NEurope
Zelda_Rulez

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Fuck yes. I'm looking forward to this. I love you Rising Star! Does that say Arc Rise and Valhalla aswell?

That's great news.. after seeing the video I have been hoping we would see the game over here, particularly since it has inspired me a little for my university project this year!

Looks great :smile:

Fuck yes. I'm looking forward to this. I love you Rising Star! Does that say Arc Rise and Valhalla aswell?

Based on ancient Japanese lore, Muramasa: The Demon Blade plunges players into the mystical Genroku era, ruled by the skilled shogun Tsunayoshi Tokogawa. However, this culture is threatened; Tokogawa’s thirst for power leads to a conflict over the enormously powerful, though cursed, Demon Blades. Used in hatred, drenched in blood, the cursed blades condemn those who use them to tragedy, madness and untimely death. Featuring hand-drawn 2D art reflecting the heritage and tone of the storyline, Muramasa transports players into the mythology envisioned by the creators of the highly praised Odin Sphere. Players take on the role of a male ninja or female kunoichi, utilising their ninja prowess to traverse the clever side-scrolling levels that feature vertical progression as well as the traditional horizontal stage advancement.

Garnering the biggest reaction of the night was the announcement of a sequel to the critically acclaimed Wii-exclusive No More Heroes. Taking place three years after the end of the first title, No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle sees hero Travis Touchdown embark on a mission of revenge following the murder of his best friend. Featuring improvements to the game engine and graphics, Suda51 also promises a far busier Santa Destroy, much darker tone and also a few surprises to come.

“We’re extremely happy with the interest shown for this event,” enthused Martin Defries, managing director of Rising Star Games. “We knew there was a lot of interest in this event from the number of journalists who confirmed their attendance in advance, both through us within Europe as well as on Marvelous’ side, but we didn’t expect the place to be packed out!”

Rising Star Games can also confirm an additional ten titles to be released along with the three on show. Valhalla Knights 2 (PSP), Steal Princess (DS), Luminous Arc 2 (DS), Avalon Code (DS), Rune Factory 2 (DS), Discipline (WiiWare), Hero for 30sec (PSP), Valhalla Knights: Elder Saga (Wii), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii) and Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii) are all planned for 2009/10.

www.gamesindustry.biz

411 Interview - Muramasa: The Demon Blade Producer Yoshifumi Hashimoto

Yoshifumi Hashimoto talks about Muramasa: The Demon Blade, the upcoming Wii action RPG that is being developed by the creators of Odin Sphere.

In recent years, good old-school 2D side-scrolling platformers on consoles have been few and far between. Fans of the genre have been forced to live with the fact that those types of games have been forever relegated to handhelds. New 2D Mario, Metroid, and Castlevania on your television screen? Only in your dreams! Of course, there are exceptions - Capcom has seen fit to "update" some of its older franchises such as Mega Man and Bionic Commando. Nintendo even made an effort to give one of its 2nd-tier franchises (Wario Land) the console treatment. But for the most part, if you're a big fan of the genre that saw the height of its popularity peak in the 16-bit era (some may even argue that it peaked during the NES days), you will spend most of your time staring at a small screen. Except for one or two downloadable games that are set for release next year (Cave Story anyone?), the future is pretty bleak as far as quality 2D platformers on consoles is concerned.

Fortunately, VanillaWare, creator of Odin Sphere and obviously no stranger to visually stunning hand-drawn games, is hard at work creating a side-scrolling action RPG that will help to fill the void. In Muramasa: The Demon Blade, players take control of either a male ninja or female kunoichi and progress through a side-scrolling adventure reminiscent of such classics as Legend of Kage and Genpei Toma Den. Seeing the potential that this game holds for platformer fans, I jumped at the chance to interview Yoshifumi Hashimoto, the producer of Muramasa: The Demon Blade, at TGS last month. Read on to see what he had to say about how the game plays, the differences between the main characters, how the RPG elements work, the story, as well as who the game caters to.

Can you tell us a little bit about who you are and what you do at Marvelous?

I used to work on 2D arcade games at a different company. I went drinking with Wata-san, the director of Marvelous, and we decided to work together. So now I'm at Marvelous. After joining, I worked on such titles as Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, and the new Avalon Code.

What role did you have in the creation of the Harvest Moon games?

Wata-san was the executive producer and I was the Producer.

Odin Sphere?

I did not work on that directly.

Alright. Tell us about Muramasa.

It's a Japanese-style action fantasy RPG. Within the Edo period there was another specific period called the Genroku period, and the story takes place in that time. You'll be able to choose between a male and female character.

What are the differences between the male and female characters?

Basically, the female starts from a place called Kyo - it's where Kyoto is today - and she is going to Edo - where Tokyo is now. So she is going up north, and the male character is actually going down from Edo to Kyo. You'll see a little crossover, like in the middle you'll go through a city and you'll see the other character in the back drinking tea or eating.

So they're basically going in reverse?

When you go through the stages, there are some stages where you'll think that there are supposed to be enemies, but there are none, and you don't know why, but when you play the other side, you'll find out that the other player already defeated that enemy and moved on.

