NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Wolf

Final Fantasy VI

I bought it in February on the GBA and I still haven't finished it :indeed:. I don't see what all the fuss is about really:

I usually hate RPGs when the characters walk in "squares"

The amount of random battles is too high (this has turned me off from quite a few RPGs such as Skies of Arcadia)

There are a few pluses though:

Great characters

Interesting plot

Combat system is ok

I just can't seem to get stuck into it :wtf:

Thoughts? (No spoilers please)

I loved it as a kid. I played it on the SNES with a US-PAL converter. Most games were converted fine but FF VI (or FF III as it was then) had strange artifacts like blacked-out textures and the like.

Didn't stop me finishing it and loving every moment. I've been very tempted to buy the GBA version to relive those memories, but it's quite pricey and I'm not entirely sure I'll enjoy it as much.

I also loved Skies of Arcadia. I suppose random battles don't bother me much. Especially if they have good music.

I have just bought all the GBA/DS FF games so now I can play them all at my leisure, however finding the time to do so isn't easy! I'm really looking forward to FF6 tho, the retrospective on gametrailers.com made it look so awesome. I haven't played any of the 2D FF games before though.

I have the GBA version too. It's not my favourite FF, but it's definitively the best SNES/GBA FF. The summon/magic system was awesome. So other than the overrated story it's a great game.

i really liked it, i like how the story splits the gang up and you can bassicly design your own dream team. was a bit annoyed when you had tyo make 3 teams, knowing that i had a godlike team, a mild team and a dear god they are weak team.

i loved the caracters and the story was pretty cool. random battles are a part of rpgs, just be thankfull it never has anything like oing througha cave in pokemon and having a zubat every 4 secs.

i really like ffVI, about asmuch as VII, i think there were alot of great ideas.

Final Fantasy IV was the second best Final Fantasy I have played, with VI coming in first (I have played all the way up to XII by the way).

I don't know why, it just has something thats so good about it

Thought I might update my earlier post by saying that I DID buy it on GBA and I started it earlier this year. It's a sublime experience - everything about the game is spot on. It's the pinnacle of square RPGs and it always will be for me.

There were so many great ideas. Some of my favourite moments:

Celes forced to stand-in for the Opera singer.

Ultros boss (the octopus) turning up again and again (not irritatingly so).

Recruiting the ghosts on the haunted train to be on your side during battles.

Floating Continent music and time limit.

I could go on. I'm in the World of Ruin at the moment, trying to get all my friends back. Just have Locke, Relm and Strago to go...

For me, FF peaked at VI. The random battle encounters were a bit on the heavy side but there were a few items you could find to alleviate that (Moogle charm i think?). Despite that, it still has IMO the best characters, music , battle system, and villains of the entire series all wrapped up in a

load-time/cinematic-free package

The cinematic-free experience is something I'm very grateful for, after finishing FF7 recently.

Update - Mild Spoilers

I've been playing this on and off for a while now. I think I got as far as the last dungeon when I played this on the SNES back in the day and then gave up.

I've now recruited everyone back into my party except the character from the Floating Continent which I stupidly left behind.

I'm fairly determined to finish it this time. I've defeated all the dragons and levelled up my characters to a decent degree. I am not collecting all the espers though. With a few godly relics, I'm now ready to face the last dungeon. Bring it!

Hey Patch. I had FF VI on the GBA on a few weeks just to mess about in it for a while- great game! You really should be going after those final espers but hey, that leaves you something to aim for when you start a new file at a later date. :wink:

Weren't you tempted to play it seriously al the way to the end?

I've logged over 30 hours now, so I'm quite keen to move on to Chrono Trigger and Chinatown Wars. The espers will have to wait until a year when I have no games to play (as if that will ever happen!).

I'll probably update this thread again if I finish the game.

I was only really playing my file that I had saved before the opera scene. :heh: Annoyingly, only two of my save files work as the first slot always corrupts! No doubt cos its a counterfeit cart off ebay. :(

*awaits Patch's epilogue post*

*awaits Patch's epilogue post*

And here it is!

My copy of the game has corrupted the first save slot once. And it's a genuine cart. Weird.

So I finally finished the game. With considerable ease thankfully. All the levelling up, dragon and esper hunting paid off. For example, Celes could cast magic twice per turn, any spell would only use 1 MP and she had learnt Ultima. Two ultimas per turn makes short work of bosses, never mind regular enemies. :smile:

The final boss reminded me that I did indeed complete the game on the SNES. This time round, I only had a missing Shadow in the end sequence - a possible incentive to play it again in the future?

Beating the game unlocks a Music Player so you can listen to all the tracks in the game. Ace!

Right, on to Chrono Trigger and then my youth-revisit is done!

Sign in to follow this