NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Twozzok

You know the picture canadian/aussie cigarette packs have?

There is no point trying to change there opinion people, just respect their wishes. As long as they don't blow the smoke right in my face I'm happy.

Just wondering if anyone knows whether cocaine does more harm to you than smoking cigarettes? Lets say a line every weekend if going out.

Cocaine does far more damage as its effects on the body are much more profound. People can have heart attacks after doing a line due exertion on the heart. And if the heart is weak, then even more so..

Mentally probably, possibly even physically. It's also a lot more addictive than nicotine.

I always thought nicotine was the most addictive of all drugs? Its just that in cigarettes its in minute quantities? (/me is too lazy to Google)

My opinion is that the majority need protection from the minority. The vast proportion of studies show there is harm in passive smoking and that there are health related problems associated. Thereby its selfish for the minority to cause ill health to the majority. Mr O summed it up pretty well though.

I will say though that I hate going out now and smelling the stench of sweat instead of smoke. I'd rather smell smoke :(

I always thought nicotine was the most addictive of all drugs? Its just that in cigarettes its in minute quantities? (/me is too lazy to Google)

That could possibly be right, all I know is after a line of coke you're more likely to be thinking 'omg need more' than after a fag.

Fake Edit: never done coke, this is coming from pretty much everyone I know who has, even then I could be wrong.

Cocaine does far more damage as its effects on the body are much more profound. People can have heart attacks after doing a line due exertion on the heart. And if the heart is weak, then even more so..

You're talking about a miniscule minority there though, more people in the world would die from eating peanuts than snorting one line of coke.

Nicotine, like a lot of other recreational drugs, is extremely toxic and a pure dose would kill you. If you're talking a safe to ingest versus addictive properties ratio no way is nicotine the most addictive drug in the world.

My opinion is that the majority need protection from the minority. The vast proportion of studies show there is harm in passive smoking and that there are health related problems associated. Thereby its selfish for the minority to cause ill health to the majority. Mr O summed it up pretty well though.

To be honest it's all down to genetics, some people are more susceptible to certain things than others. Some smokers can live a full healthy life with no ill effects whatsoever, just like one pill of ecstasy will kill the odd person, it's all down to family history and what members of your family you share genetic traits with.

I will say though that I hate going out now and smelling the stench of sweat instead of smoke. I'd rather smell smoke :(

What would you rather, stink of BO or take the chance that your genes are cancer resistant?

I wonder what the reaction was when the threats of smoking was first discovered probably FUCK by the scientist and I dont care by everyone else

I wonder what the reaction will be when you first realise what punctuation marks are. Probably FUCK.

That's because it is, just one more step towards a police state.

The anti smoking brigade should be even heavier about cigars really, as you don't inhale (or at least not meant to) you're polluting the air around you without poisoning yourself.

Police state? WTF are you on about? The majority of sane people, backed by the government, wanted the smoking ban. I'm actually surprised you can still smoke on the street.

When we can't play games or have a chocolate ration, then complain about a 'police state'.

I wouldn't of thought being restricted of the power of filling your lungs with smoke and staining teeth would make a country a 'police state.' The USSR and Nazi Germany didn't ban it, they were police states.

And asshat, stop being an arse lick.

Police state? WTF are you on about? The majority of sane people, backed by the government, wanted the smoking ban. I'm actually surprised you can still smoke on the street.

When we can't play games or have a chocolate ration, then complain about a 'police state'.

I wouldn't of thought being restricted of the power of filling your lungs with smoke and staining teeth would make a country a 'police state.' The USSR and Nazi Germany didn't ban it, they were police states.

Do you know what freedom of choice is?

The minute that gets taken away then it is the first steps toward a police state.

You may not like the facts, but here's a fact for you, the government fully supports you filling your lungs with toxic fumes every day, that's why they haven't banned the use of the motorcar in public places, or restricted the building of factories, both of which spew out more carcinogens than any amount of smokers you could fit in the same amount of space.

