NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

PES 2008 Pro Evolution Soccer

im back lol, its ace like i said, i 100% agree with the 90% reviews its very good, but not perfect defending wise, after playing this for a good few hours going back to pes on ps2,360,ps3 feels very strange, and the new controls feel almost natural to me now, but fellow pes players need to understand this is a different game to the normal pes experience and you need to give it time like i did to get the controls and how the gameplay differs.

ive unlocked a special mode wii fans will love ;) after completing the international cup :) i wont spoil it for you but its v cool and funny,

i cant wait for the pal release so i can go online and play all the modes :)

ps i live in cornwall ;) where bouts u coming down to,? as im part of a local gaming club and ill be playing pes and smash brawl :) in the next few meetings,

Don't know, some stupidly posh hotel and going to the Eden project - all text book stuff :)

What's the gaming club? Where's it held and what games? Sounds pretty cool!!!

Smash and Pro evo? Now you're just showing off ;)

PS So defensive controls are still pretty bad then?

in penzance i live lol, i dont run the gaming club but meetings are tuesdays usually and on a huge projector , usally play competitons mario kart ,wii sports and stuff its awsome, im sure smash and pes will blow people away, there is a website too,

defence controls are ok, but compaired to the attack controls they are a bit basic, im sure they will work on them and in a couple games times the wii will have the perfect version of the beautiful game :)

okay well i just put it in and have only done the training so far so cant comment on gameplay.

the bad news is edit mode is a joke. you can change player and club names but nothing else. Cant make any transfers and squads have not been updated with january transfers. I gonna be editing the names to english most of the night so probably wont play many games.

how do you run fast? Also freekicks and headers feel totally random. controls take real time to get use too. defending is hard!

okay well i just put it in and have only done the training so far so cant comment on gameplay.

the bad news is edit mode is a joke. you can change player and club names but nothing else. Cant make any transfers and squads have not been updated with january transfers. I gonna be editing the names to english most of the night so probably wont play many games.

how do you run fast? Also freekicks and headers feel totally random. controls take real time to get use too. defending is hard!

Hope you get to grips with it and post impressions soon.:yay:

Already knew about Edit mode though a bit annoying but oh well.

..you mean.. I can't give Torres long hair? :eek:

That is annoying and I can't really understand why they would take transfers out of the game.. other than to make sure you come back and buy it again next year :hmm:

The gameplay and online better rock..

okay played some more and i am enjoying it so far. pushing up your defence for offside is great stuff. hardest bit is getting your defenders to go and tackle. Sometimes they dont react quick enough.

Passing is good and the fact you can pass to anyone you want is a big plus. Not convinced about shooting yet. I would prefer some kind of power bar.

update.. Shooting seems way too random for me. Don't feel like I am in control of where I place my shots. Konami are lazy fcukers man.. some of the transfers from last summer are not even done.

PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2008 (Wii)

IGN REVIEW 8.6

8.5 Presentation

The menus are slick, the design is totally revamped for Wii pointer usage, and it feels like a truly unique and console-specific package.

8.0 Graphics

Models look decent, animation is well executed and fluid, but there are moments of PS2-ness throughout, specifically when looking at crowds, hair, net movement, and the like.

7.5 Sound

Some well executed commentary throughout, but no player-specific comments or direct mentioning of teams or nations. Music is all original, with no licensed tracks.

9.0 Gameplay

Pro Evo has changed the game of soccer, hopefully forever. Pointer control blends speed and fluidity with unprecedented strategy, and it’s an extremely rewarding innovation.

9.0 Lasting Appeal

Online, Wii-mote player trading, Wii Connect 24 team data sharing, Mii mode, Chaimpions Mode, full team/player editor, leagues, and cup play. Wow.

Great OVERALL

(out of 10 / not an average)

Closing Comments

Ever since the curtain was pulled back on Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 for Wii, we knew it was going to be something special. The integration of IR into a sports game has been extremely minimal so far, but is absolutely ideal in this situation, allowing players to not only play the ball specifically, but direct traffic and precisely move every player on the field in tandem, making for the most realistic, strategic, and intuitive soccer experiences we’ve ever seen. It’ll take a bit of time to learn the basics, but Pro Evo is extremely rewarding, is hands-down one of the top sports titles on Wii. The game trail blazes with a new design, capitalizes on proper Wii usage (minimal waggle here, with a huge emphasis on the pinpoint precision of IR), and adds a flood of features such as Wii remote player trading, Wii Connect 24 “Invitation Matches” that let you play AI-controlled versions of your friend’s career team, full online with random opponents and friend play, and on-field Mii integration.

