NEurope
Guest bluey

Apple Press Conference (New iPods, iPhone price drop)

With SD the problem is you can buy new sizes instead of upgrading every 6 months. They already have 16GB SD cards and 8GB MicroSD. The other thing is companies rarely to tend add it as well as have built in storage. Its ussually one or the other.

Yeah, true.

You'll find that most MP3 manufacturers tend to avoid the ability to expand the memory yourself. It's not a good business decision. It takes the ability to improve the line of their products out of their own hands somewhat, as they can't control the release of bigger capacity cards which might make newer releases of thier players slightly less important (and would effect the value of thier product line too). So it might seem like a gip, but it's about business I guess.

Plus having a SD card slot would go against the design of the iPod, where everything it kept as simple and enclosed as possible.

I like the look of the Itouch but I am not paying that much for it.

I'm not too arsed about Battery because who listens to their ipod for More than 30minutes in a row without having it attatched to a sound system or what not.

Having said that I'll get someone down from the US-Of A to get me the itouch because it does look nifty...

I like the look of the Itouch but I am not paying that much for it.

I'm not too arsed about Battery because who listens to their ipod for More than 30minutes in a row without having it attatched to a sound system or what not.

Erm me lol

For train journeys and when you have to work a long way, shopping trips and general wandering around town when your bored ro waiting for people. You can never have to much battery life as long as it's not at the expense of ther features.

Just though for all the people who want a touch, but are worried about storage space for music, there is a work around.

ShrinkMyTunes

Get 4x the music by shrinking it using advance compression shit and crazy stuff. Only 19.99 too. So just add that to the price of whatever and your sorted.

Each to their own I guess, but I've never had an issue with the battery...It's always been about Space...

I think Apple are just trying to Squeeze more money by putting what seems a Un-Nessesary hardware update in it which is so expensive it's not worth it.

Each to their own I guess, but I've never had an issue with the battery...It's always been about Space...

I think Apple are just trying to Squeeze more money by putting what seems a Un-Nessesary hardware update in it which is so expensive it's not worth it.

What unnecessary hardware?

That Battery Flash Drive Bollocks..

I am watching the Itouch vid on apple.com and I have to admit it's the best thing Apple have come up with...

I want one now....

Just though for all the people who want a touch, but are worried about storage space for music, there is a work around.

ShrinkMyTunes

Get 4x the music by shrinking it using advance compression shit and crazy stuff. Only 19.99 too. So just add that to the price of whatever and your sorted.

Don't pay 19.99 for that. I know exactly how they do it and it's all free tools. If you want me to go into greater detail that's fine, but please don't pay the money. It's easier to do on windows but it's possible on Mac too.

It's not really advanced compression - the sampling rate is reduced and a smaller bitrate is used. On a complex bit of music you'd be able to tell the difference.

Don't pay 19.99 for that. I know exactly how they do it and it's all free tools. If you want me to go into greater detail that's fine, but please don't pay the money. It's easier to do on windows but it's possible on Mac too.

It's not really advanced compression - the sampling rate is reduced and a smaller bitrate is used. On a complex bit of music you'd be able to tell the difference.

I suppose you could do a tester? :heh:

This is what Wired had to say about it.

That Battery Flash Drive Bollocks..

I am watching the Itouch vid on apple.com and I have to admit it's the best thing Apple have come up with...

I want one now....

Erm, no lol The best thing Apple have ever made is the MacBook line <3 lol

But i know what your saying, it's awesome, but the iPhone is just that bit better because it does more, and manages to look better if a bit thicker.

Battery is great on flash drive products just down to no moving parts and stuff. Just that flash drives get very very expensive as they increase in capacity, but thats the world of technology as it stands today. It'll be a lot better next year, we all hope.

I'll happily do a test file for you.

Woop!

Then we can compare to the website's before and after and filesize stuff and see if it's worth 19.99 for windows users :D

itouch >>>>> iphone...

I just don't see the hype in it the itouch does what I want, the iphone does what I want but it's what I've already got in my mobile phone?

Bah Apple have come up with a good alternative I think in the itouch and I will probably get one...

Video + Music + Touch Screen+ Internet Wifi = A Good toy for the boy

itouch >>>>> iphone...

I just don't see the hype in it the itouch does what I want, the iphone does what I want but it's what I've already got in my mobile phone?

Bah Apple have come up with a good alternative I think in the itouch and I will probably get one...