You are just a tosser, I'd put it down to the age thing, but I can easily see you becoming a bigger tosser with each passing year.

Now, why don't you go back to your bible studies and learn how to be a good little boy, and try to ignore the bits where it tells you that because you follow their religion that automatically makes you a better person.

Do you know what freedom of choice is?

The minute that gets taken away then it is the first steps toward a police state.

freedom of choice doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. it means you can act on your own council within the range of law. there are many laws that protect people from their own choices, that doesn't mean their freedom has been stained by a repressive regime. each democratic government decides it's own range, and since it's the people who elect the government it's also the people who limit themselfs to certain choices. that's how representation works. a police state is when unelected bodies of government make decisions for the people.

Freedom of choice is also choosing to go into resteraunts and not passively smoke.

I've reported your post, but nothing is ever done. And at least the toxic fumes from cars have the purpose of transporting people, unlike cigarettes which do nothing.

Give me tosser over smoker any day.

What ever keeps people from dying and their loved ones losing their parents, aunties uncles etc etc

Oh god, your full of shit. Hypocrite.

More and more of these messages can only be a good thing.

freedom of choice doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. it means you can act on your own council within the range of law. there are many laws that protect people from their own choices, that doesn't mean their freedom has been stained by a repressive regime. each democratic government decides it's own range, and since it's the people who elect the government it's also the people who limit themselfs to certain choices. that's how representation works. a police state is when unelected bodies of government make decisions for the people.

Yeah, like an elected government body has never done anything against the wishes of the people.

To be honest being elected doesn't even mean they have the backing of the people anyway with amount of people who actually vote these days.

Freedom of choice is also choosing to go into resteraunts and not passively smoke.

You had that choice before the smoking ban came in to place, or at least your parents did when they took you for your happy meals.

I've reported your post, but nothing is ever done.

I wonder why that is?

And at least the toxic fumes from cars have the purpose of transporting people, unlike cigarettes which do nothing.

They do make cars that don't run on fossil fuels now, you know.

What am I thinking, you don't know jack shit, you have the intellectual capacity of a gnat.

Give me tosser over smoker any day.

Look in the mirror then, that should keep you happy.

Yeah, like an elected government body has never done anything against the wishes of the people.

To be honest being elected doesn't even mean they have the backing of the people anyway with amount of people who actually vote these days.

You had that choice before the smoking ban came in to place, or at least your parents did when they took you for your happy meals.

I wonder why that is?

They do make cars that don't run on fossil fuels now, you know.

What am I thinking, you don't know jack shit, you have the intellectual capacity of a gnat.

Look in the mirror then, that should keep you happy.

I haven't had a happy meal in a month.

Oh, and I did know cars have been made which operate without fossil fuels. I just can't see why they should be so expensive.

The intellectual thing is rich coming from someone who destroys their lungs regularly.

It could be worse, could've been called an idiot.:awesome:

I haven't had a happy meal in a month.

And did you have carrot sticks with that?

Oh, and I did know cars have been made which operate without fossil fuels. I just can't see why they should be so expensive.

Change costs, as quite a few landlords are finding to their expense.

The intellectual thing is rich coming from someone who destroys their lungs regularly.

You can only destroy your lungs once, even I know that.

It could be worse, could've been called an idiot.:awesome:

Sometimes the obvious really isn't worth stating.

And did you have carrot sticks with that?

Change costs, as quite a few landlords are finding to their expense.

You can only destroy your lungs once, even I know that.

Sometimes the obvious really isn't worth stating.

I love you, rokhed. Not only because no-one has put up one as good in a long time, its against a grown man! What do you expect me to say now?

I love you, rokhed. Not only because no-one has put up one as good in a long time, its against a grown man! What do you expect me to say now?

Something that makes sense would be good.

Something that makes sense would be good.

OK, I'm sorry dude, you can smoke and do whatever the fuck you want, it's a free country.

