NEurope
RedShell

Wii is market leader!

untitled1au1.gif

Vgchartz.com, the most comprehensive Videogame charts in the world has announced that lifetime sales of Nintendo's Wii have passed Microsoft's Xbox 360 on a worldwide basis as of August 23rd. (*)

Two years ago, very few analysts would have predicted the Nintendo Wii would be market leader this generation against the established Playstation and Xbox brands. But analysts can be in error: Vgchartz.com data, which is based on sample data from retailers all over the world indicates that the week ending August 23rd Nintendo's Wii (which was released one year after the Xbox 360 in November 2006), currently standing at 10.57 million consoles sold, passed Xbox 360 lifetime sales of 10.51 million units, making Nintendo the new market leader in both the home and handheld videogame console businesses.

As weekly data from vgchartz.com shows(**), the console outsold Microsoft’s Xbox 360 by a margin of 2.3 : 1 worldwide on average each week since its release, selling at an even faster rate than the most successful console ever created, Sony's Playstation 2, despite still being sold out in most major markets.

This is the first time that a company has been market leader in the home console and the handheld market since 1994 when Nintendo’s Super NES and Gameboy dominated worldwide.

Vgchartz.com is proud to be first to announce this major sales cross over as an independent tracker of sales and expect this to be a milestone for the current generation. In just two years, home console sales for the three major manufacturers have effectively reversed. This will have a large impact on third party publishers and will undoubtedly influence the decisions they make in the future.

One factor that has no doubt helped Nintendo's Wii to gain so quickly is the console's broad appeal across all age groups, demographics and countries. Current sales are pretty evenly split between the three major markets – 3.46 million have been sold in Japan, the American market (including Canada and South America) accounts for 4.24million and Other markets (including Europe and Australia and a few niche markets) for 2.87 million units sold, respectively.

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=508

That's quite a feat, that many consoles in so little time. Well done ninty!

Is a victoly?

Nintendo will never cease to amaze me. What would have been if they had released another hardcore console? Its like they were forced to kick ass.

This is a historical moment for the Video Games Industry..Nintendo is again in the "Pole Position" of the home consoles!After the Snes, the Wii Took the first place again and i think will have it till the end of this generation.

Bravo ninty!!Now tell the 3rd parties to give us more Top and exclusive Wii games!

I really did think it was going to happen before now, i thoguht it was selling faster. Probably the hardware slowdown thingy problem.

'gratz.

Well I thought that was obvious by now. Even if it wasn't We all saw it coming.

This is historic though This has never happened before.

A company who once owned the industry,lost it and then won it back again.

A comeback has never happened before I believe

Hopefully the PS2 will hurry up and die so we can stop getting PS2 ports. Although saying that, a GTA triple pack with GTA3, VC, and SA with redone controls would not be unwelcome

would be interesting to see how many games have been bought to each console. because although selling consoles is good. selling games is more important.

ive got 5. considering i got my gc on launch day and only got 9 games thats not bad going.

Maybe Nintendo will officially claim this in a few weeks. I bet they have internal sales data for not only Wii, but competitive systems as well...

Btw, was N64 ever market leader?

They should have a sizeable advantage come the end of the year, what with Christmas and killer apps and all.

Nintendo are back!!

Isn't it a nice feeling that the coompany which most of us are fans of is back where they rightfuly belong!! Leading the games industry!

I still wouldn't discount MS of Sony yet, but Nintendo's performance has to be commended!

In all Nintendophile fairness, I don't believe these numbers to be accurate... Would elaborate with links to approximated sales from not so long ago, but have to study now, so no time.

You think the third partys could at least try to do a good a job as Nintendo. Perhaps the truth is that very few of them are capable of doing that. I mean, what other company would be able to make a game like Super Mario Galaxy?

Wow! That is pretty amazing! Congrats to Nintendo! I don't understand why though, the Wii is my least favorite console of 'em all.

Wow! That is pretty amazing! Congrats to Nintendo! I don't understand why though, the Wii is my least favorite console of 'em all.

Your the same as me Mashmellow. I love Nintendo to bits but so far the Wii has yet to deliver for me. Great news though!

I feel the same as most other people here - it's great news (even though the figures aren't necessarily accurate), but it's about time more third party companies recognised the fact that the Wii is more than just a PS2 with waggle.

Nextgen wars satys otehrwise: http://nexgenwars.com/

However, I do believe hat both Microsoft and Sony quote shipped units as sold. Personally I think Nintendo should start really playing on the fact it's the best selling system and blow their own trumpet a bit.

I for one hope Nintendo go from strength to strength now. I think Christmas will be a hard fought battle between the Wii and 360 with the PS3 pushed ever further toward the fringe of gaming.

With Mario and Halo and the 360 price cut it's going to be VERY tough going for Sony, and if they don't do soemthing soon it'll be GAME OVER for the PS3.

After all, it's being outsold in every territory by the Wii and everyhwere but Japan by the 360. It's losing ground by the month, I for one think it's about time.