NEurope
Maiky-NiSuTe

Paramount Drops Blu-Ray

Dammit, will you people make up your minds? Every time I start feeling good or bad about my 360 HD DVD purchase, news comes along that flips things all around again. I was just starting to regret it once again and now Paramount announces they've decided to back HD DVD exclusively after having spent some time leaning towards the Blu-ray side of things. The motivation? Rumor has it that a $150 million exclusivity agreement has been reached that includes everything but Spielberg films for some reason.

Serious folks, this has dragged on long enough. Just stop f***ing with us consumers already? At this point I am so disgusted I'd rather just buy movies on DVD and be done with it. Hell, I'm amused by YouTube videos, why do I need hi-definition picture and sound anyway? I say we all just quit and form traveling bands that perform movies in people's house in exchange for room and board.

Don't invest in either yet, problem sovled, well unless you're buying a PS3 but just don't invest in anything purely for the Blue-Ray or HD DVD yet.

I watched a blu-ray movie for the first time a few days back (league of extraodinary gentlemen). I didn't notice a difference between it and a normal DVD. Am I the only one? (btw this is not against blu-ray, I'm sure I'd havr thought the same thing if it was on HD-DVD)

not getting either blu-ray or hd-dvd until i get a hdtv anyways so wont be a while yet. Hopefully by then all this stupid war will be over

Never watched a Bluray or a HDDVD yet, and unless I buy a PS3, I won't for a while. I'm not jumping on board one side, just purely because the law of sod will bite me in the arse.

Hmm, and I thought Blu-Ray was 'winning'. More fool me, if studios like Paramount are jumping off the bandwagon.

Of course, they could just do BOTH, but that would be too easy now, wouldn't it?

Hmm' date=' and I thought Blu-Ray was 'winning'. More fool me, if studios like Paramount are jumping off the bandwagon.

Of course, they could just do BOTH, but that would be too easy now, wouldn't it?[/quote']

Actually, quite a few are doing both now.

I watched a blu-ray movie for the first time a few days back (league of extraodinary gentlemen). I didn't notice a difference between it and a normal DVD. Am I the only one? (btw this is not against blu-ray, I'm sure I'd havr thought the same thing if it was on HD-DVD)

Was probably a shit transfer then. Which given the quality of the film is more than likely.

I don't own either, and don't plan to get a player for either anytime soon. I'm very happy with my regular DVD collection, when one of them "wins" and becomes "standard" that'll be the time to make the move (and hopefully they'll be more affordable at that time)

(though secretly i'm backing HD DVD, just so we laugh at Sony for pulling another "Betamax")

I'm fine with DVD's at the moment. The jump between DVD and Blueray/HD DVD isn't as significant as VHS, infact most people won't really think its astounding unless they have some ridiculously large and expensive TV, and by that I mean the extreme top end +50".

However, they do have the ability to include a vast amount of extra features that can be viewed in a variety of manners for example you could watch a film and in a small window watch the feature on how they set up that paticular scene or see the storyboard, etc.

They also have the ability to connect to the Internet through the player unit meaning some special features are 'limitless' being that the label could release content for you to access during it's physical release, available to those only who have purchased the DVD. Similar I suppose to CD's having online multimedia content that was the rage for a small moment.

In all I buy movies to watch the actual feature so I'm fine watching normal, cheaper DVD's even though my laptop has the ability to play Blueray.

Maybe when they are reasonable priced which will probably never be at the moment they are nothing but extortion.

Hoh hoh. This must be a punch in the face for Sony. I dont get why they want to risk loosing lots of time and money, instead of reaching an agreement. I blame Sony.

HAHAHA....Paramount went with HD to start with didn't they?! :heh:

I really hope that if there's a winner it's HD. Though it hasn't looked likely lately.

Paramount (and Dreamworks) dropped Blu-Ray for 18 months because of a small $150 million incentive. As much as I dislike Sony, these companies didn't drop it because it was rubbish. Linky

Personally I think both formats are completely unnecessary and give very little over standard DVD's. especially for the price. The reason why DVD was so successful is because it was a huge step beyond tapes. There's very little that actually needs or massively benefits from the extra storage.

i own a 360 and it was only 150,- to buy a HD DVD player for it. on the other hand buying a PS3 (a console equal to the 360) costs me 600,-.... 150 < 600....

ps hardly any one sees the diferance between the too

Paramount (and Dreamworks) dropped Blu-Ray for 18 months because of a small $150 million incentive. As much as I dislike Sony, these companies didn't drop it because it was rubbish. Linky

Personally I think both formats are completely unnecessary and give very little over standard DVD's. especially for the price. The reason why DVD was so successful is because it was a huge step beyond tapes. There's very little that actually needs or massively benefits from the extra storage.

Let's not forget that Sony also uses financial incentives to pull studios/stores towards BD. This is just the HD-DVD camp using the same tactics but now there's a "YOU PAID THEM?!?!?!" criticism, which somehow never landed at the feet of Sony.

They gave us the dying Minidisc format, dying atrac format, dead betmax format, killed Lik-Sang, killed RipIt4Me, infected us with rootkits and then sold us CDs with copy protection so that we couldn't rip them to our sony mp3 players. Good work fellas.

Don't invest in either yet, problem sovled, well unless you're buying a PS3 but just don't invest in anything purely for the Blue-Ray or HD DVD yet.

Pretty much.

I'm fine with my normal dvd's. The jump in quality isn't worth the money you have to pay.

Totally disgaree.

Anyone who has the chance to watch Planet Earth (HD/Blu-ray) or King Kong (HD-DVD) would realise the difference is huge.

Also Animation films look spectacular on it, like Ant Bully etc...

You just have to pick the films carefully, don't bother with ones which wouldn't really use the HD to it's full ability.

Tech board?

As I see it. This is more of a discussion about studios and the films they release on each format, rather than the techincal merits of each format.

HAHAHA....Paramount went with HD to start with didn't they?! :heh:

I really hope that if there's a winner it's HD. Though it hasn't looked likely lately.

I hope HD DVD wins, actually HD DVD playes have consistently out sold Blu-Ray players (even including PS3 sales).

However Blu-Ray disks have actually outsold HD DVD disks.

SOURCES:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/119634/h...hreetoone.html

http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertain...leid=874044456

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...nterparts.html

One story from april, one from june and one from july all stating the HD-DVD players are outselling Bluray Players.