+phone+email+EDGE internet+3G maybe for us+ok 2MP camera = iPhone = superior.

The iPhone is still a better product than the iPod touch and paying $100 US for the extra features are worth it, if your used to having a contract phone.

iPod touch is just the iPhone-less iPhone. So the only reason you think it's better is because it suits your needs more. The actually product is stripped back with an option for double the storage space.

2MP cameras suck and surely because the Touch has safari you have full internet access and therefore e-mail access?

itouch >>>>> iphone...

That's what i would say to.

Takeo i dunno if this is just me but the reason i would rather have a iTouch is becuase i don't want to have to carry something so pricey around in my pocket all the time. I want the option to, with the iPhone i would need it in my pocket all the time even if i'm on my bike and fear i might fall on it. While with the iTouch i can choose when to take it out. Also it has more memory than the iPhone and is thinner.

Just suits different people differently i guess. :smile:

2MP cameras suck and surely because the Touch has safari you have full internet access and therefore e-mail access?

Only when your in range of a free wifi hotspot, or pay to use it. Mail on the iPhone gets pushed across the phone network.

I mean the iphone ia a great idea in prinicple, The Majority of people carry a Mobile phone + Ipod with them, well alot of people my age do.

But at the end of the day I do not use a phone enough for contract and If I was to go on contract I would stick by the phone I have now.

Because a phone like the iphone in my eyes is a product which takes away what is expected but says "But we done this for the first time on a phone".

Don't get me wrong the features they have in the Iphone are brilliant and attractive but I don't want the phone in all honesty, and I don't want to pay for something I wouldn't use...

From a consumers point of view the itouch is a great alternative to those who likes the iphone features but not the phone.

I think Apple have made a good move personally by releasing an alternative beause they would make money from the people Otherwise "Un-Decided" by the iphone purely because it was a phone.

I don't think the itouch with affect how many the iphone sells, but I do think the production of the itouch is very good move.

Thats how I see it anyway

Precisely how I feel my 3.2MP Cybershot phone is what I need, getting an iphone would be a step back in picture quality and what I want in a "phone"

One thing.

It's the fucking iPod touch.

I I Calm Down? :heh:

I think you got the two mixed up, the bottom one sounds higher quality than the middle one and thank you ^_^

Whoops, fixed.

Just so you know where i'm coming from. My ideal phone is all about communication so phone calls, text, full internet anywhere. My ideal music player should store my full music library, podcasts and some of my videos and have at leas a 3-inch screen. iPhone does what i want in a phone really well, and eventually it'll do what i want in a music player.

For now i'm stuck with my N73. Love my iPod still, though watching videos on it isn't the best thing ever, and i love my digital camera. Anything which means less bulky gadgets in my pocket is good. I'll never expect a phone camera to match a decent stand alone camera so i've resigned to having it with me all the time.

Whoops, fixed.

Now how did you do that magic? :P

Just so you know where i'm coming from. My ideal phone is all about communication so phone calls, text, full internet anywhere. My ideal music player should store my full music library, podcasts and some of my videos and have at leas a 3-inch screen. iPhone does what i want in a phone really well, and eventually it'll do what i want in a music player.

I'm the other way around. I want my phone just for calls, text and to be small, hell I wouldn't even care if the screen was black and white.

I'd much rather let my music player take on the roll of convergent device. Music, video and internet. As for integrated cameras, no thanks because they are all crap. I would much rather carry a stand alone camera with me...which I do and that's small and clocks in a sexy 10MP.

I'm the other way around. I want my phone just for calls, text and to be small, hell I wouldn't even care if the screen was black and white.

I'd much rather let my music player take on the roll of convergent device. Music, video and internet. As for integrated cameras, no thanks because they are all crap. I would much rather carry a stand alone camera with me...which I do and that's small and clocks in a sexy 10MP.

So you'd rather still carry around 3 devices instead of 2? Up to you anyway.

Oh good, shrink my tunes. A batch LAME transcoder repackaged as a magical converter for shrinking filesizes to the general public. I hope they don't fall for this.

God this gets worse as I read the site. The FAQ throws around the word "patented" for an algorithm which prides itself on being free and open source.

And the worst part of all, they're trying to charge for this?! Anyone with mild programming experience could do the same in about 10 minutes, that isn't even exaggeration. Infact i'd wager a beginner could do it.