NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
willowtheory

Totally new to xbox 360

Hi

I've never owned an xbox or 360 before but i am looking in to buying one now! I've been looking at getting the premium console from play for about £220 and the new pro evo game when it comes out, but beyond that i dont have a clue what else to get with it.

So my main question is, can anyone reccomend any good games, accessories, or bundles, and where the best place to get them from is?

Thanks in advance

I joined the 360 'group' in feb and i think there is loads of good games out there. Depends what u like really. Bioshock is a great game that has just come out(which i have just started playing). Other games ive played and recommend include gears of war, rainbow 6-vegas, crackdown, condemed, command and conquer 3 and many more. Quite a few good games u can get cheap now (for example condemed is £9.99 on gameplay).

Defo go for the premium console over the core system.

Shop around for console/game bundles. The 360 deals in Game and Gamestation are a bit lousy at the moment - check your local Virgin and HMV store for some uncharacteristically decent bundles.

Get an elite, much better value.

And game wise:

Kameo

Gears

Bioshock

Blue Dragon

Dead Rising

Halo3

Crackdown

Get an elite, much better value.

And game wise:

Kameo

Gears

Bioshock

Blue Dragon

Dead Rising

Halo3

Crackdown

Elite is only better if you have an HDTV and need 120gigs of space. If you dont want to buy movies etc then you really dont need it. (Except its black and thats cool.)

I must admit, I'm very new to the 360 myself. I got one last thursday for my birthday. My parents were willing to splash out for an elite, definitely worth the extra little bit of money.

As someone said above, HMV have some uncharacteristically good bundles. I was looking at the Bioshock & Blue Dragon bundle form GAME for £330, but when I looked in HMV, they had it with Blue Dragon and The Darkness for £300, so I bought Overlord with the saving, and my bro then phoned up later that day to say he was buying me Bioshock for my Birthday! The elite actually does come with a few other things that the premium doesn't, in as much as it has a ton of arcade demos already on the hard drive. I've only had it 4 days, and I've already used up 2GB in demos and save files, and I've only downloaded 2 demos (Sonic and N3).

As far as games are concerned, I could recommend all 3 of the titles, the only exception being Blue Dragon. I love it, but I'd only recommend it if you like JRPGs.

P.S. I'm not gonna put up my gamertag until I have it hooked up online properly (had to run an Ethernet cable through the whole upstairs just to download 2 demos).

edit: the elite also looks awesome. with my Wii next to it, it's like good and evil side by side...

Play and Charge kit is a must.

Rainbow 6 Vegas

Crackdown

Gears of War

Blue Dragon

Geometry wars

Loads of arcade games to get.

find-games.co.uk

finds the place with the cheapest price. I've used it a few times.

Not when you have these! :yay:

Seriously, I chuck these in my 360 controller at the start of the day, play for most of the day, plug 'em into my computer at night, they're charged by the next morning.

Not when you have these! :yay:

Seriously, I chuck these in my 360 controller at the start of the day, play for most of the day, plug 'em into my computer at night, they're charged by the next morning.

lol, Thats fuckin immense, going to get me some of those!!

I'd be very cautious about plugging those in to the 360 USB ports myself. I treat my 360 like a new born baby. lol

I'd be very cautious about plugging those in to the 360 USB ports myself. I treat my 360 like a new born baby. lol

I don't plug 'em into my 360, 'cos my PC actually still powers the USB ports on the front of the case even when it's off. I've been using them since the Wii's launch, and they haven't caused me any problems whatsoever so far, which considering how much I could have spent on batteries in that time...I think it was probably the best idea I've ever had.

I do, however, know people who have used them in the 360, and they've had no problems either, so I wouldn't worry.

when I looked in HMV, they had it with Blue Dragon and The Darkness for £300

Is this deal in store as well as online. I'm tempted to go down and pick one up.

I like my plug and charge kit. My battery pack seems to last aaages.

Glad you decided to JUMP IN!

Bioshock

COD 4 When it's out

and if you can find it cheap Burnout Revenge

As said a Play and Charge kit is an absolute must and a 2nd Wired controller wouldn't go amiss either

Is this deal in store as well as online. I'm tempted to go down and pick one up.

as the resident HMV employee yes it in store as well, you have to take Blue Dragon as one of the free games but can choose from a choice of 5 other games...

Just been looking at gameplay, I didn't realise the core wasn't backwards compatible? does this mean it never can be, or once its connected online with hard drive it can be upgraded to do so...

as the resident HMV employee yes it in store as well, you have to take Blue Dragon as one of the free games but can choose from a choice of 5 other games...

Just been looking at gameplay, I didn't realise the core wasn't backwards compatible? does this mean it never can be, or once its connected online with hard drive it can be upgraded to do so...

Since the XBOX360 simply emulates the original, it needs 8GB of caching space (the size of the original xbox HDD) hense you only get 12GB of space on the 20GB HDD.

Since the XBOX360 simply emulates the original, it needs 8GB of caching space (the size of the original xbox HDD) hense you only get 12GB of space on the 20GB HDD.

ah right, so getting a HDD for the core would allow emulation...

I'm thinking of getting a 360, simply must have Bioshock, but my girlfriend won't let me pay that much for a premium (trying to save up for a flat, so can understand her point) so likely will either get a preowned premium cheap or a new core and build up the stuff over time...

Gears of War, Rainbow 6: Vegas, Bioshock and Project Gotham are all great games from my experience.

I took the plunge and bought an Elite with Blue Dragon and The Darkness. I'm not sure what other games to get though. My old flat mate had an Xbox so I've already played though GoW, Dead Rising, NFS MW, GH2 and some other's I've forgotten. :heh:

Bioshock. Blue Dragon. Halo 3. Project Gotham Racing 4. Mass Effect. Assassin's Creed. Lost Odyssey.

That's your year sorted there, mate.

cheers thanks for all the tips on games, and the usb power cells! I was gonna plunge for an elite, but i'm a bit strapped for cash to be honest. And the only thing tempting me to the elite is the bigger hard drive, but i wont be downloading movies or anything, so i think i should be alright with the premium

ah right, so getting a HDD for the core would allow emulation...

I'm thinking of getting a 360, simply must have Bioshock, but my girlfriend won't let me pay that much for a premium (trying to save up for a flat, so can understand her point) so likely will either get a preowned premium cheap or a new core and build up the stuff over time...

Smack her in the face, and say " this is my money, bitch!"

Wireless controller + P&C kit = Wired controller

Buy a wired controller, then you'll be able to do multiplayer too

I just use 2700mAH rechargables, afaik these last longer than a play + charge kit and i got 4 and the charger for a tenner! Then i keep a wired controller for those moments where i manage to kill all 4 batteries at the same time :)

I'm jumping on the 360 bandwagon! I'm not certain yet, I really procrastinate when it comes to spending money, and this is a lot of money. Basically I'm bored of my Wii, I have nothing but Zelda and Wii Play and Mario Galaxy and MP3 are a ways away still (not that I won't be getting them). I need to feel like I'm part of the current gaming generation and my PC doesn't cut it anymore! (Well OK, Bioshock looks immensely good, but other than that).

So, an elite. I want a really good deal. I want Gears - and on release, Skate, Halo 3 and Naruto. Other than that I've got nothing I'm desperately after.

£330 with Blue Dragon and Stranglehold at Play.com looks nice but I might just have to go browsing the high street....

Arg! I want!

Sign in to follow this