NEurope
pedrocasilva

Shiren the Wanderer 3

Fuurai no Shiren Comes to Wii

Sega and Chunsoft announce new entry in classic series.

Following a series of portable outings, SEGA and developer Chunsoft will be bringing back the Mysterious Dungeon Fuurai no Shiren series to home consoles. The latest issue of Famitsu has a first report on Fuurai no Shiren 3: Karakuri Yashiki no Nemuri Hime (The Sleeping Princess in Karakuri Mansion), which is in development for the Wii.

In this first numbered entry in the series since the N64's Fuurai no Shiren 2, players once again take control of Shiren, who's accompanied on his journey by Coppa, a ferret who happens to speak human talk. Shiren is out to explore the mystery-filled Karakuri Mansion.

Of course, this means lots of randomly generated dungeons. The game will include around 30 dungeon variations, some long and some short.

Chunsoft is placing a big focus on one particular area of the game: monster designs. In addition to 30 monsters from past Shiren games, players can look forward to 30 new creatures. The older monsters have been updated for the new game, and come complete with new skills.

Joining the random dungeons and wild monster designs is a new system, the Item Growth System. Dungeons have special locations where you can temporarily store an item. Following a few turns, the item will have transformed into something entirely new. As an example, it's possible to change one weapon into a fire sword.

Also new to the series are some slick movie scenes to help advance the storyline. The game will reportedly have quite a bit in the way of movie content, but they will unfortunately be free of voices. Producer Koichi Nakamura Nakamura hopes that players will enjoy the movie scenes with the voices that they've imagined for Shiren all these years.

Shiren won't be taking advantage of the Wiimote for waggle controls. According to Nakamura, Chunsoft experimented with a variety of special control schemes, but determined that standard digital controls work best with the game. He recommends playing with the Classic Controller, although players can also select to play with just the Wiimote, or with both the Wiimote and nunchuck.

Network compatibility, on the other hand, could make it in. While being a bit secretive on the matter, Nakamura did confirm that Chunsoft is looking into a number of ideas.

They'll have plenty of time to finalize things. Fuurai no Shiren 3 isn't due for Japanese release until 2008.

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/817/817907p1.html

Scans:

4lpxv6x.jpg

6bxz3fd.jpg

525q4qe.jpg

4ra61kx.jpg

click to enlarge [1] [2] [3] [4]

RPG's seem to be flocking in now :D

No waggle at all huh. Interesting since to be blunt it doesn't look like they're doing anything interesting visually either, not even a particularly appealing style. The Dark Cloud games also made me sick to the stomach of randomly generated dungeons.

Not very positive about this.

I found it amusing how they said the ferret just happens to speak human talk.
I'm more amused by the fact he's called Coppa (too similar to koopa?)

Has anyone played one of the former titles, and if so how were they?
I didn't, but being made by chunsoft and called mysterious dungeon... it should be in line with every other game they've done in the genre (including Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon).

Screnshots: (Not Scans)

h-104_77564_shiren01.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren02.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren03.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren04.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren05.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren06.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren07.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren08.jpg.jpg

Needs.. uh, Work.

Ohh this looks like it has potential.Come on the RPGs :D

Online play would be a gem to have with an RPG and let players do some co-op.

Maybe I'm being a little bit mean, but alot of the games that have been announced for wii lately I can see been done just as easily on the ds, except a little pixelated. But easily done on the ds. For me this is one of those games right now.

Maybe I'm being a little bit mean, but alot of the games that have been announced for wii lately I can see been done just as easily on the ds, except a little pixelated. But easily done on the ds. For me this is one of those games right now.

welcome to "new gen" gaming

I wouldn't go that far, but I'll say the game really gave me a Grandia 2 on Dreamcast vibe.

But... this is chunsoft, I have the idea they're quite poor and I'm forgiving; that said... I'm nor praising either, just saying to give it time and see it it comes out better.

the game looks oke if turns out good i'll get it i only dont like the camera angle its too high

is there a release date?

the game looks oke if turns out good i'll get it i only dont like the camera angle its too high

is there a release date?

Sometime in 2008 for Japan, nothing announced besides that.

There's rumors suggesting that Fuurai no Shiren DS is being translated by Sega, so that might work as a test (I don't even know if it's a rumor or something announced, I just "heard" it)

Can this be compared to either "Link to the Past" or "Diablo" in any way?
*I hate to make this easy joke but*

Graphically... yes.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't say it can be compared; it'll be like Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon and other mysterious dungeon games. (mostly done by chunsoft, who is also developing this one.