NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

PES 2008 Pro Evolution Soccer

Great scoring from Famitsu. Anyone know how previous Winning Elevens have done with them?

As for NOM... check this for a cover:

thumb_screenshot_6273.jpg

Great scoring from Famitsu. Anyone know how previous Winning Elevens have done with them?

As for NOM... check this for a cover:

thumb_screenshot_6273.jpg

Famitsu normally review Winning Eleven games 34+/40. 35/40 is nice so I hope it means the controls are tight and responsive.

oooo hav 2 c b ut my copy of onm hasnt come either :(

any1 know a gd place 2 pre order as cnt c it on amazon or play?

28th of march

And apparently Okami is coming out that day too. Non-officially.

oooooo lots of choice

any1 know what the excact multiplayer options are ?

can u hav 2 player agaisnt each other or 2 player co op because tht is always fun and gets u arguin over the quality of your team mate :P

Interview transcript:

1. A new Pro Evolution Soccer

Enomoto: Since "Winning Eleven"'s first appearance in 1995 until today, this series has been published on numerous and various platforms, each of them giving the possibility to play this series of soccer video games with some kind of "buttons-type controllers", the game following each time the evolution of these controllers.

But now, in the face of the series' branching, and as we're aiming for creating a new type of gameplay, we must tackle the production of this new soccer game for the Wii. This time without a traditional controller, but a new interface called the "Wii Remote".

Chousokabe: In the case of the Wii, even though we've listed the WE series for this plateform since a while ago, this time, the game quite differs from the standard direction. On one hand, the WE series always evolved with the standard buttons-type controllers, and on the other hand, if we want to make a Wii soccer game, we have to think exclusively with the Wii in mind, without any porting involved, as I believe that using the Wii remote without bulding an original game/concept around it has no meaning. Now that's our occasion to build something out of that.

2. PES and the Wiimote

Enomoto: Before, the Wii announcement, I was hearing talks about how the Wii controller was buttons-less, and I couldn't help thinking: "What? How are you supposed to play games with that?" However, as soon as Nintendo allowed me to play some early demos, and specifically the fishing demo, this question answered itself.

At this time, (before the Wii announcement), I couldn't tell anybody about the Wii remote, but those from my team's staff who knew about my trip at Nintendo where asking me "So, how was it?". And despite the fact that I really had to share the secret with someone, everything I could tell them was "I can't say much about it yet, but what I can tell you is that the controller is pretty damn amazing." *laughs*

Chousokabe: I was hearing this kind of talks too, and I was becoming a little anxious from then on. However when, later, Enomoto-san told me his feelings on the subject, I finally understood.

After that, as we were trying to imagine how to adapt Winning Eleven to the Wii, it only took us a contact with the Wiimote to imagine the "Point to drag" system, and from then on, the ideas flowed.

At first, when we talked about this project to the production team, their answer was something like "Moving the player directly by dragging him with the pointer? Can you really do that?", and this confusion was understandable, as this was in fact an unprecedented control method for this type of game. But it was then that a programmer from the team, taking a rather positive approach, said "I just don't understand how this would work well... But let's discuss this point a bit more.", and that's when he made a prototype starting from the idea of "Pointing the player to manipulate him". His immediate response : "It really works!". What a turnaround, indeed.

In fact, in the process of building the solid basis of this gameplay, this led the staff's anxiety to slowly disappear, and this just by creating something fresh and new, and by changing the expectations.

Because despite the fact that the project was in early stage, given that we could already see through all this new system's possibilities, I think that inventing a new kind of soccer game really was the driving force behind our motives.

3. Truly born from a new control method

Chousokabe: So, the big feature of this updated build would be the Wiimote pointing, and the fact you can send a pass to any precise location on the field. Once you choose the player you want to pass to, just point him to send him directly the ball, or, you can also send the ball to an open space.

Of course, in the traditional WE series, if you want to pass the ball to a player, you can also send the ball to an open space (for your teammate to receive), but then it would take usually more than a moment of appreciation to develop the action intuitively. And so, the decisive functionality which differentiates current build from the traditional version is the "Free Run". Up to now in the series, only the player which holds the ball could be controlled, but in this new version, you can control an allied player even if he's not in possession of the ball, so you can really achieve a combination gameplay by controlling multiple players at the same time. This certainly is a materialization of the true form of the soccer game.