Just needed an argument, and have let it out my system now. Smoking, to me, isn't personal- I don't know why I acted as if it were.

Lets just keep our distances from now on though, eh?

Agree to disagree.

Regarding the smoking ban (in pubs at least), I think it should be up to the pub owner.

Blackfox - Don't forget to protect the minority from the majority! Protection is more than just about health, it's about freedom, and as you may have noticed, smokers are the kind of people who like to have their freedom. I could spin off a mega-unbalanced analogy about health-vs-freedom in a horrible world, but that would be a bit silly.

UK - Tsk. Giving up?

Twozzok - Agreed!

Yknow the smoking debate can go one way or the other. Smokers are addicted so they will always try to justify what most of them know is a mistake. Non-smokers are pissed at the very possibility that they could get lung cancer from an inconsiderate smoker. But the thing that really gets me is the way smokers ignore the facts. Even in this thread, the smokers are responding to all the easy things: "I could die some other way", "x is just as much of a sin as smoking", "No, you're an ignorant ****". And ignoring all the important posts.

Here's my favourite post from the thread, which the smokers have completely ignored. The last line was my favourite.

There are very few that eat fastfood everyday, but many that smoke every day. Nearly everyone eats junk food now and then, many fewer smoke, so the number of deaths attributed to smoking is particularly shocking because it comes from such a small percentage of the population.

The leading causes of death in the US in 2004 (according to the CDC) were

Heart disease: 654,092

Cancer: 550,270

Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 150,147

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 123,884

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 108,694

Diabetes: 72,815

Alzheimer's disease: 65,829

Influenza/Pneumonia: 61,472

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 42,762

Septicemia: 33,464

The American Heart Institution says that

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4545

"Cigarette smoking is the most important preventable cause of premature death in the United States. It accounts for nearly 440,000 of the more than 2.4 million annual deaths"

If about 10% of the population is doing about 20% of the countries dying something is up with that.

Uk- tsk giving up?

Don't start me again, and stir things. Yes, I have given up.

But the thing that really gets me is the way smokers ignore the facts. Even in this thread, the smokers are responding to all the easy things: "I could die some other way", "x is just as much of a sin as smoking", "No, you're an ignorant ****". And ignoring all the important posts.

Here's my favourite post from the thread, which the smokers have completely ignored. The last line was my favourite.

The debate's gone back and forth and around because both smokers and non-smokers are aware of that. I know cigarettes can cause cancer, infertility, harm my pregnant baby and so on - it's on the packets.

What non-smokers don't get is that you can actually physically and mentally enjoy smoking, and that sometimes I like to enjoy things. Yes, I'm taking a risk in doing so, but it's my choice. Lots of people do things that hurt/will harm them; Smokers, drinkers, those tattood or pierced, people who go to clubs often, inhaling paint fumes 'cause you're a painter-decorator, eating fast food, too much salt, too much this or that, people who take drugs, drink lots of caffiene, ballet dancers and their feet and SO on.

Smoking doesn't kill every smoker. Awful viewpoint, but true.

Yknow the smoking debate can go one way or the other. Smokers are addicted so they will always try to justify what most of them know is a mistake. Non-smokers are pissed at the very possibility that they could get lung cancer from an inconsiderate smoker. But the thing that really gets me is the way smokers ignore the facts. Even in this thread, the smokers are responding to all the easy things: "I could die some other way", "x is just as much of a sin as smoking", "No, you're an ignorant ****". And ignoring all the important posts.

Maybe we just don't care about the health risks, I know I don't, I have the genes of a man that smoked 40 a day unfiltered for over 70 years, and died of natural causes.

Describe to me fully the enjoyment you get from smoking. I won't be home til about 6 so you have plenty of time.

And Emo, don't forget that time you told me "actually I don't feel much from smoking anymore, I have to have loads just to get that feeling everyone gets their first time, I just do it now because I feel like it will help".

Yeah you said that.

maybe.

Sign in to follow this