NEurope
Guest bluey

Apple Press Conference (New iPods, iPhone price drop)

Does anyone know when the new version of iTunes that will work with these iPods (7.4.0) will come out. (as you don't get an install CD with the nanos anymore)

Well the last iPod (video) update was August last year.

I wouldn't get a Touch just yet, I'm thinking it will be a transition one until a better one comes out, similar the iPod Photo. I would think possibly April of next year? I'm hoping for the 16GB to be the price of the current 8GB, the 8gb to be discontinued and then release a 32GB one at the price of the 16GB.

I don't think they'll phase out the classic, there will be a big demand for it at this price, a lot of people don't want anything more than a normal iPod. The new Nano is very good value at £100 for 4GB with video capibilities.

Thats what i think as well.

They can't phase out the classic until they have a very large capacity touch. People with massive music libraries would have no where to turn, so i say it'll be at least 2 years before the HDD based classic can be phased out.

I could see a merge of the Nano/Shuffle and Classic/Touch/iPhone happening withing 5 years.

The Nano keeps getting smaller + cheaper so the Shuffle will soon be redundant and the market expansion is tilting towards use of HSDPA networks for high speed streaming of Video/Audio anywhere in the country. When all this happens theres no point in 5 SKUs, Apple could merge them in to 2 without loosing any custom.

If Apple are the first in the market to do this then i'll buy another iPod

I HATE the new designs. iPod touch looks cool though. Too bad everyone's going to be asking me why it looks like an iPhone.

Does anyone know when the new version of iTunes that will work with these iPods (7.4.0) will come out. (as you don't get an install CD with the nanos anymore)

I'm pretty sure it's out already. If it's not on the UK apple site get it from the US site.

Edit - Yeah, it is. Go to advanced in iTunes then Check for Updates. Or if you're on a Mac press the Apple button in the menu and go to Software Update.

Thats the one thing I don't like about iPods. The lack of stuff you get in the box. I know you can get it off the internet but what if you can't connect to the internet? Can you just not use an iPod? My main problem with this though is the lack of a charger. It really annoys me that I'm going to have to pay for a plug to charge my iPod on holiday. Why did they remove it?

it got removed in the 4th gen.

3rd Gen 30Gb iPod came with

iPod

Case

Dock

Firewire cable

Headphones + Inline Remote

Software

the main reason they removed the extras was to cut costs.

If I remember correctly the 30Gb iPod I got was £400, the 40Gb 4th gen cost £300

I'm pretty sure it's out already. If it's not on the UK apple site get it from the US site.

Edit - Yeah, it is. Go to advanced in iTunes then Check for Updates. Or if you're on a Mac press the Apple button in the menu and go to Software Update.

Sorry I checked just after I posted and it was out. I didn't have time to delete or edit my post.

it got removed in the 4th gen.

3rd Gen 30Gb iPod came with

iPod

Case

Dock

Firewire cable

Headphones + Inline Remote

Software

the main reason they removed the extras was to cut costs.

If I remember correctly the 30Gb iPod I got was £400, the 40Gb 4th gen cost £300

I don't mind them getting rid of stuff like the dock but to me a charger should be a standard thing. Still, I suppose it's not that much more to pay for one.

I don't mind them getting rid of stuff like the dock but to me a charger should be a standard thing. Still, I suppose it's not that much more to pay for one.

Still though, I do think they should bother to include one, I mean they make enough money already.

Though saying that, quite a few mp3 players don't include one now. :angry:

Still though, I do think they should bother to include one, I mean they make enough money already.

Though saying that, quite a few mp3 players don't include one now. :angry:

I think it's crap, because although most of the time you'll charge it on your computer, with it being a portable device, loads of people are going to want to take them on holiday, on business trips etc. where they may not have access to a computer for a number of days.

I may go on holiday and not listen to my iPod enough so the battery runs out but I'll be pissed off if it does and I don't a charger with me.

I think it's crap, because although most of the time you'll charge it on your computer, with it being a portable device, loads of people are going to want to take them on holiday, on business trips etc. where they may not have access to a computer for a number of days.

I may go on holiday and not listen to my iPod enough so the battery runs out but I'll be pissed off if it does and I don't a charger with me.

Yup, that's what happened to me in Paris. I couldn't buy a charger so I only had one charge to last me the trip. Pretty annoying.

It's 'silver' apparently. I think i'm getting the black but i know when i see it in person.

Who needs picture messaging when you have email? Video watching? huh?

Games you can get with a hack ^_^ And who really wants to edit photos on a 3 inch screen?!?! Surely if your serious about editing photos you'll do it on a bigger screen, like say the macbook pro.

The 2MP camera needs an upgrade, and it definitely needs 3G for us in Europe. And the ability to record video should've been included as well. New iPhones soon though i expect, so probably a version designed for us more phone savvy europeans.