Enomoto: Obviously, the pass and the free run aren't the only actions that make the basis of the soccer game; there are also the dribble and the shoot, among others. And these actions too, can be controlled with just the Wiimote and the Nunchuk, and in a most intuitive way. So when the pass, the dribble, and the free run join together, it's possible to develop an advanced combination gameplay and then, nearly like in a real soccer game, you can successfully achieve almost anything you want in term of play.

Chousokabe: Speaking of the virtual reproduction of the actual soccer game, the free run controls functionality also appears to be the most evelated functionality when compared to the old control-scheme. However, there is also the fact that when using this functionality, you cannot directly, or only partly, control the movements of the player which holds the ball. This is also where the game concept of this new build differs from the traditional version.

In the traditional series, the fact that the game player only controls the player which holds the ball is entirely compensated by the fact that the computer controls the surrounding players. But in this new build, the game player can also take control of the surrounding players. In other words, the fact that the game player can now control the whole team and increases his role in the whole game puts, occasionally, the control of the player which holds the ball in the hands of the computer. Because while the way the computer and the player share duties differs , this proportion can be well thought out, and the comprehension might be rendered easier. For example: in the traditional series, in the case of the shoot, the game player had to control himself and entirely the strength and the direction of the shoot , but in the current build, there's a visual indication that the player [in game] is putting himself in position to shoot [when the game player flicks the nunchuk], and as the player (in game) is ready to shoot, the game player has to precisely adjust his action [strength and timing].

The game player's and the computer's duties varying all the time, the ball awareness and the team awareness on both sides are kept nicely balanced, I feel.

4. Trials and errors of a game without model

Chousokabe: This time, as we have what we call a "Real-time-indications-type soccer game", for the controls aren't similar to any other game, there have been a series of trials and errors. Especially regarding the use of the nunchuk control stick. At the start, as we were aiming for a completely new type of game, we went through a build that didn't use the control stick at all. However, what happened was that it was then easy to see the ball getting snatched away from the ball holder in the spaces where he had to move around. In the current build, because constructing an attack is important, it's primordial that you can move the ball-holding player around while attacking. This is why, along with concepts such as "Free run" and "Combination gameplay", the concept of dribbling with the control stick while setting up an attack formation was born. Speaking in other words, for this type of game, the control stick was created not specifically to dribble aggressively, but essentially to keep the ball [while the offensive formation is setting up], which is the new role the ball holder was given.

5. Entirely different sensations of gameplay

Chousokabe: The way the current build differs the most from the old build is basically that it has become an entirely new type of soccer game. There isn't not only the 1-on-1 aspect, as you must also manage the open spaces, or the number of defense lines, and thus, the match becomes about balancing the whole team. Because actions such as dribbling recklessly, or plunging to snatch the ball away are so minimized in this game, the difference of speed, and the sensation of speed in comparison to a type of game where those actions are plenty is definitely apparent.

But actually, we didn't change neither the speed of players such as Christiano Ronaldo, nor the speed of the ball, so you can still be able to enjoy the sensation of speed and the quick development of a soccer match.

In fact, while watching the videos in the gallery, don't you have the sensation of watching the game being played at the same tempo as a real soccer match at the TV?

6. A Natural Style of Soccer

Enomoto: In the actual soccer, players can adopt a play style that involves waiting at the very top of the field for the ball to be forwarded to them. In the past versions of WE, you couldn't order players to wait [for the ball] at a precise spot. But in the new version, as you can drag players and bring them very high on the field, you can also give them the instruction to wait for the ball right there.

Chosokabe: Among the production team, we called this tactic "Avalanche" *laughs*, but anyway, the fact is that putting all the team mates on the offence right after the kick-off [following a goal] is actually called "power play", which is a tactic that is possible in this new game.

Up until now in the series, because of the type of controller used, the games were quite action oriented, so to become more skilled, you should be counting on your reflexes, and you should also be pursuing to learn the game technics. So I think that even a person that liked soccer couldn't necessarily become good at the old-school WE game. This time, thanks to the new control scheme, I feel like the wall set up by the game technicality between every kind of soccer fan is, for once, reset.

