NEurope
Guest bluey

Apple Press Conference (New iPods, iPhone price drop)

Oh good, shrink my tunes. A batch LAME transcoder repackaged as a magical converter for shrinking filesizes to the general public. I hope they don't fall for this.

God this gets worse as I read the site. The FAQ throws around the word "patented" for an algorithm which prides itself on being free and open source.

And the worst part of all, they're trying to charge for this?! Anyone with mild programming experience could do the same in about 10 minutes, that isn't even exaggeration. Infact i'd wager a beginner could do it.

That's exactly what it is - Lame 3.97 at V7 and V9. It's a total rip off.

So you'd rather still carry around 3 devices instead of 2? Up to you anyway.

Yea it sounds strange but I really rather would. There is no substitute for my camera. Plus both my phone an the Touch is slim enough to slide in my pocket and forget about them. Size isn't really an issue. Also I'd rather not be forced to get a new phone contract with a MUCH higher tariff than I currently have. In the end it probably works out cheaper buying the extra device but like I said I'm not going to get this iteration of the Touch.

Erm me lol

For train journeys and when you have to work a long way, shopping trips and general wandering around town when your bored ro waiting for people. You can never have to much battery life as long as it's not at the expense of ther features.

Just though for all the people who want a touch, but are worried about storage space for music, there is a work around.

ShrinkMyTunes

Get 4x the music by shrinking it using advance compression shit and crazy stuff. Only 19.99 too. So just add that to the price of whatever and your sorted.

Taking a 192kbit file and making it 29kbit doesn't sound like something I would wanna do...

http://www.playerbites.com/130/z-groups-shrinkmytunes-compression-software-review.html

It's not 29kbps - that website uses bad software to evaluate the resulting mp3s - they're vbr (which their software clearly can't handle) somewhere around 60kbps.

OH

MY

LORD

Are the nanos nice! So damn thin you really can't believe how they got the battery and the flash drive and the screen and everything into something that thin, and small. wow.

Are the nano screens super bright or something? I swear they're brighter than my 5.5G iPods screen. It may just be the pixel density thing. The Birmingham store only had the new nanos in.

Love the new UI too. I'm definitly getting at least a 80GB Classic now i've used it. Cover flow is nowhere near as bad as i thought it was going to be, it's smoother than it is in my iTunes, but i imagine it'll get a bit slow with 80GB of music and loads of album art to deal with. But it was nice and fast enough.

I'm very impressed with the nano, and rather taken with the updated UI.

One thing.

It's the fucking iPod touch.

Itouch is quicker to type, people are gonna say it..

And i'm going to correct them where they type lol

Will be interesting to see what the iTouch is like in stores but for now I think I'll go for a nano...

I saw the new Nano's today in the Glasgow Apple Store. They're pretty sweet, I thought they were going to be really uncomfy but they're anything but. I like the new menu design on them. Saw the new Classic's too but didn't use them as it's virtually the same as before. If I hadn't just got an 80gb I'd probably get the 80GB classic - that battery life is just too good to miss out on. The price on it is so much more attractive that it was before. You can't say it's overpriced at £160 for 80GB with 40 hours battery.

*Wishes he lived near and Apple store*

The "i" should be lower case.

I saw the new Nano's today in the Glasgow Apple Store. They're pretty sweet, I thought they were going to be really uncomfy but they're anything but. I like the new menu design on them. Saw the new Classic's too but didn't use them as it's virtually the same as before. If I hadn't just got an 80gb I'd probably get the 80GB classic - that battery life is just too good to miss out on. The price on it is so much more attractive that it was before. You can't say it's overpriced at £160 for 80GB with 40 hours battery.

And how is the Glasgow store?

Looks gorgeous in the pictures online.

And how is the Glasgow store?

Looks gorgeous in the pictures online.

It's really nice. Not as clean looking as the London one for some reason though. It's much more compact and they have to fit a lot of stuff into that space obviously.

I splurged out on a 160GB iPod Classic at the Apple Store in Manchester Arndale before. I was hovering on getting the 80GB version, but this iPod has got to last me a good while and they only had the 80GB in black, which was already showing everybody's grubby fingerprints.

Just taken some pics whilst syncing up my library:

(My camera is terrible at taking indoor shots at night without flash)

snv30134vc0.jpg

snv30132hp4.jpg

snv30133qp9.jpg

I still look at the back and think the capacity of the iPod is just plain stupid. But I cocking love it!

I've only had a go using my girlfriend's music library up to now, which has got some seriously questionable music on it (S Club Juniors, anyone?) but from what I've seen, the cover flow lag is seriously exaggerated on the internet. It does take a couple of seconds to catch up if you're flying through albums, but nothing that's going to annoy you too much. It works quite smoothly too, and it is responsive. Really enjoy the new UI too, it's about time the iPod had it refreshed. The new 'Now Playing' screen looks cool!

I was gonna get a touch but i might just get a 80gb classic. I didn't realise they were so much thinner and the more i see them the more sexy they look.

Another thing you can do with a 160 gig is have a portable backup of your computer. Just in case your laptops hard drive fails in the middle of a business trip.

I'm so surprised to hear people's amazed reaction to the iTouch, when it really is just an iPhone sans phone features. Hardly anything 'new'.

I'm so surprised to hear people's amazed reaction to the iTouch, when it really is just an iPhone sans phone features. Hardly anything 'new'.

I think it's just the lack of contract, extra storage over the current iPhone, and the fact it'll be out here before the end of the month lol.

Just watched the i-pod touch tour on the apple website.

Oh my god.

Christmas list = i-pod touch

No hyphen! It's "iPod". :heh:

Do you think it would be possible for a firmware upgrade to give the old iPods the new menu?

No hyphen! It's "iPod". :heh:

Do you think it would be possible for a firmware upgrade to give the old iPods the new menu?

Probably, wont be for a good few months for those who refuse to upgrade lol

hmm, im really tempted to buy an 80GB classic. I should be able to get one for under £120 when they come in stock at my dad's work, pretty good value eh?