NEurope
Retro_Link

Little King's Story

Okay, so... I defeated Shishkebaboo first (best boss ever), because I managed to somehow miss the entrance to the Jolly Kingdom and...had my first permanent casualties :sad:

I have to trust they'll appear at the beach someday, but until then, I need to ask: do I still retain the items they had equipped? I just realized I never actually checked if I still had them.

Also, did Shishkebaboo have a God memo? Because I didn't see any.

Edited by Jonnas

You keep any equipment your dead grunts may have been using when they died. I was worried too when I had my first permanent casualties.

The way they dress in funeral attire is the best thing.

I'll admit I haven't played for a while. Damn chicken guy annoyed me too much.

Little King Story Sequel for PlayStation Vita

Marvelous Entertainment is working on a followup to Wii's Little King Story, and it's for PlayStation Vita. This week's Famitsu has first details on the game, whose Japanese name translates to "The King, The Demon King and the Seven Princesses: New King Story."

Only a few bits and pieces have leaked out of the magazine at present. It appears that the game will have love elements, along with new visual stylings for its characters.

Check back later in the day for additional details.

Abit sad that CiNG isnt around anymore to develop this game.

Edited by Dante

Am I missing something here? Why does this need to be on a handheld? In fact, this is the last game I want to play on a handheld. You need to spend a fair bit of time playing it to work out what you need to do, there's a lot of to-ing and fro-ing and...it's fucking hard. Why would you want to play this on the bus to school or work in the morning? You actually need to sit down and concentrate. In addition to this, with the current save system, you need to go back to your castle to save. The formula for this game was great.

To make it work on a handheld, they'd need to change something, which could upset the balance.

Very poor decision to put this on the Vita, in my opinion. They risk alienating the Nintendo crowd by doing this, seeing as it was a fan favourite. The least they could do (if they go the handheld route) is to put this on the 3DS, as well.

Why does it have to be on a handheld? Why did Valkyria Chronicles 2? Because it's significantly cheaper to develop for handhelds, of course. :heh:

I'm not sure why you don't think Little King's Story would work on handhelds. I think there's room for all different kinds of games. It's not like they can't change things for the sequel. The save system in the first game sucked, anyway.

Because in third parties minds is that Nintendo handhelds arnt doing well in Japan for awhile now also "ChunSoft Developing 999 Successor for Vita and 3DS - ie Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die"

I love how you just snuck this in in a completely unrelated thread. This is way more exciting than any Little King's Story sequel could ever hope to be. :hehe:

That is a sick joke right? Please say the 3DS gets a port it would be a system seller for me.

Seriously, .....

.....Seriously.....wait......

WTF?????

:weep::angry:

That is a sick joke right? Please say the 3DS gets a port it would be a system seller for me.

Obviously, you need to get a Vita now. ;)

Frankly, I'm kind of hoping for a WiiU-Port. That is, if this turns out to live up to the original. From the information Andrisang had so far, it seemed they weren't sure if this would be a true sequel or some kind of update of the original.

With a new visual style for the sequel and with CiNG not on board I reckon this will be quite a different game to the first anyway... even more so if it's only going to appear on a handheld.

Strange choice though, given I imagine the VAST majority of Vita owners will never have heard of the game before... therefore there's no guarantee it will sell well... unlike the original on Wii, which sold well has a real fan following.

Weren't the creators of the original recently let go and so maybe they've transferred to start working on that project? Or would it be likely that they've just hired new people to produce a sequel?

If I was a prospective Vita owner, I'd feel pretty fucking patronised by the visual overhaul.

Why does it have to be on a handheld? Why did Valkyria Chronicles 2? Because it's significantly cheaper to develop for handhelds, of course. :heh:

I'm not sure why you don't think Little King's Story would work on handhelds. I think there's room for all different kinds of games. It's not like they can't change things for the sequel. The save system in the first game sucked, anyway.

I love how you just snuck this in in a completely unrelated thread. This is way more exciting than any Little King's Story sequel could ever hope to be. :hehe:

Significantly cheaper, but at what cost to the game? Just because a game can be placed on a handheld doesn't mean it should. Not at all.

It won't work because it's primarily a home console experience. It's not a pick up and play game. When you play, you put in hours of your life at a time. That's the nature of the game. Unless you're going down the route of seeing handheld gaming as "a home console experience in your hand" which is not what it should be. Handheld gaming should be portable, something you can play on the go. Electroplankton, for example, is perfect. Would not work on a home system.

Anyway, judging by that first scan, it doesn't have the same instant charm the original had. I certainly won't be picking up a Vita to play this.

