NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Columnar

The End of GameCube?

Has anyone noticed what is happening in America? Throughout the course of this year the GameCube has been getting a steady flow of titles! Granted most of them are movie tie-in games but still the console is being supported. As far as I am aware, the last PAL Cube game was released in February (Avatar: Legend of Aang) but the Yanks have had: TMNT (the movie one which I imported); Meet the Robinsons; Backyard Baseball 2K7, Surf's Up; Rataouille and has just recently had a version of Madden 08 come out (another one I am importing). Madden looked like the last ever GC game but now Disney Interactive have announced that 'Power Rangers: Super Legends 15th Anniversary' will see a GameCube release on Nov 6th this year!

Why is the GameCube effectively on life-support in the US but now dead in Europe even though NoA said that GC production had stopped yet NoE & NoJ say they still produce, distribute and sell consoles even though we haven't got any more games for it? I'm very confused:confused: (and don't even mention the cancellation of Radio Allergy because it was a tragedy :( )

i think most of those games are being launched on the Wii any way.The GC is dead its sad but its not a shock. Maybe it was still selling well in america. In sure as hell wasnt here though.

That's what I thought. I'm not saying I want any of these games (apart from TMNT & Madden) I just thought that it was a bit strange that the Cube was still getting these kids games but then I suppose the more consoles a game comes out for the more moolah to the publisher.

Sorry to break the news:(

It got cancelled back in June apparently due to "Retails reluctance to stock GC titles". O3 (the publisher due to bring RA out) are looking into releasing a compilation on Wii that would include 'Chaos Field' (another US-Only GC release), 'Radio Allergy' and 'Karous' (Dreamcast game released in March this year).

Well some of those games sound truly awful, and the reason the GC has had a resurgence is because of Wii compatibility ...

I'm sure that there'll be games coming out for the Wii for years to come in Japan. Last time I checked, there were still coming games for Dreamcast there, although that might be coming to an end as the manufacture of GD-roms and Dreamcast crystal cases should end, or maybe even has ended (although the DC can read CD-roms, and you can start retailing DC games in regular crystalcases, DVD-boxes or maybe even old-fashioned gigantic cardboard boxes).

But the GBA was on life support for a long time after the launch of the DS. That period of time sucked, though, since many developers made GBA games, then ported them to the DS, and only added shortcuts to special attacks on the touch screen.

The GC is however doing much better than the N64. The last N64 games (Tony Hawk 2 and Pokemon Stadium 2 here in Sweden) were released four months before the GC was launched, which made gaming mags really empty for a while.

What angers me is that older Gamecube software have been getting a huge spike in interest in recent months. Damn you all! I should be the only person in this country to have nought bought Pikmin 2! I'll still never pay upwards of a RRP for a used title.

I don't have Pikmin 2 either. I'm angry that I didn't have more money when I was younger, I never got chance to get 90% of GameCube games I wanted. Now they're either in bad condition or really pricey.

My gamecube still gets more use than the Wii =/ Mainly cos the gamecube is in my room and my housemates hog the loungeroom TV watching fantastic television like Lost, Prison Break, and House. *rollseyes*

Im always picking up cheap 2nd hand games from game stores and ebay. You can still score some good bargains :) But some games u just cant get cheaply, namely Mario Tennis and Pikmin 2 :(

Funny thing is I got £30+ (I think...) from selling Pikmin 2 on Amazon. That's not funny, you say...? I got it free from subscribing to ONM. Hah.

Rare games though? I'd say the Megaman Collections. Seeing as they got no UK release and were rare in the USA too. I have the original collection, but not X.

Probably Drgaonball Z Sagas. That's rare too. Have that.

Ty Tasmanian Tiger 3. Now, that's rare. No UK release, no Japanese release either, I think. Me and my bro thought the first two was ace, was never able to get this one though.

Ty Tasmanian Tiger 3. Now, that's rare. No UK release, no Japanese release either, I think. Me and my bro thought the first two was ace, was never able to get this one though.

If you can find I-Ninja or Scaler, those didn't come out in EUR either, both great platformers. Came out here on other platforms.

The US only movie-tie-ins may be worth keeping an eye on, if they get good reviews they'll probably be worth getting now & flogging on ebay later. Already GC Twilight Princess is starting to show its value (not that i expect those you mentioned to be anywhere near as polished as TP tho!)

If you can find I-Ninja or Scaler, those didn't come out in EUR either, both great platformers. Came out here on other platforms.

The US only movie-tie-ins may be worth keeping an eye on, if they get good reviews they'll probably be worth getting now & flogging on ebay later. Already GC Twilight Princess is starting to show its value (not that i expect those you mentioned to be anywhere near as polished as TP tho!)

Feels like you should take this in the rare gamecube game thread...

Sign in to follow this