The iPhone at the end of the day is a mobile phone; and the main point of a mobile phone is for communications with other mobile phones. For this reason picture messaging is quite important as it used widely.

The iPhone at the end of the day is a mobile phone; and the main point of a mobile phone is for communications with other mobile phones. For this reason picture messaging is quite important as it used widely.

Only time i EVER receive picture messages is when they're pictures of someones, shall we call them privates?! So don't try and make out that they're really useful and fun because email is so much better for sending pictures.

USB ports are all over the place, if your going on holiday you should buy the charger. Charging via the cable makes a lot of sense, but the option is still there for the people who want to have a charger, same as with any other company such as say, creatives MP3 players.

Picture messaging is huge in this country, just because you don't use it doesn't mean it's not very popular, because it is. Not everyone checks their emails, not everyone uses email, sometimes you just want to send a picture message to a mate who is out the house. The fact that the iPhone lacks MMS is pathetic quite frankly and just one in a long list of features that it's sorely lacking.

A charger should be included in the box, it's basic.

If you look at it this way, the price cut made when they scrapped including chargers, docks, software etc allows you to buy a charger with your saved cash and still come out better off in the end.

Jeebus. If you can fork out enough for an iPod, buying a charger is no massive dent in your bank account. Whingers!

Only time i EVER receive picture messages is when they're pictures of someones, shall we call them privates?! So don't try and make out that they're really useful and fun because email is so much better for sending pictures.

USB ports are all over the place, if your going on holiday you should buy the charger. Charging via the cable makes a lot of sense, but the option is still there for the people who want to have a charger, same as with any other company such as say, creatives MP3 players.

Cooome off it. I'm supposed to spend £20 on a charger just for the odd week I'm going to be away from a computer?!

If you look at it this way, the price cut made when they scrapped including chargers, docks, software etc allows you to buy a charger with your saved cash and still come out better off in the end.

Jeebus. If you can fork out enough for an iPod, buying a charger is no massive dent in your bank account. Whingers!

I spent over £200 on an iPod, and I think spending £20 on a plug for it is crap. It's my one and only complaint with the iPod (well the iPod package as a whole).

Picture messaging is huge in this country, just because you don't use it doesn't mean it's not very popular, because it is. Not everyone checks their emails, not everyone uses email, sometimes you just want to send a picture message to a mate who is out the house. The fact that the iPhone lacks MMS is pathetic quite frankly and just one in a long list of features that it's sorely lacking.

A charger should be included in the box, it's basic.

If you say so, it doesn't bother me at all. I've had the ability to send MMS for years like most people but i've only bothered about twice, ever. I just don't think it's as important as a larger flash drive, or 3G.

It's not now the standard for mp3 players to include a charger since most have done away with superfluous stuff in the box. Plus the prices of the iPods are very very good value for money now, and if you do get the plug adapter you can use it for any usb device.

Cooome off it. I'm supposed to spend £20 on a charger just for the odd week I'm going to be away from a computer?!

I spent over £200 on an iPod, and I think spending £20 on a plug for it is crap. It's my one and only complaint with the iPod (well the iPod package as a whole).

I believe I spent about £4 on my charger. Works absolutely pefectly too.

Brand new from eBay.

If you say so, it doesn't bother me at all. I've had the ability to send MMS for years like most people but i've only bothered about twice, ever. I just don't think it's as important as a larger flash drive, or 3G.

I'd be more worried about the presence of Flash memory than the size of it. If Apple weren't such greedy buggers they'd have replaced the flash memory with an SD card slot :)

And i strongly agree on the charger front, i was horrified when my sister got her mini and there turned out to be no charger! It's a standard piece of kit, and a USB cable really doesn't cut it with me. Im never far from a USB port, but im always closer to a mains port ;)

I believe I spent about £4 on my charger. Works absolutely pefectly too.

Brand new from eBay.

98p for mine ^^

true though - apple accessories are horrendously overpriced... but look!! the nano comes in BLUE!!!!!!! *geeks out again*

...dammit

Takeo deserves an award for trying to argue that picture messaging isn't important. Go on Takeo, you tell the market how it is.

Since the Iphone they seem to have bitten off more than they can chew. The Itouch is nice(imo even if its expensive) but just reaffirms the Iphone and their marketing is a mess.

and lol at the poeple defending the Iphone. Reminds me of all the people defending the V3 as a smartphone back in the day, lol.

If Apple weren't such greedy buggers they'd have replaced the flash memory with an SD card slot

With SD the problem is you can buy new sizes instead of upgrading every 6 months. They already have 16GB SD cards and 8GB MicroSD. The other thing is companies rarely to tend add it as well as have built in storage. Its ussually one or the other.