And because the player's tactics and strategies will be, perhaps for the first time, animated in real time, provided that some players will already have the tactical development of the match in mind, the difference between an advanced player and a beginner player could fairly shrink, don't you think?

Enomoto: In the case of the old-school Winning Eleven series, when a soccer expert and a skilled action gamer would engage in a WE match, perphaps the gamer would end up being particularly strong. However, I would say that ideally, the player that can play a soccer game similarly to the real soccer SHOULD be the particularly strong too. And probably that in this new installment of the WE series, the skilled gamers will not remain unchallenged in their field. In fact, whether it is about the soccer expert who wants to perfectly master the controls, or the naturally skilled gamer, a match must be an enjoyment however way you choose to play.

7. New elements

Chosokabe: In this new installment, the "Master League" has been entirely replaced by a new mode called "Champions Road". It's a mode where you compose your own team by entering various tournaments, thus winning players or skills along the road. Your goal being to strengthen your team so that you can successfully complete all the tournaments. Regarding the Wi-Fi online Vs, we're currently working on it right up until optimization, as we're play testing the game at the same time. Regarding the quality of the connection, we've established three level of communication corresponding to three different quality of connection, depending on the comfort of the communication environment, so it can be adjusted for a more agreeable play session.

By the way, may I add the Japanese soccer team are actually sporting their brand new jersey?

8. Reflecting on their production

Enomoto: This time, as we were working on this new Wii installment of the Winning Eleven franchise, we really had to consider entirely new things. So, I really felt like our experience with traditional buttons-type controllers was, for this time, rendered useless. Because of that, to take up on the challenge, was chosen, not the traditional Takatsuka Team, but a team led by Chosokabe.

Consequently, by taking a different aim than the traditional WE team, we could make an entirely kind of new soccer game. And Takatsuka Seabass was very conscious of that too, and when I felt that, I was convinced that we could successfully complete this new build.

Chosokabe: Another important element from the real soccer that is often left out in the soccer video games is the fact of reconstructing the play. In the case of the old-school WE series the fact of reconstructing your entire play during the 90 minutes of play-time was an often left out element ; however, I feel like this is not the case in the new version. In fact, the interface being different, some different elements of the real soccer game reappear.

I could appear a little stubborn with this talk, but I would like to reiterate that not only this new version pretty much manages to change the old-school, abstract soccer of the traditional series into a game assimilated with the real soccer, but it is also creating a new concept of fun. And this, not only because the controls feel fresh, but also because the feeling of newness exhaled by the whole game as you're playing it is really pleasant.

9. To every player

Chosokabe: It must be said that the old school style and the new style aren't in competition at all. Because the fact is that as we are going in a completely different direction, the people that were brought in by the old school WE games can play and have fun too. If suddenly an advanced combination gameplay is impossible, you can still simply lead the ball holder straight in front of the goal and make him shoot to the goal from there. In fact, anyone has the possibility to play at the difficulty level anybody wish to play at.

Enomoto: The key expression of this version would be "Another Reality of Football".

Because we couldn't use the same game system as the traditional Winning Eleven series, this was really a big challenge for us. And the fact that we aimed for a game closer to the real soccer makes this version completely different than the traditional version.

And given [that for a while, probably] you will not be able to experience another soccer game like this brand new version of the Winning Eleven series, I certainly hope you enjoy it.

Source: http://wii.com/jp/creators-voice/wepm2008/index.html

And apparently Okami is coming out that day too. Non-officially.

OKami is coming out on the 25th in USA and they said there will be a little delay between USA and EU so I doubt it

ONM = 90% :D

Pros:

- Controls are simply fantastic

- Champions Road is addictive

- Tutorial is extremely handy (what kind of pro is that?)

- Full online wi-fi multiplayer

Cons:

- Defensive controls are disappointing!

Haven't read the review yet so don't know the details!!!

Okay, read the review and.....well......it's not an amazing review. The worst bit is about the defending. You don't control any of the defenders you just point at attackers and the computer will do it automatically!!! This is so fucking shit it makes me want to scream (one of my major pet peeves is when people fuck things up with the ridiculous decisions)!! Why the fuck would they do that? That means you don't control when you tackle or anything, they said you let goals in and think I could have stopped that if I could have controlled my defender - this is retarded!! One of my favourite things in football games is defending - I'm awesome at it, when to back off, when to get the foot in - there's nothing more satisfying then pulling off an amazing sliding tackle!!!!

