movie?

I sure hope the infrared is just to turn the rev on/off and that they've managed to make it positioning-aware with some other waveform of sort. Then you could use the controller horizontally with the dpad an lower a&b buttons for racing games and tilt the controller left and right without having to put the sensors on your left beside the couch (got it?) :)

I'll post this question on gamespot's Burning Questions section and let y'all know when I get an answer from people who've actually had some playtime with the things. Does somebody have an ign insider account? Maybe they can post it there too as Matt Cassamaminananoe seems to post on his own forums regularly.

Cheerio!

I kind of see the likely possiblity is that the sensor in the front of the "wand" is used for real-time calibrating, though I'll try and ask in the IGN forums too. If the system does have gyroscopes installed then it should be able to track its movements in space, however violent movements may well cause errors over time, the sensor would then use the two transmitters mounted by the TV to re-adjust itself when it passes through their area of effect and can be seen by the it.

Do you really think Nintendo would create a controller that wouldn't work well? C'mon guys, these are professionals not ten year olds.

Oh I'm not saying it won't work well, I've been with Nintendo since I was 5, and I'm 24 now, so I know which company ALWAYS delivers. All I'm saying is I really hope you can race your car by holding it sideways and you can really swing your sword that broad.

The thing probably works like sonars, or dolphins. With ultra-sound waves. It's cheap and works with enouth precision.

Well, I've posted a message on IGN's boards, hoping that maybe Matt Cassmassina might stumble across it and clarify the situation:

http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=98913441

Subject: "Pointer" sensor vs Gyroscope? What is actually sensing movement?

I'm kind of hoping Mr Cassmassina might spot this one and clear it up, on the Cube site if not in direct response.

What is actually sensing the movement in the new Revolution controller?

Iwata made a significant point of highlighting the "pointing" sensor on the front end of the controller, whilst the actions being demonstrated in the teaser video show something that would almost certainly require some form of gyroscopes. There's three possibilities, not all exclusive of each other, I hope:

1. The "pointing" sensor is something akin to an Infra-red receiver, this means that the controller must always be pointing in the rough direction of the transmitters that are placed by the TV screen. This is limiting, as the field of view is itself limited, so these wild sword-swinging actions that were demonstrated are unrealistic.

2. There are gyroscopic sensors in the controller, but they need the "pointing" sensor to correct themselves when they can see the transmitters. This assumption is that whilst the gyroscopes are perfectly adequate for normal use, when you get into extreme movements such as the sword swinging, the gyroscopes can become misaligned; however, if part of the swing brings the "pointing" sensor to bear on the transmitters then it will correct it's path.

3. Both systems are used, but in specific circumstances (this is the possibility I believe is the more likely, but as I said I'm looking for confirmation). The gyroscopes are used in the vast majority of situations, such as the drumming, sword swinging, cooking, tennis and so on; however, when you are trying to point the controller at a specific point on the screen, such as the shooting and fly-swatting, the "pointing" sensor comes into play to accurately locate where the sensor is looking.

As I said, I'm hoping the likely situation is that the latter is the real one, but at present only someone who will have handled the controller would be able to give me a reliable answer. I'm kind of guessing, around here, that would be pretty much Matt...

Thanx YenRug!

Keep checking those boards and keep us posted! If it's the giration option, that truuuuuly would be awesome, limitless freedom!

It uses Blue tooth technology to sense the controllers EXACT distance AND direction from the TV (using those things on the side of the tv). Now this tells the REV exactly where the controller is (x, y , z co-ordinates) HOWEVER NOT the angle the contoller is on. The calculations for the angle of the contollers comes from within the controllers itself (tilt mechanism or Gyro)

So when you think about it there is a hell of alot of 3d information getting transmitted. X,Y,Z co-ordinates for the LOCATION of the contoller, and X,Y,Z for actual contoller ANGLES.

So in theory with all of this information no matter how you hold the controller then revolution should beable to display it vitually on the screen exactly how you are holding it. AND the distance from the Screen. (LIKE A MIRROR!)

its basically a light gun at the end isn't it? to detect where your pointing.

No, there's 2 sensors you place on top of your TV which pick up the movement of the controller. Light guns wouldn't work on HDTV.

Think of this as an advanced form of light gun, without the light.

One thing for sure, the Revolution has packed lots of hot technology into its modest size

we dont know how good the technology is yet, but just look at the ipod nano, though i dread the battery life :hmm:

I dont think it would be sending x,y,z co-ords, If i were to design something like this i'd probably use sperical polar cordinates as its much easier to get data for using sensors.

This method detects how far the controler is from the box (easy to do), what angle the controller is from the horixontal plane, and what angle it is for the vertical plane. This instead of x,y,z data which would be practiacally imposible

to get via sensors.

Thats 3 peices of data all measured by the revolution box to do with positioning. The controler would be sending 2 types of positioning data, vertical tilt and horizontal tilt (relatitive to the controllers line of sight to the reciever).

Its the easiest way I can see of setting it up. And you could do it with only one sensor. Having two would greatly increase accuracy.

yea but you are just masking the X,Y,Z data with 'interface' data. Believe me its all there.. it has to be in order to recreate in a 3d world.

Sign in to follow this