Handheld gaming is by its very definition portable. :heh:

Not everyone wants bite-sized gaming. Games like Persona 3 Portable, Radiant Historia, Trails in the Sky (really, most RPGs), Zelda, Ace Attorney and so on are all games that require a certain time investment, and people seem to like them anyway. Not every handheld game has to be Angry Birds.

As for the scan, I wouldn't have known that was a sequel to Little King's Story if it hadn't been posted in this thread. :hmm:

Oi, not slagging it off at all.

Just stating that a handheld gaming experience should be unique and different to that of a home console experience. Or else, why use handhelds? What pisses me off is this:

1. They are releasing this game on a handheld when it has made its fame as a home console game. Its quite a busy game where lots of things can be happening on the screen at once, particularly in intense battles. Touch screen controls can be good, yes, but they'd have to alter a bit more than that to either make the game less hectic, or so you can see more on the screen. (are you telling me that you would find it easy to control 17+ members of your party, also actually seeing them when they're in battle against multiple enemies, walking past buildings, interacting, going through different terrain, etc).

2. They are releasing this for the Vita. Bad move and not a great way to treat the fanbase who bought the original.

3. They're already changing things such as the art style, which is the charm of the original.

I love handheld games, but games which made use of the best features of handhelds and make for portable and different experiences.

Ultimately, I'm just fucked off with Konami for this bullshit move.

Just stating that a handheld gaming experience should be unique and different to that of a home console experience. Or else, why use handhelds?

For gaming on the go? :p

I still say there's no reason we can't have both kinds of games. You can play Electroplankton for five minutes while you're waiting for the bus, and some other time when you're on a long train ride, you can play something deeper. Just like how some days you're just in the mood for a few Smash Bros. matches, while other days you want to spend six hours playing Xenoblade.

But yeah, maybe this particular game isn't the best example. It looks... different. Could be good, I guess. Doesn't really look a lot like Little King's Story so far, though.

-100 love points for Jim slagging off handheld consoles

Oh no! Quick, Flink - flash her your penis! :sad:

That's only gonna make things worse! :mad:

That's only gonna make things worse! :mad:

Quick, Flink - flash her someone else's penis!

For gaming on the go? :p

I still say there's no reason we can't have both kinds of games. You can play Electroplankton for five minutes while you're waiting for the bus, and some other time when you're on a long train ride, you can play something deeper. Just like how some days you're just in the mood for a few Smash Bros. matches, while other days you want to spend six hours playing Xenoblade.

But yeah, maybe this particular game isn't the best example. It looks... different. Could be good, I guess. Doesn't really look a lot like Little King's Story so far, though.

I'm not saying that strictly handheld games need to be short, sharp games. Metroid Fusion is a game that I spent hours on, playing in bed. Why does it work? Because its not difficult to see what the hell you are doing, its a side-scroller for a start which makes it simple to see the path you're heading in, controls were tight, visuals were bright and clear (yet still moody when needed) and audio worked a treat.

Compare this to Metroid Prime: Hunters. A "technical marvel" but the game played like leprosy. It simply wasn't an experience you could have in the palm of your hand, it felt like a scaled-down version of a game you've already played, rather than feeling like its own. Which is exactly what I don't agree with in regards to handheld games. They should feel like their own experience. It should be unique to that of a home console.

Maybe this game isn't the best example, but lets think about it for a second. Is this game being done because:

1. It can be beneficial having it on a handheld console to provide a handheld experience?

2. Is it being done simply because it CAN be done on a handheld. (so, they may as well)

If its the second, then its just simply wrong. I...don't really see how anyone can argue with that.

;) will do.

On the subject of handheld gaming, although I prefer home consoles, the DS has been by far and away my favourite handheld.

I'm not saying that strictly handheld games need to be short, sharp games. Metroid Fusion is a game that I spent hours on, playing in bed. Why does it work? Because its not difficult to see what the hell you are doing, its a side-scroller for a start which makes it simple to see the path you're heading in, controls were tight, visuals were bright and clear (yet still moody when needed) and audio worked a treat.

Fair enough. It was just that when you said that Little King's Story wouldn't work on a handheld you said that the reasons it wouldn't work were that it was complicated and required a significant time investment, which I didn't agree with. If you want to argue that Little King's Story in particular (and not longer/more complicated games in general) wouldn't work on a handheld, I'm not going to disagree with you.

I see your point about Metroid Prime: Hunters. Usually this happens when a publisher gets a second-rate developer to make a handheld game in a home console series. You end up getting a game that plays the same as the other games in the series, but worse, and looks the same, but worse. Metroid Prime om the DS could have worked (just like Fusion worked, despite being similar to Super Metroid), but Hunters just wasn't a good game, period.

As for the sequel to Little King's Story, I really do think it's just being developed for the Vita because it's cheaper. Looking at the scan, it's clear that no one involved with the sequel has played the first game. :p