Did you want gamers to play one character first and then the other?

It's totally up to the player.

Will the player be satisfied after finishing the game with just one character?

They'll be satisfied, but if they play it again with the other character, they'll see more depth to the story.

I noticed during your playthrough yesterday that the character's swords can break in the middle of battle. What happens if both weapons break down?

You'll be able to hold three katanas at the same time, but if all three break, you'll have to tough it out. But, your swords will recover after a certain amount of time.

Can you tell us about the RPG elements in the game?

First of all, the demo that we showed yesterday and the one that's on the floor - they are more action-oriented. We just put some of the action stages together. The action part is like the encounter in typical RPGs. So in the real game, you'll fight and then you'll be in a section where you can walk and talk to other people. While there you'll be able to set up your items or change your weapons and then go into another section to fight.

Are there going to be sub-missions and stuff like that?

There will be sub-quests. If you talk to certain people, they'll give you a mission, and it's up to you to fulfill that plot if you want.

Tell us a little bit about the story.

Within this world there are swords called the Demon Blades which possesses special powers. The female and male characters want to obtain them for their own purposes. The Japanese mythological creatures that you find in the game are also trying to gain more power.

Were there any games that you got inspiration from?

There isn't a certain one game that I can come up with. Of course, Vanillaware worked on Odin Sphere, and it took place in a more Medieval time. There are a lot of games that take place in that time, so I though that it would be a nice change - a breath of fresh air - to make a Japanese fantasy and have people learn more about different cultures and different mythologies.

A lot of the 2D games these days cater more to the hardcore audience. Is that going to be true for this game? Is it catered to the hardcore - the ones who played games like the original Ninja Gaiden back in the day?

It is a core game. Not as much as Ninja Gaiden, the old series, but more like Legend of Kage and Genpei Toma Den - something in that sense. It's an action game that everybody can play. It does have some difficulty to it, but its simple controls allow you to do great things.

Well, this question is going to be asked eventually, so I might as well get it over with - did you incorporate any motion control elements into the game?

We did have it in the beginning. We might add a little bit, like allow you to use your remote to put your sword back in its sheath - something along those lines just to make things a little more fun.

Thank you for your time. Is there anything else that you wanted to throw in before we go?

I mentioned at the show yesterday that Muramasa is a Japanese style game - style as in the art-style. Vanillaware and Marvelous wanted to make a fantasy game that incorporated Japanese culture. It's not really geared towards Japanese people. I actually think that people abroad who are not familiar with our culture will enjoy this game more because it will be really fresh for them. Also, a lot of people grew up with the games like that i mentioned earlier [Legend of Kage and Genpei Toma Den], so I think they'll have a kick out of playing this game. Please look forward to it.

Wow, I like the boxart. This game really does look fantastic both in screenshots and in video form. It's been confirmed for European release through Rising Star Games hasn't it?

Wow, I like the boxart. This game really does look fantastic both in screenshots and in video form. It's been confirmed for European release through Rising Star Games hasn't it?
yup! and I believe it was scheduled for 2009 still. (US will have it in summer though)

Not bothered when in 2009 we're getting it as long as we're getting it. So looking forward to this.

I'm really happy Rising Star picked this up, I think i'm gonna stop watching footage of it now. Hope the US and EU dates will be close so I won't need to import.

This game is gorgeous! So, so beautiful! Looks fairly decent too... I'll be picking this one up!

I'm really happy Rising Star picked this up, I think i'm gonna stop watching footage of it now.

Yeh.. same here.. I've seen more than enough to make me want this badly :bouncy:

The only thing I will look out for is the odd review score just to see if people are liking it.. but I don't want anything else spoilt :heh:

You might want to contain your excitement, you won't be seeing it until late 2009/early 2010 over here.

Would be so sure about that. It's out in April in Japan, out in the summer in the US so it's entirely plausible for it to see release in the Fall over here. I think it's been confirmed for 2009 european release. Will make a fantastic xmas release.

Those backgrounds look so amazing, seriously this has got be my most anticipated game at the moment.

I love 2D games. And damn, when they look as good as this...

I'm glad to know it's being released here. I just hope it's not too repetitive, but with new powers, moves and enemies everywhere it doesn't seem the case.

Has it been confirmed that this will support a GCN controller as well as Classic/Wii Remote?

1UP: In what ways does the game use the Wii's motion controls?

GK: We talked about it regarding the controls and concluded that keeping the classic controls for side-scrollers will best fit this game. That's why this game will be using the Classic Controller. Currently, we do not have plans to use the motion sensor, but we are in talks about adding some feature enabling it.

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3170405

Don't know about the GCN controller, though. Didn't find any sort of announcement regarding this, but I assume the game won't support it.

Really looking forward to this game. I simply love the Japanese art style and it looks awesome.

But can we use the Wiimote+Nunchuck in classic mode anyway? (no motion controls) Like Smash Brawl?

But is it toned down with less functionality with just the wiimote? Or do you need the classic controller for better gameplay?