This game is not only filled with modes and options, but it’s filled with the right modes and options, and that’s what makes it a must-have sports title on Wii. Yes, it has some issues to iron out, such as the somewhat clumsy defense system that doesn’t let you take direct control of just one member of the team, and the fact that the game’s new design makes it a hybrid of play calling and multi-task control (no traditional mode here), but in the end we’d take this design of Pro Evolution Soccer for Wii any day. If every design took the time to truly innovate on Wii as much as Pro Evo has, the console would be in a whole other league. The bar has just been raised.

Another Take

from Matt Casamassina

Finally, a sports game for Wii that makes the end experience smarter, not dumber. No arbitrary waggle just for the sake of waggle. Just really intelligent IR implementation for soccer bouts overrun with strategy and big plays. The learning curve is steep, but if you stick with it, you will be rewarded with one of the most innovative and altogether fun sports offerings in years.

Can't wait for this, should be fantastic! I just wish other developers would try and innovate with their games as much as this game has, really looks like Konami put some serious effort and thought into this.

What is this... weird feeling? I want a football game?

Does not compute.

great review nice to see that its getting good ratings from a number of sources. only over a week to go!

This game is already out here but I can't get it until I work some overtime to get extra cash to buy it. I haven't bought a futbol game since ISS 64. This game will be great.

This game is already out here but I can't get it until I work some overtime to get extra cash to buy it. I haven't bought a futbol game since ISS 64. This game will be great.

Same here, ISS64 rocked. I haven't really got into a footy game since. But this is getting very good reviews, hopefully it will come out as the best version of the 3.

This game has only one negative:No Online 2vs2* games wich means No Groups No Team games.I had pes 6 for pc and the 2v2 group or fun games was really enjoyable!But the controls are so revolutionary that i will get this and cant wait to compete online with this new control method!I guess even the veterans will have Big problems a their begging!

Because I've always wanted a Pro Evo on a Nintendo console (pal), I'll keep an open mind and get this...Unfortunately though Brawl is occuping most of my time.

The gameplay and online better rock..

Don't expect too much. PES6 on 360 experienced minor lag, PES2008 is almost unplayable at times. Hopefully Konami have sorted it out by the release of this game.

I'm pretty sure the Drogba one won't apply for the UK version. This is because in other versions of PES, Drogba was on the cover in the French version instead of Henry/Terry/Owen on the PES versions.
Yeah you're right, seems like there are a few variations:

pes08boxesxb2.jpg

I think the one with Drogba is the best, due to the inclusion of the Wii Remote / Nunchuck. Wonder if there are any more though?

I might create my own version, with Raúl or Torres. Maybe make Ronaldo a bit smaller too. :heh:

1UP Review B (80%)

(they gave C- (70%) for the ps3 version)

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 for Wii includes all of these things. It also features drawing arrows on the screen to move your 11 players, flipping the Wii Remote to execute offside traps, and individually marking opponents for automated defensive coverage. If you're just going by screenshots or videos, it looks less like a soccer game and more like planning an invasion of Panama. But don't let that scare you off: The Wii edition of Pro Evo 2008 is the most interesting of all the console versions, and if you're a little burned out on the series' more traditional (and stagnant) offerings, it's also the most fun.

Once your brain makes that processing shift, you'll start to think more like the manager of the team than a player on it -- "yell" at your fullbacks to order an offside trap, or "tell" multiple midfielders to run particular routes into open space. Dribbling and maneuvering with the ball might take the most time to get used to, but passing -- especially through passing -- should click almost instantly, and it'll be tough to back to doing that with a standard controller. Using some of the more advanced techniques, like give-and-gos and queuing up one-touch passes by pointing the Wii Remote, really emulates the natural elegance of soccer in a way we haven't really seen before, and it's completely rewarding to score goals this way -- like "sending four attackers to crash the goal at different angles during a corner kick" rewarding. If the developers can get the defensive side of the game to feel as good next time, the whole thing will feel a little more even.

Hmm they dindt like the graphics and the defending system..1UP reviews are always strict..

very good interesting that they are marking it up because it offers somethin new although the graphics arent amazing

can't wait for this game, hopefully i can get it on friday if I can afford it. The ign review said it was great and everything but the review score didn't seem to match up with the review seeing as the 360 version got 8.6 aswell. I mean i know 8.6/10 would be amaxing in Edge but youve gotta translate socres to where they come from and the score didnt match up with how great they thought it was...well thats what i thought anyway, can't wait to get it.

IGN review was american and by general gamers. they dont appreicate the hardcore realistic football tactical elements that we yern for in this game. UK reviews should out this at least at 8.8 Great!

hi guys

wondering where is best 2 preorder from shopto or play. only £2 difference but not sure which has faster shipping?