NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

DirectX10, GRR! Help!

Basically I have my nice laptop with Vista, me and my mate once had a unhealthy passion for Age of Empires online, it works on ym XP comp but not on my Vista laptop(online that is). Doesn't work on HIS vista comp either. I've come to the conclusion that DirectPlay/DirectX is somehow to blame, a little reading on wikipedia tells me that DirectPlay has been Deprecated in 10.

Here's my predicament, how the hell can I manage to get it to work without removing 10(which i believe can only be gotten WITH vista, so i have no way to restore it feasibly?). Is there an alternative that I can install that will do the job, or some other possibility? I considered(something I know pretty much zilch about) trying to emulated XP on my vista laptop, is that gonna be tricky business? I've heard about it before, Virtual Machines and all that I think.

Which AoE?

1, 2 or 3? Since, if its not 2 then it fails.

IP works on AoE2, i know that from playing it over a LAN one time. IPX doesn't work, for some strange reason. Probably lack of support now that IPv6 is coming into force.

It is 2 :D

I can get it to work over my LAN, and he can get it to work over his LAN, it's not the TCP/IP, I'm fairly sure it's because aspects of DirectPlay have been dropped from DirectX 10. I might just try and install DirectX9 and see if it automatically overwrites 10. I doubt I'll ever need/want 10 as I'm not a big PC gamer, but I'd still like a way to restore it if I can.

McPhee, I know nothing about setting my comp up to dual boot, how do I even begin to go about it?

You can't "overwrite" DX10 with 9. It doesn't work like that. DX10 is an extention of 9, it has all its technologies bar some of the old outdated stuff such as DirectPlay. TCP/IP LAN mode works with the latest version of AoE2 Conquerer's, trust me. It sounds more like a connectivity issue. If you're both running Vista, disable IPv6, its probably trying to run via that, which AoE2 simply doesn't understand.

Only I'm running Vista(he's running XP), but how do I disable that anyway? I'm not denying it works with LAN, we're not trying to play over a LAN though, we're trying to play between his house and my house over the internet with the TCP/IP for DirectPlay option. Damn Microsoft and their gayness.

Sign in to follow this