NEurope
Dante

Wii Is The Fastest Selling Console In U.K History

The Nintendo Wii has become the fastest-selling games console in UK history, with more than one million consoles sold since it was released in December, latest figures show.

The Wii passed the milestone just 38 weeks after going on sale, 11 weeks faster than the PlayStation 2 took to reach this target, and 22 weeks faster than the Xbox 360, according to Chart Track, an independent sales tracking company for the gaming industry.

The console has taken the gaming world by storm, thanks to its innovative motion-sensitive control system and family-friendly games, such as Big Brain Academy and Wii Sports, in which you use the "wiimote" to participate in games of tennis, bowling and baseball.

The sales figures are particularly impressive because the Wii was in short supply following its much-heralded launch just before last Christmas [ie, Xmas 2006], and has only recently become easily available again.

David Yarnton, general manager of Nintendo UK said: "The non-stop demand for Wii, even in the traditionally slow sales period for video games in the UK, is clearly behind this record-breaking achievement.

"With the increasing number of unique software titles for the system from Nintendo and third parties, [the Wii] is being enjoyed by both avid and new gamers of all ages."

It is another blow for Sony, whose latest console, the PlayStation 3, is lagging behind both the Wii and Xbox 360 in terms of sales.

The next-generation device, which offers high-definition gaming and an integrated high-definition Blu-ray DVD player, has been criticised for its high price (around £400), and has suffered from slow sales in the UK.

Around 165,000 PS3 consoles, which went on sale in the UK in March, were sold in the first two days, but sales fell by 82 per cent in the second week, according to Chart Track.

www.telegraph.co.uk

More money in MY pocket. That is my reason to celebrate this blessed day.

Now this is the news I love to hear, Nintendo back on top and doing better than ever. It's raises a smile to hear about the difficulties of a certain over priced console...

The Wii passed the milestone just 38 weeks after going on sale, 11 weeks faster than the PlayStation 2 took to reach this target, and 22 weeks faster than the Xbox 360, according to Chart Track, an independent sales tracking company for the gaming industry.

So that would mean . . . *does quick calculation* . . . One Wii sold every 23 seconds. Wow!

It's all down to me :D :D

The Wii is the first proper console I've bought brand new - before I'd only had a second hand Megadrive a couple of years back, and before that it's just been PC/Amiga/Spectrum gaming.

I'll expect a cheque in the mail from Nintendo ;)

So that would mean . . . *does quick calculation* . . . One Wii sold every 23 seconds. Wow!

I don't know how, but I managed to get the same number as you. That's a lot of Wii's.

Putting it this way, 1 in 60 people in the UK have a Wi.

Figures released today courtesy of the UK’s leading independent music, video and software performance and sales tracking company, Chart Track, show Nintendo’s home console ‘Wii’ is now being enjoyed by over one million people in the UK, becoming the fastest ever selling home console in UK videogame history to reach this milestone. Wii has passed the one million sales figure in just 38 weeks, some 11 weeks faster than the Playstation 2 which took 50 weeks to pass the million selling milestone and 22 weeks faster than Xbox 360 which took 60 weeks to reach one million UK sales.*

Just like Nintendo DS, Wii has been selling irrespective of the traditional video game industry’s seasonality. As the customer bases for Nintendo DS and Wii expand, it is not only traditional gamers but also new and expanded audiences who do not care about seasonality or launch dates of new games who are buying DS and Wii. This unprecedented trend has been created by the disruptive and revolutionary nature of Nintendo DS and Wii. In addition, the range of software titles which are available for both systems are clearly appealing to both avid gamers and new gamers of all ages.

Going into the crucial Christmas season, Nintendo’s momentum shows no signs of slowing down with a recent week’s UK console market shares for Wii and Nintendo DS Lite standing at 68% and 86% of the home and handheld console markets respectively – further highlighting Nintendo’s resurgence in the UK video games market.***

Commenting on the performance of Wii in the UK, David Yarnton, General Manager, Nintendo UK said:

"The non-stop demand for Wii even in the traditionally slow sales periods for video games in the UK is clearly behind this record breaking achievement. The performance of both systems appears to indicate that unprecedented interactive entertainment experiences, provided by a combination of the revolutionary nature of DS and Wii with the increasing number of unique software titles for the system from Nintendo and third parties, are being enjoyed by both avid and new gamers of all ages.

With more great games such as Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Endless Ocean launching in 2007, Wii, together with Nintendo DS, will continue to be the main driving forces behind the expansion of the video game market this year."

Nintendo’s Touch! Generations range, a selection of innovative software titles designed to appeal to people of all ages and gaming experience, even those who may have never even played before, features a raft of already hugely successful titles including Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training: How Old is Your Brain?, Big Brain Academy, 42 All-Time Classics, Nintendogs, Electroplankton, Sudoku Master, Actionloop and Tetris DS.

UK console market shares for Wii standing at 68% of the home console market

My God! I didn't think the Wii would have that much market share in the UK... and isn't it growing too?!