NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Twozzok

Scientology now a criminal organisation in Belgium.

http://www.vrtnieuws.net/cm/flandersnews.be/News/070904_Scientology

The chance is real that several leading figures in the Church of Scientology in Belgium could be issued with court summonses. The Federal Judicial Authorities plan to prosecute the church for being a criminal organisation that has defrauded its members.

The judicial authorities opened their investigation into the Scientology movement in Belgium back in 1997, after having received tip-offs from ex-members of the church.

All aspects of the Scientology Church's practises were gone through with a fine tooth comb. Now the ten-year investigation has come to a close. A total of twelve people all from the Belgian branch of the Church of Scientology or from the organisation's European Bureau stand accused of a list of offences. Those accused are all high up in the Church's hierarchy.

They are accused of having formed a criminal organisation, blackmail, deception, unfair trading, and practising medicine illegally and having broken Belgium's privacy laws.

If the court now follows the public prosecutor's lead, this will be a world first. In some countries like the United States, the Church of Scientology has official recognition. At no time has the Church faced a prosecution of this kind from a country's legal authorities.

The Church of Scientology offers its followers pricy courses to allow them to develop their spiritual skills. Critics speak of "brainwashing". The organisation counters criticism by pointing to its high profile followers like Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

Emphasis mine.

Awesome.

EDIT: By Scientology (in the title), I mean the Church of Scientology. I couldn't care less if you decided to believe in aliens on the moon taking over the planet or whatever.

edit for link.

there's a small error in the article being that the investigations started in 1999, not in 1997. hence is has also been a 8-year investigation, not a 10 year investigation.

cults are legal in belgium, but you have to play nice. and on a side note: the scientology hq is situated in brussels, no 100 meters from the european parlament.

I thought the worldwide HQ was based in London?

i mean the belgium hq. the point of it being that it's next to the european parlament, which happens to be a highly prestigious and expensive street. all the major banks and cabinets are situated there. it's funny to see some cult residing there too.

i mean the belgium hq. the point of it begin that it's next to the european parlament, witch happens to be a highly prestigious and expensive street. all the major banks and cabinets are situated there. it's funny to see some cult residing there too.

Ah, I get you. My mistake.

Scientology...........................................................................................What a load of shit!!!

I think this is bad but before the flamethrowers come out let me finish.

Banning something makes it a scapegoat and makes it special in the eyes of its believers its also a reactionary response.

We should have free and open discourse with scientology believers and debate their beliefs with them, this just as a poster above said opens up a whoel can of worms.

scientology isn't being banned at all. the criminal actions of some of their high-ranking members are being prosecuted. crimes, in this case, that have nothing to do with people debating their beliefs with eachother.

scientology isn't being banned at all. the criminal actions of some of their high-ranking members are being prosecuted. crimes, in this case, that have nothing to do with people debating their beliefs with eachother.

Ah ok then thats good news.

We should have free and open discourse with scientology believers and debate their beliefs with them, this just as a poster above said opens up a whoel can of worms.

I don't have a problem with them believing what they want to, personally I think their views are bizarre but whatever floats your boat, its their dubious activity and effective brain washing which I have a problem with.

Hmm is it the church or the religion that's banned?

If it's the church, that's not too bad.

If it's the religion, then that's really appalling. I may see them as bat-shit crazy, but they're still entitled to believe.

Scientologists are scum. I don't like them, they are scum. I've yet to see a scientologist I've liked, they've all been arse holes.

Yes, they can believe what they want, but they won't leave it at that will they? Scientology, and it's followers are shit.

It's not the religion thats been criminalised, that'd be stupid.

It's the Church, that's what makes Belgium my new favourite country.

It's not the religion thats been criminalised, that'd be stupid.

It's the Church, that's what makes Belgium my new favourite country.

All the little (non Eastern) European countries are better than any other.

Sign in to follow this