This has pissed me off! Still going to get it but less excited now!!

PS Saying this, ONM could easily be wrong as they are awful! The controls they have for the fifa review are COMPLETELY wrong!!!!

Thanks for that Dazzy.

Does seem abit weird not being able to control the defense doesnt it? Im having second thoughts about it now.

That's clearly a load of bull plop about not being able to control the defence.

Just look at this vid:

Skip to 05:07, there's a breakdown of the defensive controls at that part.

That's clearly a load of bull plop about not being able to control the defence.

Just look at this vid:

Skip to 05:07, there's a breakdown of the defensive controls at that part.

And just like that my faith is restored :)

No guys, the video doesn't say anything different, the video actually confirms it. ONM say you click on the opposition and the computer does it all for you. The video says EXACTLY the same. They show the pointing at the player and then the players going in to tackle him!!! You don't control the defender himself :( What a load of shit!

PS Does anyone know if you can turn the arrows OFF for multiplayer?

shake the nunchunnk and you do a sliding tackle

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=179725

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=11644

even omn contradict themselves http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=2782

rom the defensive side of things, you can also man mark players and shake the Nunchuk to do a sliding tackle or bring the keeper out early to clear a loose ball.

I bet the reviewer spent 10 minutes wiuth the game in easy mode where the game plays itself. much of the reivew and scores were predetermings

No guys, the video doesn't say anything different, the video actually confirms it. ONM say you click on the opposition and the computer does it all for you. The video says EXACTLY the same. They show the pointing at the player and then the players going in to tackle him!!! You don't control the defender himself :( What a load of shit!

PS Does anyone know if you can turn the arrows OFF for multiplayer?

But that's like saying when you play fifa/pes now with a traditional control scheme, that once you press a button the computer does it for you. ::shrug:

ONM made it sound as if it was completely automated though, and it most certainly is not. You still have control over your defenders movement via the new control type by pointing at a player and pushing A, (I'm guessing it'll work with the analog stick method too). And you still control the timing of sliding tackles, clearances even the complete defensive line!

The way I see it, the defensive controls are as spot on as the rest of the game play. I think ONM just had a case of the old, we need something negative to say in our review syndrome, so decided to fabricate / exaggerate something just for the sake of it.

Classic. :laughing:

I hope it isn't as automated as it sounds, but here are some quotes:

"You're not actually able to choose a defender and move him with the analogue stick"

"You have to point at an opponent and your nearest defender mark him and tackle when HE DECIDES HE WANTS TO"

"You feel like a spectator sitting on the sidelines waiting to be called into action when one of your CPU drones wins the ball back"

I mean, that sounds so shit!! I hope they're wrong, it wouldn't surprise me but it's all too specific!!!

And nearest defender? I love holding B a CPU defender goes in for the tackle whilst I run on and wait if he gets skinned, or let the nearest defender track him whilst a further defender comes in with the tackle from behind or the side or whatever! The defedning on Pro Evo and Fifa is more tactical than the midfield/attack play and they've completely got rid of it!! And unnecesariy so! I don't understand how this new system is in anyway better!!!

Hope another review comes in which exlpains it better and why it works!!

I am sure they will fix it in the next iteration 2009... I hope they are not being like EA and holding back features (i.e. defence mechanics) to make future revisions more significant. Lets face it, as it is, there is enough innovation to make it a buy. We are forgiving as we dont know better

But we do know better!! Otherwise we wouldn't be pissed off about it :)

Yeah I'll get it and I'm sure it will be awesome, but I hate playing games thinking of what could have been, or NEXT YEAR WILL BE BETTER. I want a game and I'm just really happy with it, no significant flaws......

But we do know better!! Otherwise we wouldn't be pissed off about it :)

Yeah I'll get it and I'm sure it will be awesome, but I hate playing games thinking of what could have been, or NEXT YEAR WILL BE BETTER. I want a game and I'm just really happy with it, no significant flaws......

So true, so so true!

It looks great I agree. One thing i want to know is:

How do you play a REALLy long ball? Further than the screen allows you to?

I also want to know if there is a run button!