NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

PES 2008 Pro Evolution Soccer

If done right, it could be the best football game ever. The graphics look excellent too, with a more realistic look than the next gen versions. I hope they don't have the optimizations that the PS2 versions now have, you know, flat painted on crowds in normal view which looks like something from an N64 game.

but for the sake of fun, I'm alright with it.

Agreed. I'm hoping this will deliver a decent online experience with my Wii. Talking of online, why doesn't Nintendo improve the network with an update?

Agreed. I'm hoping this will deliver a decent online experience with my Wii. Talking of online, why doesn't Nintendo improve the network with an update?

What kind of improvement are we talking about that can be updated? Cause I don't really see what can be done.

Surely it's the games, and not the Wii which is the problem with online?

What kind of improvement are we talking about that can be updated? Cause I don't really see what can be done.

Dunno about the technical hoo-hah, but the PSN has had atleast 2 network improvements that I am aware of. I think a driver can do it, my Mac Mini wasn't really picking up my wireless conn or it would then it would disconnect, but a simple driver download solved all that and now I'm getting almost full bars.

Dunno about the technical hoo-hah, but the PSN has had atleast 2 network improvements that I am aware of. I think a driver can do it, my Mac Mini wasn't really picking up my wireless conn or it would then it would disconnect, but a simple driver download solved all that and now I'm getting almost full bars.

mmm I'm not aware of any problems with Wii's wi fi that need to be fixed.

Hate football, but i like the fact there using the wii-mote so that this is a totally original football game for a change.

My bro might buy it...

That's not what the PSN update does, it brings additional functionality in the fancy interface it as, makes it more Xbox Lively. That's nothing Nintendo would do, and it's not really necessary as far as I'm concerned.

Haven't seen me in a while:heh:

anyways some good vids on

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=2773

*scroll to the bottom of the page*

2 New videos Celtic vs Rangers and Brazil vs Italy

Looking really good, probably the next Wii game I get. Might I add the comentary is surprisingly good for a Pro game. 2D crowds are a tad annoying though but overall graphics are looking sharp.

Enjoy the vids their quite long, might take a while to load.

: peace:

This sounds awesome. I am only worried that next years versioin will be even better

Add to this the fact that you can actually import up to 16 Miis

create player runs on the fly. Simply point at a player, hold A and drag a line for him to follow and he'll start to make his run.

but can you dribble with the nunchuck manually?

the commenty sounds like ISS2 rehash (which is a good thing)

the commenty sounds like ISS2 rehash (which is a good thing)

A joke surely? Mark Lawrenson's wooden ramblings in ISS2 made even the sleepy pair of Trevor Brooking and Peter Brackley sound exciting. Hopefully they'll get a better performance out of him if they are to insist on using his services, but I don't expect much myself....

Still, sounds like this'll be fantastic.

I took a couple of screens of the Menu..

The first shows all the Game Modes, obviously.. but I was drawn to something in the second..

PES2008Menu.jpg

PES2008PlayerSettings.jpg

Look at the 'Pass Type'. It is set there to automatic but presumably it can be changed. Is this in reference to the fact the game decides whether it hits a high pass or a long pass? Being able to decide for yourself is something I didn't think was possible, but with this screen I am thinking otherwise. What do you think?

I think it's looking great!

Yeah, that looks much better than the amateurism of PES2007 and earlier! I really think this'll be my next addiction after Brawl.

Yeah, that looks much better than the amateurism of PES2007 and earlier!

?

Surely, you aren't talking about 2006. When I look at the plays you could do there, and compare them to the staleness of what was shown in those two vids, I feel like throwing up.

Well my bro is going to buy it, so i will have a go at it...Not exactly 'excited' about it though! Hopefully i'll be able to beat him at his own game, as it's impossible too on the PS2/PS3 versions...:indeed:

Surely, you aren't talking about 2006. When I look at the plays you could do there, and compare them to the staleness of what was shown in those two vids, I feel like throwing up.
I was talking about the menu design.

To be honest the game does look amazing, I can't wait to give it a go. Going to be very interesting! I'm dying for it to blow away the competition and become the new standard of football game!!!

PS As an aside, is there away for there to be the simple game of football that normal pro evo has AND this! So anyone can play but when you get better you can experiment with the added dimension of moving places into space and passing into space?

After following this avidly (and being a pro evo nut) I have to say I just don't know what to think about this.

The graphics look like they are basically PES2008 (PS2 version) (maybe a little crisper) and I'm sure the engine will be basically the same. I actually find PES2008 (next gen versions) to be VERY poor in relation to PES6 (and the ps2 pes2008) so I'm hoping this has the PS2 stable of stadium selections/team editing etc.

I really believe PES6 to be the pinnacle of the series and I hope this brings with it an avid fanbase. I just hope it is really pushed. it's a new way of playing (again, Wii!) and so it really deserves the advertising push. (Oh, I hope it also has January's transfers in it).

And does anyone else think that, with this version coming so late, it will now be the same (if) we get a yearly update? (Wii version always several months after PS3/360 versions...)

I think that, if this'll prove succesful, we'll get in sync with the other versions, as well as more effort in the technology department. And, hopefully, an option to use the bigger of the other PES games.

I think Konami is seeing this as an experiment, both in controls and in sales, so I'm really hoping this will succeed in those areas, or at least do reasonably so we could have a more perfectioned successor.

You're probably right, but what annoys me is publishers rleease the games as 'tests' on the Wii with majorly stripped down modes.... it sells bad and they use that as a reason not to concentrate on the wii! What the fuck?!?! Maybe if they put in all the modes and features as the other versions IT'D SELL MORE COPIES!!!!!!

Anyways, I've got a good feeling about this. Hope it sells very well and I can't wait for the next version!!

You're probably right, but what annoys me is publishers rleease the games as 'tests' on the Wii with majorly stripped down modes.... it sells bad and they use that as a reason not to concentrate on the wii! What the fuck?!?! Maybe if they put in all the modes and features as the other versions IT'D SELL MORE COPIES!!!!!!

Anyways, I've got a good feeling about this. Hope it sells very well and I can't wait for the next version!!

Yeah I feel the same. We should be getting all the normal features as well as everything extra they want to experiment with. There is no excuse when the PS2 version had such a rich feature set...

:blank: name any examples of games that have been unnecissarily stripped down for Wii?

I meant to say this being an experiment, as obviously PES is a never ending series introducing a revolutionary RTS football control scheme. Therefore, it'll probably be the pilot in a series of perfections.

:blank: name any examples of games that have been unnecissarily stripped down for Wii?

Funnily enough, the first one that springs to mind is EA's FIFA08. That was certainly purposefully stripped of content to fit in with their "casual" gaming departments' business plan for the Wii. There's no technical reason whatsoever to explain the lack of any kind of focussed single player content. They did it because they had their ideas of who the average Wii gamer was, and obviously they came up with the further idea that he didn't want involved gaming.

Idiots.