NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jackster

The Linux Thread

I use ubuntu on my desktop at home.

I've got XP and ubuntu on there but I'm mainly on ubuntu as it's so much more stable and just a nicer OS in general.

It is a little DIY though. I had a few problems getting my wireless card working with ubuntu but there are plenty of tutorials online to help you out if you get stuck.

I still keep xp on my system though as there are a few things I can do on there that I haven't bothered setting up with ubuntu yet. I'm having a lot of trouble getting my webcam working with ubuntu for example. Also my ati card can spaz out a bit occassionly, nothing crippling or restart-worthy, just noticeable.

Overall it's great though. much better than xp and I'd swap over completely if it were more supported.

sudo make everyone try ubuntu.

You want Ext3 and a linux swap but you don't need to do this with Partition magic, ubuntu will do most of the work for you when you install from the liveCD.

Yeah, Ubuntu will do the job for you.

You probably want to make the Ext3 partition about 19GB and the Swap partition 1GB. Remember that you will only be able to store files on the 19GB of Ext3 partition, the Swap partition is reserved for the system to use should it need extra memory.

Ok well I got my dual boot installed fairly easily. I had to download Gparted as Partition Magic 8 kept throwing up errors. I also created my various linux partitions manually in the end. I am using a wide screen monitor with a radeon 9800 pro and for some reason can't get a widescreen resolution. Thing is, I'm not really sure where to begin with getting it working, any ideas?

I don't understand :shakehead

Sudo is a command used in unix/linux, it basically says "Linux, do this now"

Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with the smaller distros such as Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux?

sudo is short for super user do, it temporarily elevates privileges for the next command you enter

Sign in to follow this