NEurope
tapedeck

Tapedecks Rant: Do Nintendo fans have an appreciation or an arrogance over gaming?

I don't think it's an arrogance with the majority of people, it's a preference. The likelihood is that most Nintendo fans have at some point played other consoles but they realise that they don't like the games. I own a 360, and whilst I really like the console and the few games that I have, it can't compare to my Wii and all the good games and features that I know are coming later this year. For me it's a preference. I don't own Nintendo's consoles because I think to myself 'OMG SONY ARE CRAPXORZ', I just prefer their games. They always seem to have a unique charm that draws me in.

Well said Tellyn. The Nintendo Charm factor is what keeps me playing on their consoles and their games have a certain magic that no other company can really capture.

I play on my 360 a hell of alot more than my Wii as I prefer traditional games than the new type that the Wii is featuring. When they do come along such as Super Paper Mario, Mertroid, Mario Galaxy, Smash and all the others then I will be back on the Wii in no time.

This isnt to say that I totally dismiss these so called non games as I really like the look of Endless Ocean. The ones that dont do it for me are the likes of the Brain Training games. Its all down to what a person sees as being fun.

Yea. I've lost count of the amount of anti-Nintendo comments on these forums. Microsoft is mentioned in good books most of the time, and Sony seems to be hardly mentioned anymore.
That's actually exactly part of my point, but exposed better.
In regards to ignorant gamers, I usually dont mind hearing what other people think about gaming but when people come on various message boards and think the Wii is gold while completly dismissing the 360 purely because they only have a Wii it really gets on my nerves as both are quality machines. Sure I know most people can only back one horse but you shouldnt mouth off about a thing that you have never played on.
I've seen the opposite to be honest, like people creating thread saying "hey look, I'm buying a Wii" with the first comments trolling around with "hey get a X360 instead", not to mention I've also felt it shoveled up my face a couple of times by people that think I should (wish to) be like them, and how they supposedly have a clearer vision (etc) and I didn't like it. It strikes me as arrogant.

Also for the record, I don't think I've ever felt that kind of vibe coming from you, aswell as a lot of X360 owners out there, but I've really felt it more than once for others who took it too far; I also just can't get Microsoft's blind fan following as a company, but that's just be.

I don't think I've ever bad mouthed it though, and I've certainly played it.

I play on my 360 a hell of alot more than my Wii as I prefer traditional games than the new type that the Wii is featuring. When they do come along such as Super Paper Mario, Mertroid, Mario Galaxy, Smash and all the others then I will be back on the Wii in no time.
Not trying to start a console war (even as you didn't say one is better than the other or viceversa), but X360's first year was pretty poor when it came to games, it's just that the console is "mature" when it comes to development now, my point being... I don't attribute that on the Wii to mini-non-gamer compilations although I'll agree there are too much of those right about now, I think there's plenty coming and that Wii is no lesser hardcore console than the X360, time will tell the rest, but the whole "deluded with Nintendo" argument is a myth for me at least for now since I'm getting more good first party titles than I got through GC's first year.

I also have my queries and worries (online features is one of them, I think we should let third party's do what they want with them) and all, but games aren't in the list and if sales logic works we should be getting more and more of those this gen.

Nintendo fans definitely have an arrogance over gaming.

Hey, you take that back right now or so help me God I'm going to...

I consider myself a nintendo fanboy. Ive grown up with Nintendo's consoles and the only reason is that I believe that Nintendo have always led the way with innovation and creating 'new ways to play' and making overall fun games (wii mote, DS touch screen, analogue stick, portable gaming, 3D games that worked seemlessly - even bringing gaming to the masses by creating 'a games console').

However, this does not mean I Hate all other game studio's and wish the other consoles were damned to hell. I have a huge appreciation for what Sony and Microsoft (moreso the latter, which pains me as an Apple fan :heh: ) have done with their consoles this generation and what 3rd party studios have created on them. When I first played my mates PS3 on a brand new HD TV I could see they had achieved what they set out to do. Graphically, absolutely stunning and an incredible oppurtunity to create superbly immersive gaming environments. However, as nice as this was, I still felt Nintendo had created something new with the Wii. And overall, I have a greater appreciation for people who are willing to take risks to be different to what's expected for the sake of diversifying entertainment and making gaming fun all over again.

Saying all this, I always give a game a chance myself, regardless of what console, format, studio, genre of game, etc.

To answer the thread title's question, I believe both are true. There are huuuuge grey areas in the nintendo fanbase but it only seems to be the black and white that people notice. If a game (on any console) is fresh and exciting, and everyone had a chance to play it, I reckon 95% of people on this forum, and others would play it. The 5% of those who do wish every gaming studio would disappear are the extremists and tend to be the ones who make all the noise... They are the Taliban to the Nintendo Fanboy's Afghanistan.